Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Majorian

Old April 9th, 2017, 11:13 PM
I've been putting off grabbing RW for a while. I own other LWD products and have convinced several friends to buy them as well.

The final obstacle between finally pulling the trigger for myself and players is the Cloud Service.

I don't really care for subscriptions, and while I understand there has been a period of free(?) cloud service, that time won't last forever.
Currently I keep all my game stuff backed up with symlinks and some old grandfathered free cloud.

Not that I have any aversion to paying LWD for products, but is there a way to get my players their content without using the LWD proprietary cloud? I'm trying to avoid a situation that would be redundant for me.

Thanks.
Majorian is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 9th, 2017, 11:47 PM
I'm fairly certain that player version requires access to the cloud.

However, if you are working purely with GM stuff, then you can perform local backups (and even copy the backups to other computers) without requiring the cloud.
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Majorian

Old April 10th, 2017, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I'm fairly certain that player version requires access to the cloud.
Can anyone confirm?

Is there a way in which I can allow players access to content without the cloud (or even the player edition)?
Majorian is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old April 10th, 2017, 12:52 AM
You could use THIS and export to word or HTML and that that with the players?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old April 10th, 2017, 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorian View Post
Can anyone confirm?

Is there a way in which I can allow players access to content without the cloud (or even the player edition)?
giving anyone besides yourself access to your realms requires the cloud service. Even once the web viewer becomes available AIUI this will be the case.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old April 10th, 2017, 03:30 AM
Yeah, local display (Player View) or exporting only revealed content and converting it to something useful are the non-LWD Cloud Service ways to show stuff to your players.

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Majorian

Old April 10th, 2017, 08:59 AM
Well I own it now.
Majorian is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old April 10th, 2017, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorian View Post
Well I own it now.
I have some advice for you.

- First watch the video tutorials, even work with them with the provided realm download.

- Second create a goof/temp/play realm and use that as an initial testing board. Get a feel.

- Third check out the videos provided by many of the community, that area has some great works and threads that can be a huge boon for ideas.

- Lastly, do not be afraid to ask here. There some tremendously talented people here using RW. there are as many ways to do or use RW as there are people in the forums. All are right, all are wrong, but one of them is right for you or will lead you to the new right. The journey is as important as the destination.

DO not worry about entering or doing something wrong. RW is immensely forgiving, and I have yet to discover anything I have entered and wanted to keep, that couldn't be corrected/changed/updated/reused the new way I wanted.

Using RW is a constant evolution and learning process. Embrace it, and it will embrace you back.

Welcome to the new frontier of electronic campaign and content delivery. Pull up a chair, grab a drink, and share.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV

Last edited by Exmortis; April 10th, 2017 at 09:33 AM.
Exmortis is offline   #8 Reply With Quote