Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

monsterfurby

Old June 16th, 2015, 02:22 PM
Following from http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53183

Current situation
Global categories remain visible in the category management screen at all times, even if the user does not wish to use them. The user has the ability to hide these categories, but that only hides them from view OUTSIDE the category management screen - they remain visible within and make spotting custom created and possibly more relevant categories much harder, hurting usability.

Customizing global categories by deleting irrelevant snippets as a workaround is also not possible.

Expected obstacles & Reasoning
The reason implied for this is that major changes to global categories would render the realm incompatible with a possible content store and content import function.

While the content store (as explained elsewhere) is a major pillar of RW's development, another pillar is the tool's customizability. Unless users can fully and entirely customize their way of working with it - including building all categories from scratch conveniently and without unnecessary distractions, that second pillar is not fully built.

Proposed solution
First of all, unlocking should mean UNLOCKING, i.e. opening the system/category up to all possible actions by the user - at the user's own risk. There is already a large warning screen/popup that sufficiently explains the risk of tinkering with global categories.

Even if deleting a category outright is not an option due to the way the database structure is set up, it would be great to permanently hide categories, including from the category management view. This would retain content store compatibility AND clean up the category mangement view - thus, it seems like a preferable solution. To recover categories, there could be an "unhide all" button in the settings menu.

I'd appreciate any input on this idea from fellow users and devs alike
monsterfurby is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 16th, 2015, 06:32 PM
I like the idea of being able to hide any hidden categories in category management. More exactly, it would be nice to toggle between showing and hiding hidden categories.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old June 16th, 2015, 10:06 PM
I'd like to be able to:
  • Hide/show hidden Categories and Tag Domains (1) in their respective lists.
  • Delete the global Categories and Tag Domains.
  • Start a realm with no Categories or Tag Domains. (2)

1: The Global Tag Domains have all of the same issues as the Global Categories and should be treated exactly the same.

2: Starting a realm without a template is a shortcut for deleting all of the globals; if you can delete you should be able to start clean.

Last edited by Parody; June 16th, 2015 at 10:16 PM.
Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 18th, 2015, 01:15 AM
Interesting. I can see how it can be usefull.

For starters just getting an option to truly hide the hidden items in the categories and tag domains would be very useful and might not (honestly, I have no idea) require much in the way of programming.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old June 18th, 2015, 05:23 PM
How much time do people spend in category management after they've set up their realms? Does anyone actually look at the categories after they have things established?
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old June 18th, 2015, 05:31 PM
Probably not, but it would be awfully helpful when first setting up your realm if you do a lot of customization.

For me this is a nice to have, not a must have. There are many other things I would much rather see first (ahem...calendars), but it is still worth an upvote to me.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old June 18th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I use it after having started my realm.

But then, I don't copy a commercial world into my realm - so I make it up as I go along.

But I agree with MNBlockHead - other things are more important, such as calendars :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote