Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Kendall-DM
Spy

Old February 8th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Personally, I don't trust Microsoft products to be complete on release, that has been a pretty consistent enough thing they have done that I just can't jump on board until they prove otherwise.

The SP model is gone in favor of updates (which happen somewhat quarterly, or bi-yearly). However, since they have gone to this approach, everyone that I've talked to in the industry about it thinks there are two things going on. First, that the 'updates' are just mini-SP (they are structured and released in nearly the same way, at least for Win 8.1 it has been). Second, the reason to move away from the 'model' of SP releases is it has a sort of negative stigma for Microsoft, so they've just re-branded it with the hopes that everyone will see it more positively.

I, for one, am not holding my breath. Visual Studio 2014 still has some crash bugs that that were supposed to get fixed in 'updates' but still occur on Win 8.1 occasionally. Their KB approach is really not user-friendly in the least. Add to that the November update for Win 8.1 required me to get the May update first before I could install it. That sounds a lot like what we did with SPs. So I intend to wait, but I will eventually get it onto most of my machines (though I will keep VMs with other versions, you know, because that's what developers need to do).

My two cents, for what it's worth.
Kendall-DM is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old February 8th, 2015, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
Personally, I don't trust Microsoft products to be complete on release, that has been a pretty consistent enough thing they have done that I just can't jump on board until they prove otherwise.
Software complete on release? No such thing, in the past, now, or the future. From Microsoft or otherwise.

Version 1.0 is merely a state of being for the software package, it is between v0.90 and v1.1, no more no less. It has just become a "recognized" state for general consumption by its intended consumer base. Again nothing more, nothing less.

IF completeness were the case, no software would ever mature from v1.0, and you would have to purchase again for v2.0 (which would really be just v1.1).

Take Hero Lab, we are at 6.xx and yet to this day features in the CoreRule Book for Pathfinder remain missing from it. So do you trust Lone Wolf? Did you have to pay beyond v1.0?

Datasets are not part of the Hero Lab core, those are add-ons and totally out of scope.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #12 Reply With Quote