Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EvilDrK

Old June 21st, 2014, 10:35 AM
This started under an "Can't find updates thread", but I'm reposting this with Linux in the Subject line in the hopes of hitting the target market better and finding someone who fixed or has thoughts as to how to fix it will read it.

AS some might have seen/followed here:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...885#post185885
and somewhat here:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?t=22746
there are some troubles with the latest version and updates that look to be linked to the certificate change. Don't think this is something Lone Wolf did and I don't want to come off as bad mouthing them (I'm not - but I'm frustrated as heck with this - so I can see how it might look that way!)

I run HL on 2 machines both Linux, both were working fine updates and all before I went to Origins. Then when I tried to load after the Cert change, no dice. OK no biggie I can wait for updates for a bit. Or maybe do them manually. I did check into fixing the problem, but not really getting anywhere. The wine folks tell me that WINE just knows the certs from the system, the LW folks are not sure what to tell me and have been pretty helpful under the circumstances, since I'm technically running their software where it wasn't intended. Looking at the ERROR output it might have something to do with the CERT being RAS based and WINE not liking that. It's getting out of my level of Tech Geek, I need a higher level one to show me the way...

Well something I did trying to fix this has borked something else as such things do and now the Laptop is asking to move the liscence to a new computer (since reinstalling WINE probably makes HL think it's a new computer even though the files haven't moved an inch.) So now I'm stuck on one machine until Lone Wolf gets back to me to get my permission to reinstall stuff. Add to that that the whole "can't connect for updates" isn't filling me with confifdence that I'll even be able to get this fucnctional once they do since I'll need to be able to talk to the servers to get the liscence stuff set.

I'm about this [--] close to giving up and just accepting I've donated $60 to the "you're not on Windows - so since they don't support your OS you should have looked further" Which REALLY sux as I like the program but if it's not gonna run on my machine well then WHAT DID I PAY for???? ANd I really don't want dual boot or use an XP VM just for this program, though it's looking like that might be my only option.

Again I know WINE is not exactly windows, so if something's borked it's not Lone Wolf's fault.
But C'mon SOMEONE out there must be using the newer stuff under Linux and have it working. It wasn't just me using it under wine based on the forums.

Also to the Lone Wolf Folks - I love your software, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work on a native Linux Version!!
EvilDrK is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 25th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Hey there. I posted in the thread you linked to, but I wanted to also post my response here:

We're looking into this and we hope to have it resolved soon, but we're rushing to get Hero Lab for iPad ready for PaizoCon in a couple of weeks, and we likely won't have time to get to it until sometime after 4th of July weekend.

Once we're over our current crunch mode, we should hopefully be able to tackle this and get Linux users back up and running.
liz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
EvilDrK

Old June 26th, 2014, 07:45 AM
The Workaround that was posted in the bug listed in the WINEHQ forum seems to work for me. Good to know y'all are still looking into it, and I hope you find out the problem and make sure it will stay fixed!

I would advise those who try the workaround to make sure:
A) install Herolab is in its own Wine Prefix / Wine Bottle I called mine $HOME/.wine_hl
I'm not going into all that it's out there already done better than I will do it - look
in the Wine Wiki
B) THEN use the winetricks wininit workaround

That way if there's changes other problems you don't wipe out your default Wineprefix and have other headaches like I did - ahh growing pains
EvilDrK is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
happywanderer

Old July 7th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I posted a solution at the end of this thread:

http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...t=49719&page=2

(Once the post is approved by a moderator of course, it will show up....)
happywanderer is offline   #4 Reply With Quote