Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Please do the following...

1. Go through the license activation wizard again.
2. When it prompts you to restart Hero Lab, say NO.
3. Exit Hero Lab.
4. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where you installed Hero Lab. By default, this will be "c:\HeroLab".
5. Look for a file name "hpkey.lic".
6. Verify that file has a size of approximately 2,500 bytes and that it has a date/time of when you completed the wizard.
7. Try opening the file within Notepad. You should see a bunch of garbage that starts with "LWDK".
YES

Based on the above, here are some important things to try and/or answer for me:

1. If the date/time of the file is not when you completed the wizard, delete it manually and try again.
SHOWS NOW

2. If the file contains something different from what I describe above, please post the first bunch of lines from the file for me to look at.
SHOWS LWDK

3. Did you install Hero Lab in its default location or somewhere else?
DEFAULT (also cleared folder before this install)

4. If you installed Hero Lab beneath the "Program Files" folder, then you could be running into a variety of problems that have been outlined in other threads here on the forums. The simplest fix in this case is to uninstall Hero Lab and re-install it in its default location. Otherwise, you'll likely have some hoops to jump through based on the problems you've been encountering. If you want to jump through the hoops, we'll work with you to resolve them - it's entirely your choice.
N/A

That's a good set of things to check for starter. Based on your answers, we can pursue appropriate avenues to get this solved for you.

------------------

EDIT:

I appreciate the help, if I seem frustrated, know that it is because I am frustrated at the situation and not any of you.

I just transferred everyone's characters to Hero Lab.. and with 5 level 6 pathfinder characters plus loot (some of which is custom) it took a lot of time.

Before I reloaded I saved everything off including an image of the working Windows 7 install with active HL on it, but i'd rather not revert from Pro to Starter if I can avoid it.

Last edited by LetoIgnarus; March 30th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
LetoIgnarus is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Everything sounds like it is working exactly the way it should on your computer, except for the demo mode issue.

Fortunately, the email address you use here on the forums is the same one used for a Hero Lab license in our system. So I was able to figure out your forums email and then find what is most likely your license.

Based on that license, the game system selected when the license was activated is World of Darkness. However, the "demo mode" screen shot you provided above uses the skin for Pathfinder. That tells me that you are trying to load the Pathfinder game system, but Pathfinder SHOULD only be available in demo mode because the license doesn't currently provide access to that game.

Please make sure you select the World of Darkness game system and try loading again. That game system should load up fine with the license that is linked to your email address.
rob is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Everything sounds like it is working exactly the way it should on your computer, except for the demo mode issue.

Fortunately, the email address you use here on the forums is the same one used for a Hero Lab license in our system. So I was able to figure out your forums email and then find what is most likely your license.

Based on that license, the game system selected when the license was activated is World of Darkness. However, the "demo mode" screen shot you provided above uses the skin for Pathfinder. That tells me that you are trying to load the Pathfinder game system, but Pathfinder SHOULD only be available in demo mode because the license doesn't currently provide access to that game.

Please make sure you select the World of Darkness game system and try loading again. That game system should load up fine with the license that is linked to your email address.
I have one license for WoD and two for Pathfinder, I don't mind PMing you them if that is kosher. I've tried all licenses at one point.

I definitely had Pathfinder up, running and licensed at one point. The latest 2 licenses *should* be pathfinder.

EDIT: You are totally right, I threw WoD on there and it says it is licensed. The crappy part is, I definitely used my newest license for which I chose Pathfinder and NOT WoD...

My group decided they didnt like WoD after my first purchase (of the WoD license) so my second and third were supposed to be Pathfinder.

Last edited by LetoIgnarus; March 30th, 2011 at 08:00 PM.
LetoIgnarus is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
So license purchase dates are as follows
A 9/11/10 (WoD)
B 9/16/10 (Pathfinder after group revolted)
Was installed and active for a long while.

Then I reloaded my machine, couldnt get the initial licenses to work (with Pathfinder specifically)

C 3/29/11 (Pathfinder, cuz doesn't hurt to have a second one)

License C and B both show as WoD licenses now.. what the effbiscuits?
LetoIgnarus is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'm just an idiot.. tell me this, If I use one of the active licenses (for WoD) and add the data package for Pathfinder, does it just update within the install or do I further screw myself?

At this point I'm close to just spending some more money if it gets the dang thing working.
LetoIgnarus is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Wow.. I reall AM just an idiot, apparently my brother decided to use my CC to buy Pathfinder (as a standalone) and install it on my netbook instead of adding the package to my existing licenses..

Sorry for wasting everyone's time. I'm adding the Pathfinder stuff to my licenses now..

God I feel stupid..

Guess who isn't allowed to play Pathfinder anymore lol
LetoIgnarus is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Update: Surprise surprise, when you do it right it actually works!

Again, apologies for wasting everyone's time.

LetoIgnarus is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
At least we finally figured out what the problem was and you got it sorted out. That's the critical detail when all is said and done, right? :-)

Oh, and this means your brother used a different email address with the separate license purchase, so please keep that in mind. That difference could potentially cause problems in the future if you lose your license numbers and use our automated system to have them re-sent to you. Different email addresses will result in different license numbers being sent to you, so you might want to switch one of them over and have them all tied to the same email address. :-)
rob is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
LetoIgnarus

Old March 30th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
At least we finally figured out what the problem was and you got it sorted out. That's the critical detail when all is said and done, right? :-)

Oh, and this means your brother used a different email address with the separate license purchase, so please keep that in mind. That difference could potentially cause problems in the future if you lose your license numbers and use our automated system to have them re-sent to you. Different email addresses will result in different license numbers being sent to you, so you might want to switch one of them over and have them all tied to the same email address. :-)
Thus compounding the fail.. i shall strangle him.

Thanks again.
LetoIgnarus is offline   #19 Reply With Quote