Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Brolthemighty

Old February 24th, 2020, 01:45 PM
Okay, so one of my players has gotten an Epic Boon I've designed that's a double edged boon. There's benefits but also a curse. Anyways, I'm working on making it work and ended up necro'ing a thread and thought that would be enough...but realized there's enough issues I needed my own thread. So here's the boon/ability, and where I'm at on the scripting. And my problem:

Boon Primal Fury
You unleash your beast form's inner fury. You gain advantage on Strength checks and Strength saving throws. When you make an attack you gain a bonus to the damage roll equal to your proficiency bonus. You gain the Reckless Attack ability, allowing you to throw caution to the wind and gain advantage on attack rolls at the cost of leaving yourself open. Finally, if you are able to cast spells, you can't cast them or concentrate on them while in a state of Primal Fury.
Curse – Bloodlust: At the start of your turn, if you have taken any damage since the beginning of your last turn, you must make a Wisdom saving throw to maintain control. The DC equals 10, or half of the total damage you’ve taken from attacks since your last turn, whichever number is higher. On a failed save, you must move directly towards the nearest creature to you and use the Attack action against that creature. Your first attack that hits is considered a critical hit. If there is more than one possible target, the DM chooses the target. You then regain control for the remainder of your turn.

So a lot of it is just free-text. At least the curse and such, and that's what I did. The scripting, that I can see are these:
1. Calculate charges based on HD
2. Check to see if enabled on the In-Play tab
3. If enabled, add proficiency bonus to damage
4. If enabled, add advantage to Str checks and saves
5. If enabled, add Reckless Attack

I have the charges calculating right. Thanks to help from the necro'd thread, I have the scripts for adding proficiency damage. However, I tried just bootstrapping Reckless Attack and that didn't seem to work. I was looking at the Barbarian Rage ability, but the first script had me confused. It forwards a tag to hero "Hero.raging" But I can't figure out the why or where that tag came from. Any help with figuring some of this out? I've been working on this while out of work with the flu, and my 103 fever hasn't been very helpful to making my brain do the worky thing.
Brolthemighty is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old February 24th, 2020, 01:50 PM
The raging tag is, I believe, built into HL. I used it for the Circle of Spores druid from Ravnica, as a way to have an alternative "mode" for the hero, with certain things becoming active when it's on. I really just played around with Rage to get there.

Hope that helps.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old February 24th, 2020, 01:53 PM
I'll look into the Circle of Spores and see what you did there to get some inspiration then. This is essentially a rage, and I definitely prefer not reinventing a wheel, so I'll see what's already been done. Thank you.
Brolthemighty is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old February 24th, 2020, 02:34 PM
Okay, so I have what I thought was the nitty gritty done, but I still can't bootstrap Reckless Attack (gives a weird error code) and my scripting for granting advantage isn't working. Here's the error I get when bootstrapping Reckless Attack (nothing added, just a bootstrap)

Attempt to access field 'cTotalLev' that does not exist for thing 'EP5CbnPrmlFry'
Location: 'field calculate' script for Field 'xTotalLev' near line 46
- - -
Attempt to access field 'cSpcBonLev' that does not exist for thing 'EP5CbnPrmlFry'
Location: 'field calculate' script for Field 'xTotalLev' near line 46

But I'm not finding any scripts on either Reckless Attack, or my own ability (EP5CbnPrmlFry) that uses those. For better reference, I'm attaching my file.
Attached Files
File Type: email Ed_Custom_PC_Stuff.user (31.4 KB, 2 views)
Brolthemighty is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old February 24th, 2020, 05:51 PM
So, Primal Fury looks like a Boon and you're trying to bootstrap a class special ability to it. HL expects class specials to be bootstrapped only to Custom Abilities - which pass on the xLevel values to their bootstraps.

You'll want to recreate the class special Reckless Attack as a racial special or somthing to fake it into working.

As far as advantage on saves/skills goes I've never seen it done with a Helper.Advantage. Usually to get the * by the skill/save it's something like:

#situational[hero.child[svSTR], "You have advantage to STR saves.", field[thingname].text]
dungeonguru is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old February 24th, 2020, 06:52 PM
Huh, weird that it would be built into the Rage class special and work that way then. I’ll try your way. Looks like I’ll be trying that. As for Reckless Attack, I couldn’t even find any real scripting in it...so I wasn’t sure what was happening. I’ll see what I can do, thank you. I didn’t realize boons couldn’t bootstrap the class abilities.
Brolthemighty is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Brolthemighty

Old February 27th, 2020, 02:11 PM
Okay, so I recreated Reckless Attack as an Epic boon (figured I could just do it that way). And it...kinda did. It now shows up as an additional boon picked, but in the Special Abilities tab, it shows...but is also grayed out and (Not equipped). I'm not even seeing where it designates it NEEDS equipped in the coding.

Edit: Okay, fiddling around with it, I have it almost complete. Everything is working, except the Reckless Attack is saying "Not equipped" on the Specials tab. Can't figure out why.

Last edited by Brolthemighty; February 27th, 2020 at 04:06 PM.
Brolthemighty is offline   #7 Reply With Quote