Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Exmortis

Old November 12th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Distributing what we've created (from a handout to an entire campaign world) to people who aren't using Realm Works, which are the vast majority of players and GMs.

Now what I want is data export, not printing, but the steps are the same: create queries, then format the resulting data in a useful arrangement, then present the result to us (the users) in a way with which we can work.
Thanks and interesting. From my own perspective I would not have even given RW a passing thought IF my entire group was not already using WinTel devices at the gaming table.

HeroLab as an example, has revolutionized our game at the table, along with another "not entirely legal" product a friend uses. Everything I look at now is to leverage this use of electronics, and use it to our advantage. To the end desire to improve our game enjoyment, not hinder it.

To all who thought I was "anti-printing/export" I am not, I do not mean to insult people on features I am not interested in, so I did not post to derail it as a feature, but merely to understand why this particular GM wanted it based on his words.

Seems my gaming table group is far less common then I imagined considering the forum, as with most asumptions.

Personally I hope everyone gets the features they desire in a timely manner, however being logical some will wait longer then they want I am sure.
Exmortis is offline   #111 Reply With Quote
pickin_grinnin

Old November 27th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervish View Post
my whole reason for getting realm works was so i could collate my content and then package it up nicely and export not as digital hosting solution.
Me, too. I don't know if I didn't read deeply enough into the information available at the time, but I was really surprised to find that I couldn't export my information in some way. Like you, I bought it to use as a way for me to build, visualize, and collate my campaign information.
pickin_grinnin is offline   #112 Reply With Quote
pickin_grinnin

Old November 27th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
HeroLab as an example, has revolutionized our game at the table, along with another "not entirely legal" product a friend uses. Everything I look at now is to leverage this use of electronics, and use it to our advantage. To the end desire to improve our game enjoyment, not hinder it.
The group I currently play with allows the use of laptops to look up rules on d20pfsrd.com. The three of us who have Hero Lab use them to help the others level up their characters in-between adventures, too. Other than that, we don't use electronics at the table. That's the way I run things when I GM, too.

Almost all of us are IT professionals. I have had too many issues in the past, though (with numerous groups), with people checking their email, doing web browsing, etc. when they need to focus on the game.

I'm also not there to play an MMO - I'm there to do old school RPGing. If I wanted to play a computer game, I would do that instead. That's why I don't do things like Roll20, either.

I have no issue with people who want to do everything electronically. That's just another way to do things. In my experience, though, most people in the rpg world don't want to go that route completely. They still want to have printouts available.

Even if I were happy sticking to all-electronic materials, I would still want data export capabilities. I started programming on the original Apple II back in the 70s, and have lost too much work over the years to proprietary products that suddenly ceased to be supported. I also don't like to have my data tied into the limited list of options available to it - I like to be able to manipulate and reuse it easily.
pickin_grinnin is offline   #113 Reply With Quote
nichollsr

Old November 30th, 2014, 06:19 AM
The ability to print out anything i load into the software is key for me. Im not going to load a single thing into the software until i can selectively print. For now i will continue to use MS Word, Excel etc.

I know this goes against what a lot of others think but i want the software to help me manage my campaign. I dont allow or bring IT to the gaming table and therefore its imperative i can print stuff out prior to the game.
nichollsr is offline   #114 Reply With Quote
pickin_grinnin

Old December 1st, 2014, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichollsr View Post
The ability to print out anything i load into the software is key for me. Im not going to load a single thing into the software until i can selectively print. For now i will continue to use MS Word, Excel etc.
From reading these forums and other ones on Internet, I think a pretty big percentage of Realm Works customers - and potential ones - feel the same way, and feel that this is a much bigger issue than the calendar and such.
pickin_grinnin is offline   #115 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old December 1st, 2014, 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickin_grinnin View Post
From reading these forums and other ones on Internet, I think a pretty big percentage of Realm Works customers - and potential ones - feel the same way, and feel that this is a much bigger issue than the calendar and such.
We will have to wait until the poll is produced before we know whether people prefer printing or calendar as their primary missing feature.
Farling is offline   #116 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 1st, 2014, 09:38 AM
I'm Torn here.... Pickin brings up several valid points I have thought often of myself, and though my group does not have the "no electronics" protocol, I can certainly understand both sides.
Quote:
The group I currently play with allows the use of laptops to look up rules on d20pfsrd.com. The three of us who have Hero Lab use them to help the others level up their characters in-between adventures, too. Other than that, we don't use electronics at the table. That's the way I run things when I GM, too.
Character progression is one of the features that an electronic format brings. I would add that having herolab as an electronic sheet instead of a printed copy allows my players to simply check/uncheck a box for changing effects, conditions, weapon types, spells cast, or studied, etc without recalculations on their "hard copy sheet". Things like fatigue, rage, spell effects are handled much faster now. I long for the day when if ever, LWD makes the Herolab "Live" allowing me to updated conditions hitpoints, etc on the fly as played.

Quote:
Almost all of us are IT professionals. I have had too many issues in the past, though (with numerous groups), with people checking their email, doing web browsing, etc. when they need to focus on the game.
I agree and it is a distraction, not only to the player doing it but to those around. We actually do two things, one is an "at the movies" approach. No viewing phones, texting phones on vibrate. as to the laptop web browsing users, I simply locked down the router, so no access, all the PCs have access to my gaming "intranet" which gives them access to the server for their updated pors, notes, researches, etc, but still keeps them game immersed.

Quote:
I'm also not there to play an MMO - I'm there to do old school RPGing. If I wanted to play a computer game, I would do that instead. That's why I don't do things like Roll20, either.
Agree with the MMO LOL I try to emphasize the difference between ROLL play and ROLE play at our table. BUT I do utilize D20pro for mapping (simply because it is faster & more cost effective to make and update maps electronically). Doing the maps electronically, allows my players to snapshot them (if they have the cartography skill & are literate), make their own notes, and if they even want, sell said maps later.

Quote:
I have no issue with people who want to do everything electronically. That's just another way to do things. In my experience, though, most people in the rpg world don't want to go that route completely. They still want to have printouts available.
I agree, what ever works for you, and I suppose my group fits somewhere in between.... I'm less concerned with being able to print than to put all my data into something with NO means to get that data back, whether that be as a hard copy or a default electronic format.

Quote:
Even if I were happy sticking to all-electronic materials, I would still want data export capabilities. I started programming on the original Apple II back in the 70s, and have lost too much work over the years to proprietary products that suddenly ceased to be supported. I also don't like to have my data tied into the limited list of options available to it - I like to be able to manipulate and reuse it easily.
DITTO to that... I started with a TI99-4a and like you if I am willing to invest the effort of putting my data in, I want the effort of the developer to give me the means of getting MY work out.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #117 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 2nd, 2014, 05:07 AM
Quote:
To this point wasting time did not suddenly appear with the computer. I have had this discussion with two of my CIOs now, and reality is, time wasting was here long before solitaire.

Smoke break, the water cooler, other peoples desk, the lunch room, magazines, news paper, the hallway chat, and just the plain old fashion phone were all ways people wasted time at the office, no facebook in sight.

Same as the gaming table, talking about that last episode of game of Thrones, lastest movie, review, game, girl/guy, or what ever is in the news of the day. Each is a distraction that happens with out a comptuer. One thing I have found is, the computer actually has not added to distractions, they were always there. It has just changed them.
Exmortis is offline   #118 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old December 2nd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
To this point wasting time did not suddenly appear with the computer. I have had this discussion with two of my CIOs now, and reality is, time wasting was here long before solitaire.

Smoke break, the water cooler, other peoples desk, the lunch room, magazines, news paper, the hallway chat, and just the plain old fashion phone were all ways people wasted time at the office, no facebook in sight.

Same as the gaming table, talking about that last episode of game of Thrones, lastest movie, review, game, girl/guy, or what ever is in the news of the day. Each is a distraction that happens with out a comptuer. One thing I have found is, the computer actually has not added to distractions, they were always there. It has just changed them.
+1. If people don't want to pay attention they won't. The smartphone didn't cause this it just made it more obvious in some ways.

A game I am in as a player the one player knits during the game. She never has a clue what is going on because all her attention is on the knitting.

[smartass comment]
Maybe you need to bring some excitement to your game to keep your players focused!
[/smartass comment]

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #119 Reply With Quote
Laruuk

Old December 9th, 2014, 10:46 AM
+1 for Printing and Exporting!
Laruuk is offline   #120 Reply With Quote