Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - User Projects

Notices

SAbel

Old December 22nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
Hey out there any interest in Boot Hill (3rd edition) from the old TSR. It is a simple rule set, cowboys RPG.

I am working it through to see if it helps me understand more of the AK b/c it is simple, and that should help me make sense of what is going on behind HL. Unlike my working with L5R which is helping understand how to create large headaches LOL, but I gain some ground each time, I think.
SAbel is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old January 4th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Silly me and thinking simple would not cause problems LOL. Attributes are in (for the most part), all weapon skills are in, 4 out of 51 work skills in. Still working Gear and weapons.
Things that are going to be hard:
Making a horse (pages 58 - 59), they have special skills and tricks that can be added so may have to create a tab just for "building" your horse (LOL it was very important part of the game)
Making difference between work and weapon skills
1. they progress at different values work are rate 1 to 20+ and weapon are 1 to 5+ at start.
2. Weapon skills can only be half of the starting points for skills spent at character creation.
3. Depending on total attriubtes = the amount of points a player gets to spend on skills (low the attributes the more skills you get, range is attributes total of: 27 - 40 = 10 skills, 41- 62 = 8 skills, 63-80 = 6 skills)
Making Exp spending work in the game. You spend your exp to increase characters attributes, work and weapon skills but each has a value for how much exp to increase by a point which is dependant on what the current value of thing you are trying to increase (page 21 Experience) AKA to increase a skill by 1 point in the range of 7- 15 = 100 exp, 16- 19 = 200 exp, and 20+ = 300 exp a weapon skill for ranges 2-4 = 100 exp, 5-6 = 300 exp and 7+ = 500 exp; and to increase an Attribute by a point it cost for ranges 7-15 = 500 exp, 16-19 = 1000 exp, and for 20+ = 1500 exp.

3 attributes are 2D10 = result then modified added = final schore
Statue and luck are ranged from 1-10 (same roll then halved rounded up) BUT luck never changes in the game.
Stature is in constant flux(page 22), as your character does deeds his reputaion goes up and they become more well know so I was thinking that this would need to have a way to be added in the characters journel and tracked. A character may have more than one Stature rank as well, if they wear a mask and do deeds they will have a rank for that and then have one for the character (AKA the Lone Ranger has a high stature but his real id in unknown so it would have a low rating.)

Wounds are = to Strength Score but were a character is hit is important but that could be easily tracked with the current systems.
Initiative = 1D6 + modifier for tactics roll (1)
Speed in Combat= Coordination + weapon spd - wound modifiers +/- other modifiers
Type of shot being taking is important in Initiative, 4 types of shots Carefull taking a full turn, Steady = 2 shots in the turn, Hipshot = 3 shots in the turn, and Fanfiring which is the fastest = 6 shots in the turn
shot type = number needed to hit target, is Coordination modified by shot type (page 24-26)

Later on I would like to add expanded gear and weapons that would be allowed or not from the start menu with a check mark in the clipboard section.

and thats all I have to do LOL
SAbel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:04 AM
I'm not sure if this post was intended as an FYI or if there were questions embedded that I couldn't discern. I'm going to assume the former.

However, this brings up a very valuable point. When tackling a new game system, it's critical that the first step is to go through all the mechanics and develop a detailed checklist of everything that needs to be handled. The above list is an excellent example of the process, and I'm guessing that you've probably still overlooked a couple of items that will be incredibly annoying when you uncover them. :-)

The key thing is that a detailed checklist makes it vastly easier to develop data files in a step-wise fashion. You can also identify all the related issues and tasks that will have ramifications on other tasks. This will make the entire process go much more smoothly and avoid lots of nasty surprises that can require you to go back and re-work material you've already completed. It also provides a realistic gauge of (a) how much work needs to be done and (b) how far along you are in the overall process. :-)
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old November 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM
For Boot hill (which is a very simple system) the attributes are pretty open ended, I have two problems at this point.
1. two attributes Stature and Luck are ranked 1 -10 can I add a script into the that limits only these attributes to a maximum of 10?
<thing
id="attrSta"
name="Stature"
compset="Attribute"
isunique="yes"
description="How well widely know the character is, how much of a reputation he has, and how physically imposing he is.">
<fieldval field="trtAbbrev" value="Sta"/>
<tag group="explicit" tag="4"/>
</thing>

<thing
id="attrLuck"
name="Luck"
compset="Attribute"
isunique="yes"
description="The character's ability to escape unharmed from harrowing dangers, survive a fatal wound, and accomplish any other task that he has no reason to think is possible.">
<fieldval field="trtAbbrev" value="Luck"/>
<tag group="explicit" tag="5"/>
</thing>
2. Next and the hardest is the character attributes are added together for a total points system that then allows the player to pick a number of skills based on how high or low the attribute total is.
So the attributes are Strenght, Coordination and Observation (ranked between 2-20 to start) and then Stature and Luck (ranked 1-10 to start) these totals are added to give a total attribute score (the higher your attributes the lower amount of starting skills you have, ie lower attributes means more skills) this is set in a range
Total attributes score Number of initial skills
27-40 10
41-62 8
63-80 6

The player can then pick skills of which half must be "work skills" aka only half can be weapon skills.

I would love to have some feed back on how to handle these
SAbel is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 25th, 2010, 09:16 AM
In the Savage Worlds authoring kit walkthrough, this page covers how that game system imposed upper and lower limits on the attributes: http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/Traits_(Savage)

This page details how they set up a pool of skill points, and linked the skills to them:
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index...._Logic_(Savage)
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old November 25th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Thank you Mathias,
I hop eyou have had a good Thanks Giving Day, I will look these over and see if I can make sense of them. The 2nd will not be to horrible for me I believe, for the first I worry how to set up so that only 2 of the 5 attributes have the limits and not all of them, I do remember reading this now to apply it

Thank you again,

Sean
SAbel is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old November 28th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Okay I spoke way to soon, on what I think I can do and what would be hard AKA I still have no clue. I have gone through the boot hill (3rd ed) rules and to be honest the limit for Stature goes away after character creation so it is not a point. Luck on the other hand never changes so I still need a way to limit only it from 1 to 10 range with out putting limits on the other skills and locking that ability down after character creation, because it can never be improved.

As how to make the skills work proper I think that I might be able to figure this out but I am not sure where to look for examples (IE other data sets that I could learn from) and the wiki really does not tell me which file I should be going into to monkey with this stuff, let alone how to set up (what I think would be a if/then eval) to find out how many skill points the player would get.
I also need to have abilities stop pulling down from character creation points which I think I can figure out, I just need to look through my notes or check out the D&D files.
So back to my drawing board for this, really wished one of you guys lived close to Ohio, b/c it would be worth the drive to be able to get some hands on help with this stuff.

Sean
SAbel is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:52 PM
Hey everyone, … HELP ..
I am stuck; so here is what I am attempting to do: for skills in boot hill; have HL ad up the total for attributes, then find the amount of skill points to assign based off this total.
Take those skill points and divided them into half must be spent on “work skills/non-combat” and the other become “free to spend or Weapon skills”.
Work skills cost 1 point to purchase and the player would put in the skill start total (ranked from 7 -20, based off a modified 2D10 roll not need to be programed in only player input)
Weapon skills cost 1 point per rank and maybe purchased multiple times at same cost just adding 1 point to the weapon skill total.
I am looking in through the trait.str line 178 to 187
<!-- Each skill point that is allocated by the user costs 2 CP -->
<eval index="2" phase="Traits" priority="10000">
<before name="Calc resLeft"/>
<after name="Bound trtUser"/><![CDATA[
~if this skill is not added directly to the hero (i.e. an advance), skip it entirely
doneif (origin.ishero = 0)
~adjust the resource appropriately
hero.child[resCP].field[resSpent].value += field[trtUser].value * 2
]]></eval>
But I am not sure this is the right and only place I need to work on to make this happen, or really how to start it.
The attribute totals to find starting skills looks like this:
Attribute = skills (half must be work type)
27 - 40 = 10 skills
41 - 62 = 8 skills
63 - 80 = 6 skills

Any ideas out there?
SAbel is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:11 PM
I have gone in to the thing_traits.dat and changed the Power Points trait to become the "total Attribute Points" and set this up to add the attributes together in one place to have a referance point to work from, now to just make the skills find this total and make a chart /something to pick from for this to work.
SAbel is offline   #9 Reply With Quote