Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Army Builder Data Files > Warhammer 40,000
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
edavi830

Old April 9th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlong05 View Post
While we thank you for your willingness to limit your personal use of army builder due to a misunderstanding on how files are created, I don't think any current, past, or future data file creator/maintainer feels that lonewolfs is making money off their hard work.

I know for myself I work on the files because I play the game, enjoy the game, and use the files as a game aide myself. This in effects show the datafiles maintainer process ever started. As a game comes, someone decides to make the files as a aide for themselves and provide it for others.

Holding lonewolf or army builder responsile for not understanding this is just bad for you. As stated before, I am not bitter or upset, and while my response was pointed and short, it was not in anyway bitter or rude. As I indicated, simply a review of the forums and the sticky traded items would have given a baseline of when rules are available.

Since in general we have to answer this same question about every other month(basically as each new codex is released by GW) one can see where it has become faster to answer as I did and not as we use to do in long personalized posts or pm's. instead we posted a sticky thread and also listed the same details in the FAQ.

Also remember, that the files exist for more than just GW, and there are many other great games available. The licensing system is great for keeping all your games updated.
Thank you for this post. As I said before I am really impressed with the work that you guys (the datafile authors) do. I admit to being a bit standoffish with my posts before, and I want to make sure you know that I do appreciate the work you do for the hobby. I was just a bit put out to realize just how much LW benefits from your work.

The reality is, that (in my humble experience) people buy army builder primarily to make WHFB/WH40k army lists. We certainly do not (and in most cases cannot since the process is complex) expect to be able to create our own datafiles. The fact is that none of us would have purchased this software if the datafiles weren't going to be available, that's just the way it is and should be realized and accepted.

The hard part for me here, is that knowing the above statement to be true, it is hard to see any way in which the datafile authors are not being exploited by LW (I DO realize that this is not intentional, it seems true though, regardless). So personally it becomes difficult for me to accept that I am paying $$$ to a company who directly benefits from the free work of others.

I also understand your frustration with people continually asking about the releases (especially with current release schedule for codices. They are coming damn fast!). There are lots of idiots on the internet (I probably am one myself). It's easy to be irritated with them. That said, I now accept that your previous post was not meant to be rude or bitter, so I apologize for the attitude I showed you previously. Please accept my apology and gratitude.

Not sure what else to say. Thanks guys.
edavi830 is offline   #16