Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Parody

Old August 24th, 2017, 12:43 AM
I stopped by the booth briefly on Thursday, but everyone was messing around with Starfinder and I didn't have a lot of time so I didn't talk to anyone.

Last edited by Parody; August 24th, 2017 at 01:03 AM.
Parody is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old August 24th, 2017, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Wrong thread for this sort of question, which has been questioned and answered in other threads :-)
Apologies - I must have missed the recent answers. If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 24th, 2017, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Apologies - I must have missed the recent answers. If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
In the news post linked in the first post of this thread they said the Content Market is "hopefully making its debut after Labor Day". Everything else comes after that.

Parody is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old August 24th, 2017, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Parody - that's what I needed.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 24th, 2017, 04:51 PM
@ruhdar & Parody ....Sorry I missed u both. Maybe next year...

@Parody did see some car wars love going on at Lucas Oil old games area.

Did manage to get my "youngsters" into a 2e D&D game (they ares still rubbing their head on THACO hehehe) and abit of chainmail jousting....
and for me.... a bit of Dawn Patrol with Mike Carr (the creator) moderating.. so that was very nostalgic.

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; August 24th, 2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Corrected Mike for Parody.. some are sticklers on abbreviated names & wasn't certain
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 25th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I only went to the Content Market seminar and I know they were recording that one.

You met BJ?!? I stopped by the booth a few times to touch bases with her and kept missing her. I did talk to Anna and Rob. Hopefully Anna has her full voice back and Rob got some food and sleep.
Always a joy to meet new people! Sorry I was so hard to find for many this year. Being a Guest of Honor wrecked my schedule. I'm always happy for new friends on Facebook though. Keep in mind, If we have less than 30 friends in common please send me a FB message confirming you are a real person or I may decline for personal safety
BJ is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 26th, 2017, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I only went to the Content Market seminar and I know they were recording that one.
Well that's good to know. Perhaps we will have some partial ones at least? (@ BJ)

I sat in on the Realm Works 101 Streamlined on Friday and the Herolab on Saturday and didn't see any evidence that they were filming.. but I have known to fail my spot check... hehe:
I was scheduled to go to the content market one you mentioned, but opted to skip and spend time with Tim Kask, Mike Carr, and Luke Gygax, for me a no brainer trade.

One "interesting thing" I observed in the Friday RW seminar was at the beginning. Joe polled the audience (22 people) and asked:
1> How many were players? 1
2> How many were DMs(GMs) 21
3> How many used RW for Novel / Story Writing? 1
4> How many purchase pre-made modules for their gaming table? 2
5> How many create their own game / campaign worlds?18
6> How many use a campaign setting? 3

The most interesting one I found was #4, and IF it's a microcosm of the large community it flies in the face of RW business model for purchase content.

The big (and long endured) push for the Content market against this small sampling shows a possible contradiction. Based on that impromptu poll, DMs aren't using prepackaged modules for their campaign worlds. They are using their own, others, cannibalizing, and generic ones that they "shoe-horn" into their worlds. This would suggest the negotiated IP with publishers might be a separate issue than the sharing of info where the demand truly is. Now not suggesting that anyone's submissions don't require protecting, but I would think that is a bit more simplistic than the IP / Licensing dealing with the publishers. Now economically, there would certainly be the cash flow that LW needs from the publishers that may not be equaled by private submission.

I just found it odd that the snippet of attendees and their wants, needs, and use was contrary to what RW has been working these last few years toward.

For myself, I'm unlikely to purchase pre-made publisher items since my world (Greyhawk) has been shelved by hazbro for some time now. I would be more likely to use it to swap with other "GHers" or game mechanic piece if I used the content market at all. So the market has far less value for me than the other items that have been continually deferred.

How did you see the one you attended?

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 26th, 2017, 08:23 AM
The flip side, of course, is that GMs who want to use prepackaged content can't do so with the current version. Until there's a means and a sufficient amount of available content, they may not be interested in Realm Works at all.

It makes me wonder what the responses would have been at panels for other products. (Also whether they could draw more than 22 people out of the 60,000-80,000 who attended.)

Hope you had a good time at the con! Mine was mildly disappointing, but that's how it goes.

Last edited by Parody; August 26th, 2017 at 08:30 AM.
Parody is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 26th, 2017, 10:00 AM
I think the concern is that the present users of RW are only those who do it themselves.

The crowd, which IME is the majority of GM's, who buy everything and simply run what they buy have no use for RW until they can buy modules and AP's in RW format so why would they even go to as RW seminar?

If you want a taste of the numbers difference go to the PFS ballroom or D&D AL hall at the next GenCon. Ask around in there. Many of those guys play nothing but the organized play campaign and even the ones who play outside of it still only play pre made stuff. The number of GM's who custom make their own worlds and adventures is really quite small.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old August 26th, 2017, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I think the concern is that the present users of RW are only those who do it themselves.
True and as PArody pointed out its certainly due to the lack of a means to share that info.

Quote:
The crowd, which IME is the majority of GM's, who buy everything and simply run what they buy have no use for RW until they can buy modules and AP's in RW format so why would they even go to as RW seminar?
Well, maybe. But would also add that many utilize conventions and seminars to get a peak on upcoming events, items etc... so IMO I don't think it's a good measure for lack of attendance but lack of interest. Again, the other telling part (as Parody mentions) was only 22 chose to attend out of 60k? certainly a deflating forecast in any perspective.
Now to flip that part of the debate its not like all 60 could attend if they did chose to... ( I think the capacity was 50-75 maybe?) but fairly possible if the interest were high enough that Gencon would have located it to a larger venue... donno....

Quote:
If you want a taste of the numbers difference go to the PFS ballroom or D&D AL hall at the next GenCon. Ask around in there.
Actually I did, since Anna was working up in the ballroom, I spent several hours discussing Realmworks and Herolab with those in line to print PC sheets. And to add most had interest in Herolab and what it could do, but 1 in hundred even asked about RW and most of those were indifferent at best even when pointing out the good features it does possess (ie auto linking, etc). As Anna is a personal friend I tried to be supportive as a third party in those "sales" conversations but most that asked while waiting in line have never heard of RW or have heard or reviewed too many of the drawbacks of campaign management aspects mentioned at nauseum here (lack of viable print options, real time updating, calendars, even 32bit platform were only a few of the mentioned items). So it was hard to be neutral or positive around those other than to say " working on it and soon".

Quote:
Many of those guys play nothing but the organized play campaign and even the ones who play outside of it still only play pre made stuff. The number of GM's who custom make their own worlds and adventures is really quite small.
And while that is certainly true in a convention atmosphere, its all the more reason why they would have little need for Realmworks as a "campaign manager" but moreso as a game manager, thus not needing the majority of supporting items we here have been waiting patiently for.
just 2cp

Dark Lord Galen is offline   #30 Reply With Quote