Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Call of Cthulhu

Notices

McTaff

Old September 8th, 2013, 04:01 AM
I do not own the base rulebook for Cthulhu, however it seems there is a lot of content still missing. For example, much of the descriptions for skills don't have anything, and the provision exists for some useful text.

Also, only about half of the ammunition is included in the Gear tab, and firearms don't specify which ammunition they use.

I don't have a lot of spare time, and I know nothing about coding. But if there is a pretty simple data entry process that needs doing, I am pretty sure I could lend a hand, provided it's pretty simply (into an excel sheet or something that you can then convert out or something).

I haven't seen any movement on the CoC front (although I am new to the game) and if I can contribute to the removal of someone's sanity in the near future I would be happy to try*.

- McTaff

* I am pretty handy with a hammer, after all.
McTaff is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 8th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Could you please be more specific about what's missing? Which particular ammos are missing? Which particular skills don't have descriptions? If we've missed something that's in the book, I'd like to get it added, but I just checked, and in the book, the 1920s price list has 14 types of ammo in it, and Hero Lab has those same 14 types of ammo for a 1920s character.

Where in the book should I look for the firearm/ammo correspondence? I don't remember that information being there. Very few weapons have any description text for us to work from.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old September 11th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Could you please be more specific about what's missing? Which particular ammos are missing? Which particular skills don't have descriptions? If we've missed something that's in the book, I'd like to get it added, but I just checked, and in the book, the 1920s price list has 14 types of ammo in it, and Hero Lab has those same 14 types of ammo for a 1920s character.

Where in the book should I look for the firearm/ammo correspondence? I don't remember that information being there. Very few weapons have any description text for us to work from.
I would probably try to list the Ammunition in the weapons category rather than Gear, like in Pathfinder.

No weapons have a field in Hero Lab to designate what ammo they use, and rightly so if the book doesn't say anything. However, this would be handy. (Even better, if the Weapon had a lookup function to ascertain how much ammo is available in the Investigator inventory, this might open up a few avenues to have the amount of ammo self-updating as part of the weapon info.)

I have done a very quick pass to include the weapons actual ammo, and what seems to be an intended ammo, and which ammo are not used, and which guns do not have ammo. I chucked it in an excel sheet >Excel file here<

Note: In reality, you can't use some cartridges of similar caliber in something they seem like they would fit; .22 LR and .22 short are very different sizes for example, and loading a .38 Super into a .38 ACP chambered weapon (despite actually being the same size) could make life very interesting for the user.

Getting back to the file: Each weapon has a "Real Life/Historical" listing, and then a second column which I used to point out what I think the rules writers probably intended. I gave a little leeway here, I'm not trying to be exact, but as you can see there are still a lot of weapons with ammo missing in the game file. There are also some ammunition types in the Ammo list highlighted in red; these are 'unused'.

If everything is correct to the books (I don't own the book yet), I believe it may fall to us to supply a third-party file to bring everything into line. I am willing to help here, but as before I am not a coder. The best I can do is produce pretty excel files in whatever format you give to me.
(At the same time I can probably write quick descriptions for the weapons if required, nothing fancy.)

Last edited by McTaff; September 11th, 2013 at 01:02 AM. Reason: Added link to file
McTaff is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 11th, 2013, 07:37 AM
It is not our place to decide what new material should be added to a game. If we missed something from the book, please tell us, so that we can fix it.

However, if you wanted to come up with a .user file that fixes the ammo available in CoC, feel free to post it here for your fellow users to make use of.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 11th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Or, send your new material to the authors of the game, and see if they want to include it in their rules.
Mathias is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
McTaff

Old September 12th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
Or, send your new material to the authors of the game, and see if they want to include it in their rules.
Now that's an interesting idea...

Thanks for your insight. I'll contact them and see what falls out of the sky.
McTaff is offline   #6 Reply With Quote