Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Farling

Old May 11th, 2014, 01:56 AM
I can see the printing option being very difficult when it comes to handling purchased content, since it probably won't want to print the data which has been purchased (due to copyright reasons).
Farling is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Dr_Automaton

Old May 11th, 2014, 04:56 AM
It seems to me that it shouldn't be any different from a purchased .pdf, where the onus is on the end user to respect the license restrictions specified by the publisher.
Dr_Automaton is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old May 11th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I can see the printing option being very difficult when it comes to handling purchased content, since it probably won't want to print the data which has been purchased (due to copyright reasons).
I don't understand the big deal here. You are already going to be able to share it through the player and web interface (once those become available), at least with your group. If not, then purchasing a commercial module or world would be useless since you couldn't share it with your players. I can understand limits on printing/sharing of commercial content as long as it's reasonable, say 30 unique accounts per year or something... that should cover roughly 5 average gaming groups of up to 6 players in a year.

Plus, a part of your purchase price will be a fee sent back to the content owners as part of the license agreement. So the content owners are getting paid for your purchase.
Viking2054 is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old May 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM
What kind of printing are we talking about though?

Simple printing of reports and document dumps? Or are we talking about being able to format a professional looking module with main text, side bar text, graphics with text flowing around it... something like Publisher, or one of the professionally used desktop publishing programs for layout?

The first should be easy, but if you want to layout a professional looking module then that seems a bit harder... to me.
Viking2054 is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post

why not follow the PAIZO/pdf model with that? Which is that printing is allowed, but only for personal use (in game use would qualify as that).
mirtos is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:12 AM
or maybe it could be controlled via the content owner? So that you could have different licenses? one for printing and one without?
mirtos is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 15th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Hi there!

Was there already an official Statement how exactly the printing & export options will look like?

Though LW stated that the entered data is "each one's own content" which was an important buying decision point, I realized shortly after, that it is possible to get my data "in" but never "out" again. It is great that it is on the todo list (according to the FAQ).

It is important that we can print / export multiple items at once. The current way the UI works worries me a little which is why I wanted to point that out again.
Acenoid is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
jackbrownii

Old May 18th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Another +1 for printing. More for my use as a GM than player handouts. I'm often going to be running games in a game room at a FLGS with restaurant. There may not be room to set up the laptop, let alone a second monitor.
jackbrownii is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old May 18th, 2014, 03:03 PM
Exactly. Often we play outside , in the garden etc. So the techy-option is not always available and all the time entering the data was well almost wasted because i just look at it when i enter it initially. And as stated numerous times, printing is not quite enough. Exporting it to other formats would be great as well.
Acenoid is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
shamavir

Old May 21st, 2014, 05:32 PM
+1 from me. I won't use it every session, but it enables me to, for example, store some electronic versions of in-game documents that I will want to hand out to the party in hardcopy. My workaround is to use MWSnap to grab it offscreen as a jpeg, but resolution can suffer. Thanks folks.
shamavir is offline   #60 Reply With Quote