Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TCArknight

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:55 AM
Here is my situation.

I have a Skill component being displayed on a row of a fixed_table with an action button on the same row. The skill has forwarded a HasSkill.xxxx tag to the hero and also contains a SkillGen.xxxx identity tag. The action button opens a form that contains a chooser_table portal.

How do I build a candidate tag for the chooser_table to selec those SkillAoE components which match the SkillGen.xxxx tag from the skill on the row whose button I clicked? Does that make sense?

I don't think I understand the various options on the chooser_table quite well enough yet....

Thanks!
TC
TCArknight is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Why use a chooser_table in a form?

Why not just use a menu_things to make the selection, without forcing the user to open up a form before they can change it?
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 28th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Well, for one thing I did not know menu_things existed.

From what I see in the wiki, it may be what I'm looking for.

As an end result, I want to delete a Hide.Me tag on the chosen item so that it will display on the skill list as a new entry. (It's already bootstrapped to the hero, only hidden from view. If this works though, I should be able to choose it if it's not bootstrapped and have it added, correct?)

Is there an example available anywhere of this usage?
TCArknight is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Why don't you back up to the beginning of this problem - what game rule(s) is all this trying to accomplish?
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 28th, 2013, 09:07 AM
No problem.

Skills in the game system are a limited set which are all available all the time. They rank from 0 to 6 points. Once a user has taken 3 points in in the skill, then they have the option of adding a specialty to the skill. The specialty costs 1 point, but provides an effective 2 points for those related tasks.

I have 3 components, Base Skill, Skill and SkillAoE each with their own identity tags. In addition, Skill components have a SkillGen.xxxx identity and and associated specialties will use that as well. (based this on the chooser for the Cortex skills tab). However, the only thing skills related that will need choosing is the specialty/domain.

I add everything on a template for a fixed_table for display. When the value incrementer has set the user value of skill points in the skill to at less three, then I make a selection method available to the left of the incrementer. (A portal with an id of skSpec). The layout of one entry winds up like:

Skill name 1 <skSpec> <value incrementer> <info>
Skill name 2 <skSpec> <value incrementer> <info>
Skill name 3 <skSpec> <value incrementer> <info>

If a specialty is chosen, it would display:

Skill name 1 <skSpec> <value incrementer> <info>
Specialty name
Skill name 2 <skSpec> <value incrementer> <info>
Skill name 3. <skSpec> <value incrementer> <info>

At the moment, all SkillAoE components are bootstrapped to the hero along with a Hide.Me tag to keep them from displaying on the Skill portal. I need the chooser (in this case) to display the specialties associated with the individual skill to choose which one of them to remove the Hide tag from with a perform delete[Hide.Me]
TCArknight is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 09:12 AM
How many specialties are allowed per skill?

I'd recommend looking at Shadowrun - it sounds like specialties in your game are more like those specialties than like Cortex's specialties (Cortex's specialties are more like new skills that you can choose once you reach a certain point in the regular game, but Shadowrun's specialties are more of a modification of the original skill).

Even if you haven't purchased Shadowrun, you can download it and run it in demo mode, so that you can see how the specialties work.
Mathias is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 28th, 2013, 10:12 AM
A skill can have any number of specialties as long as the costs are paid.

It does seem a bit like Shadowrun in that respect. Are the SR templates and everything available? My difficulty has been working with the sample system in it's entirety.
TCArknight is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 10:35 AM
If it can have any number of specialties, that changes the way this has to be handled. You can't use a menu_things on the item itself, because that only allows one selection per menu, and if you're using a form, a chooser isn't appropriate, because that also allows only one selection. You'd need a full table on the form.

On the character sheet, what does the skills section look like with a specialty or two on a skill? I'd like to know how they organize their material. Can you give me a rough example of that?
Mathias is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
TCArknight

Old March 28th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Ah, ok

Unfortunately, the official character sheet doesn't even have blank spaces for any specialties. ( http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/our-games/...who-downloads/ )
Although the official sheet for their other game based on the same system looks like it has room along with a couple more skills: http://www.cubicle7.co.uk/wp-content...cter-sheet.pdf

The typical player way of writing the final result, as seen on several entries here: http://dwaitas.proboards.com/index.c...ay&thread=1287, is Skill Name Rank (specialty... Rank+2)

90% of the sheets I've seen have just 1 specialty per skill, but the rules do quote that any number are allowed.

I could do the Skills tab like a normal dynamic table with the add a specialty selection at the bottom, but that seems inelegant....

Last edited by TCArknight; March 28th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
TCArknight is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:19 PM
The Cortex specialties are listed separately from the skills because the normal way of writing skills on a character sheet in Cortex does separate them like that.

In your case, I think something more like Shadowrun's system is appropriate, but with a table, so that you can add an unlimited number of specialties, rather than the drop-down menus that Shadowrun uses to let you pick a specialty.
Mathias is offline   #10 Reply With Quote