Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

PurpleWizard

Old November 11th, 2010, 02:08 AM
Hi!

I just downloaded the demo (version 3.6e) and discovered I was able to add unlimited 1st-level spells to my spellbook (pathfinder game) when the core rulebook (page 79) indicates I start with three + a number equal to my INT modifier.

Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks!
PurpleWizard is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bodrin

Old November 11th, 2010, 03:51 AM
You can add as many spells as you like to the spellbook, the limits imposed are for memorising only.

So feel free to add all the spells if you want, as long as you only select the correct amount for your level then you won't get any validation errors!
bodrin is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
PurpleWizard

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I don't think I was clear enough, so let me try again.

From the PF Core Rules, page 79:

Quote:
A wizard begins play with a spellbook containing all 0-level wizard spells (except those from his prohibited schools, if any; see arcane schools) plus three 1st-level spells of his choice. The wizard also selects a number of additional 1st-level spells equal to his intelligence modifier to add to his spellbook.
To me, that has nothing to do with preparing (memorizing), only what can be in the spellbook in the beginning. With 16 INT, my 1st-level wizard gets all of the 0-level spells and 6 level-1 spells (base 3 + 3 INT bonus). Shouldn't that limit be reflected in HL?

(The number of spells that can be prepared/memorized per day is at the first level is 3 level-0 spells and (based upon his intelligence), 2 level-1 spells (see Core Rulebook, pages 17 and 80.) HL handles this correctly.)
PurpleWizard is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Golkiwu

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWizard View Post
I don't think I was clear enough, so let me try again.

From the PF Core Rules, page 79:

To me, that has nothing to do with preparing (memorizing), only what can be in the spellbook in the beginning. With 16 INT, my 1st-level wizard gets all of the 0-level spells and 6 level-1 spells (base 3 + 3 INT bonus). Shouldn't that limit be reflected in HL?

(The number of spells that can be prepared/memorized per day is at the first level is 3 level-0 spells and (based upon his intelligence), 2 level-1 spells (see Core Rulebook, pages 17 and 80.) HL handles this correctly.)
It more than likely is allowed to give more spells so that it will reflect spells you may learn/inscribe to your spellbook from Scrolls or other Spellcaster
Spellbooks. If it limmited you to only that allowed at firs level (or by level) you would not be able to add spells from other sources (Scribing to Spellbook.
Golkiwu is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
PurpleWizard

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:50 AM
That makes sense. Guess the tool is more geared towards veteran players than newcomers.

Thanks for the answer, Golkiwu.
PurpleWizard is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old November 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM
It should say what IS allowed though at the beginning of each level, as a level thing only. What you add after gaining a level is an added bonus and can be freely adjustable with in Hero Labs.

Anotherwords there should be a rule stating that you get X amount of spells to begin with at each level and it SHOULD say it in the spell book area so that the person running a wizard does not make a mistake regardless of experience level of the player itself.
Nikmal is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Thazar

Old November 11th, 2010, 06:57 AM
It would also be nice if they had a way to track separate spell books. But as it stands now the "Spell Book" for the game is just a holding place for all the spells you know and have the ability to memorize. I use the Journal to track specific spell book notes and details.
Thazar is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
PurpleWizard

Old November 11th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
It should say what IS allowed though at the beginning of each level, as a level thing only. What you add after gaining a level is an added bonus and can be freely adjustable with in Hero Labs.

Anotherwords there should be a rule stating that you get X amount of spells to begin with at each level and it SHOULD say it in the spell book area so that the person running a wizard does not make a mistake regardless of experience level of the player itself.
I agree.

It would be nice if HL included a "new character wizard" for fast-and-easy level-1 character creation.

I like HL, and plan to purchase it, but it can be a little overwhelming in the beginning to a new player. Adding stuff like a "new character wizard" would be a huge benefit, in my opinion.
PurpleWizard is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Shayd3000

Old November 11th, 2010, 08:29 AM
Let's not forget though, that this is a utility program - users of the software are expected to already own the rules. It's once that the program enforces some, but it also has to handle continuing to use the character.

However all that said, to your point, maybe a warning message at character creation for first level characters that the spell book limit has been exceeded. For 2nd on up, the warning turns off.

Member: Amorphous Blob Games
Shayd3000 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
dragonladytoo

Old November 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Problem with that is that you are assuming that 1st level characters will not come across additional spells (via spell books or scrolls) until they are 2nd level.

It is common for characters to purchase or capture scrolls and spell books throughout their illustrious careers.

Spell books represent what you have, not what you start with, just as gold and equipment is not limited to what you start with, but rather what you have acquired.
dragonladytoo is offline   #10 Reply With Quote