Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Savage Worlds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

zarlor

Old August 2nd, 2017, 04:59 AM
Hmm... I'd guess you would need to have a Tag like they do for Equipment (Group: Hide, Tag: Edge, i guess?) Since we use that method (well, with Tag: Equipment), to do things like hide, say, a thrown version of a spear from being bought but so it will still show up on your weapons list because it was bootstrapped to the melee version of that weapon (and usually vice-versa). You might add that as a request here: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=13330. I've not had a need to do that yet but it might be useful not only for what you're working on for it sounds like it might be helpful for Savage Rifts as well so that may be useful to add it if it can be done.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:23 AM
Ok, I think that I have things working via a pre-req script. I will deal with any live usage considerations later; for now, I think that I should be able to get the character building completed without much more fuss.

I have pushed all of the custom edges into a STREETS OF BEDLAM division. I doubt if this is common, but the author didn't really specify the types of the edges and I like being able to find all of the setting specific edges in one place anyhow. This helps mitigate some of my unhappiness with not being able to hide list items.

As it turns out, pre-req scripts override the ONLY ONCE setting for edges - which I regard as a bug. If the edge is set to UNIQUE, it works as expected. I am not sure what the logic here is, but I am guessing that there is a reason for this. For my intent, there is no significant difference between ONLY ONCE and UNIQUE.

Sample pre-req code should it matter:
validif (hero.tagis[Group.grpBEDbacr] + hero.tagis[Group.grpBEDbasn] <> 0)
Topdecker is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 2nd, 2017, 09:34 AM
.... And then I ran into the archetype that allows the character taking it to start with a d6 in vigor.

So far, I am not finding a good way to add it, much less a way that will automatically remove it when the archetype is abandoned.

I did get several archetypes added and pretty much working (one has an option to worsen a hindrance and worsening a bootstrapped hindrance gets you zilch.)

I will see if you fellows have any suggestions, but I am close to taking what I have learned and moving on to something a bit more suited for a greenhorn

Topdecker is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
zarlor

Old August 2nd, 2017, 11:08 AM
Yeah, you are getting a bit into the weeds, but the common code thread definitely has the answer for you adding to an trait die. Although, the common method is to use that for a skill rather than an attribute and no attribute will ever be below d4. In essence the effect of the archetype is to add +1 die type to Vigor UNLESS Vigor is already d6 or higher, correct? In that instance you would just have to enclose your +1 die type in an if statement, is all. You just need to make sure you get the timing right. It will probably need to be early, so I'm guessing something like Pre-Traints 3000? I'd have to play to figure that one out.

Removing that bonus... first off to characters change archetypes all the time in that game or something? If not, then no problem, if they do then I would think that if you changed the archetype that code would go away and that code would only apply itself while that archetype were active. If it's pulled it should pull the extra die with it... maybe. I mean once you advance a boosted Vigor it would no longer be a d4 at the base... Hmm... that almost makes it more like a Super Attribute in effect, which would be something activateable. I couldn't really tell you off the top of my head, though, i think I'd have to play around to really figure that out.

I would only add one more comment, though, which is that it's sometimes fine to just not automate everything through HL. Sometimes you just make a note in your descriptions to tell the player to do the thing they need to do.

Lenny Zimmermann
Metairie, LA, USA

Data files authored (please let me know if you see any issues with any of these if you have/use them):
Official (In the downloader)
50 Fathoms, Deadlands: Hell On Earth, Deadlands: Noir, East Texas University, Necessary Evil (requires Super Powers Companion), Pirates of the Spanish Main, Space 1889 (original file by Erich), Tour of Darkness, Weird War II, Weird Wars: Rome
Coming Eventually
Evernight (LWD has completed their review but I have some fixes to make first... although Pinnacle mentioned this might get an overhaul to SWADE so I may just wait for that first. If you just HAVE to have this now, though, just PM me)
zarlor is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 2nd, 2017, 03:03 PM
Next update, perhaps we need to add a way to keep an Edge off of the selection list.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarlor View Post
Yeah, you are getting a bit into the weeds, but the common code thread definitely has the answer for you adding to an trait die.
Removing that bonus... first off to characters change archetypes all the time in that game or something?
I will look up in the common code thread then.

I think that, as part of exploring archetypes, a hero lab owner might select multiple archetypes just to see what they offer. Shopping for a character might create some unexpected messes.

Thanks for pointing me towards the traits boost

Topdecker is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapedCrusader View Post
Next update, perhaps we need to add a way to keep an Edge off of the selection list.
I would imagine that a lot of the things that you do with edges should be mirrored in hindrances.
Topdecker is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
CapedCrusader
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 2nd, 2017, 06:48 PM
Good call, I was thinking that as well.

_
Currently In Development: Savage Pathfinder, SWADE Fantasy Companion
Future Development: SWADE Super Powers Companion, SWADE Sci-Fi Companion
_
Currently Running: Savage Unity Inc. (homebrew multiverse theme)
Setting Files Supported: Deadlands: Reloaded, Flash Gordon, Gaslight, Hellfrost, Interface Zero 2.0, Seven Worlds, Slipstream, Solomon Kane
Future Setting Files: Savage Judge Dredd
CapedCrusader is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:29 PM
So under BOOTSTRAPS, I find...

That I can select the Vigor attribute directly. I can then go into fields and ASSIGN a value.

trtBonus doesn't seem to have an impact. Is there a different name for the field that holds the value of vigor (or other attributes for that matter)?

This looks right - I just don't know that trtBonus is the right field.

Thanks!

Topdecker is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Topdecker

Old August 2nd, 2017, 07:46 PM
So the Eval Rule gets it done...

Coincidentally, it also removes the extra point of vigor when changing archetypes and will not allow me to spin it back to a d4, so it is a real win.

Still curious if it can be directly assigned by assigning a value in the bootstrap, though obviously this is less of a concern now

Topdecker is offline   #30 Reply With Quote