Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

pyremius

Old December 12th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Anything over 2 should probably be a generic "multiply-revealed" color so it doesn't become too hard to see (especially on laptop or tablet screens). Not sure if a popup listing the reveal status would be beneficial enough to justify the effort.
pyremius is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 12th, 2014, 10:29 PM
I was pondering this over dinner with my better half... and she to was intrigued by the idea, but brought back out a valid point I had forgotten.....

"what if the player has more than one character?"

In our campaign, I run one world (realm) but the world is vast and wide and there are 3 groups of PCs that explore it (based on who is available for table time is what determines which PC group runs that weekend).

So it would be very possible from a player perspective like hers that if the colors were defined by player, she could get three differing reveals mish-mashed together from the collection of what her 3 different PCs know all marked with the same color assigned to her.

This is why I brought this up to Rob early on about reveal levels and he confirmed it was indeed the plan to go down to the character level, not just the Player Level.

see here>
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...469#post198469

So if that holds true (and I hope that it does) not quite sure how the "filter" will respond unless there are ALOT more color variables....

As Rob is often fond of saying ... it is easy to imagine something .. quite a bit different to bring those imaginings to reality at times, especially not knowing the intricacies of how the code would respond.

It is also why having a pulldown as suggested earlier in this thread may be the better approach. Then it could be filtered by the PC selected.

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; December 12th, 2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: fix link
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Zogg

Old December 13th, 2014, 04:53 AM
The Dark Lord has hit the nail on the head. I currently have five active players in email games. Once I find a group for live games (recently having moved), the number of players will jump to nine or ten. If some of those players want to play another character in an email game, the number of characters could jump again, not to mention if some of my current players decide to run a second character. At this rate, it won't take very long for the colour option to become unfeasible. That's why I went with my original suggestion of one colour to indicate it is revealed to one or more (but not all). Hovering your cursor over the bullet will show a pop-up indicating to which characters the info has been revealed. Clicking on the bullet allows you to edit that.
Zogg is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old December 15th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
I was pondering this over dinner with my better half... and she to was intrigued by the idea, but brought back out a valid point I had forgotten.....

"what if the player has more than one character?"

In our campaign, I run one world (realm) but the world is vast and wide and there are 3 groups of PCs that explore it (based on who is available for table time is what determines which PC group runs that weekend).

So it would be very possible from a player perspective like hers that if the colors were defined by player, she could get three differing reveals mish-mashed together from the collection of what her 3 different PCs know all marked with the same color assigned to her.

This is why I brought this up to Rob early on about reveal levels and he confirmed it was indeed the plan to go down to the character level, not just the Player Level.

see here>
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...469#post198469

So if that holds true (and I hope that it does) not quite sure how the "filter" will respond unless there are ALOT more color variables....

As Rob is often fond of saying ... it is easy to imagine something .. quite a bit different to bring those imaginings to reality at times, especially not knowing the intricacies of how the code would respond.

It is also why having a pulldown as suggested earlier in this thread may be the better approach. Then it could be filtered by the PC selected.
I would solve this whole player vs character issue by simply making it by character. You cannot control how many players, or how may characters each player plays, but we have one true static rule, you must have a character to play, thus we begin at the foundation for the game system it self, the character.

Also, players are to play the character based on what they the character knows, not others, so to support that idealism, we must reveal by character so the player knows what the character knows. After that, tweak player version to allow more than one character for a player in a window or tab. Most games I have been in, have one player, one PC character, though I am sure its not uncommon to have it otherwise, one to one is the norm I am aware of.

As far as multi character reveal to color, I would simply say once a snippet has past more than on character reveal, it goes "black" or some other reserved color, maybe darker grey. Then if you hover over it, a pop up window appears and it shows color and character the snippet has been revealed too. Make it a right click on the reveal icon for a snippet bring this as a pop up menu and allow the choosing of character for the reveals, with the "reveal to all" button that turns the snippet the standard green.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old December 15th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
I would solve this whole player vs character issue by simply making it by character.
That's the plan (as noted above by Rob link)

Quote:
You cannot control how many players, or how may characters each player plays, but we have one true static rule, you must have a character to play, thus we begin at the foundation for the game system it self, the character.
Here, here!! As you imply, this is "root" logic to how the game (regardless of version or genre) is structured.

Quote:
Also, players are to play the character based on what they the character knows, not others, so to support that idealism, we must reveal by character so the player knows what the character knows.
Yep.
And this was the concern leveraged by my wife. "If I use this RW, will I STILL have to sift through what my paladin vs, my barbarian, vs my bard knows because it only "Filters" down to the player level?"
Simplified answer.... no, it will be at the character level, as per Rob.

Quote:
After that, tweak player version to allow more than one character for a player in a window or tab. Most games I have been in, have one player, one PC character, though I am sure its not uncommon to have it otherwise, one to one is the norm I am aware of.
I agree, though would add, when I played bulletin board versions (now Play-by-Email) this was less so since there was long turnarounds between actions. Some as I have seen here, are playing "post" style gaming, and may not have that 1 to 1.

Quote:
As far as multi character reveal to color, I would simply say once a snippet has past more than on character reveal, it goes "black" or some other reserved color, maybe darker grey. Then if you hover over it, a pop up window appears and it shows color and character the snippet has been revealed too. Make it a right click on the reveal icon for a snippet bring this as a pop up menu and allow the choosing of character for the reveals, with the "reveal to all" button that turns the snippet the standard green.
+1
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
McGray

Old December 17th, 2014, 09:41 AM
The question then still ist, how do you transition from Character to Player level?

If I have one player who has three characters, wether in the same game or not doesnt matter atm, how do you link his characters from RWGME through to RWPE to support that individual reveal?

In other words: you would need to be able to asign one or several different characters in the settings to one player and then during editing your realm and revealing stuff select the correct character for the reveal action. This then needs to be synchronized like anything lese to RWPE to ensure consistency. I think of that as some not so small hurdle to take, but maybe its an easy one from a programmers perspective.

Last edited by McGray; December 17th, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
McGray is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Chemlak

Old December 17th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Picking up from disparate sources, what will happen is that the GM will assign "ownership" of characters to players, so that the players can create their own journals/notes/whatever for those characters. The player will (pure guesswork, here) select "Playing As..." (defaulting to the last character selected), and be able to dynamically switch between their assigned characters so that the realm only shows that character's revealed info.

The logic is already in place for this, I believe, since it was always intended as a feature, it's just (heh, just) UI and implementation that need to be ironed out.
Chemlak is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
weogarth

Old December 26th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I just wanted to throw this tidbit out there....

I'm about to start another campaign using the same game world which will make at least 10 different characters flitting about my creations. I don't know how many characters Rob and his peeps were considering for this feature but I hope situations like this are accounted for.
weogarth is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old January 2nd, 2015, 10:11 AM
I would hope the answer to that is something along the lines of, "limited only by memory," which would easily be hundreds, or thousands these days.

I find I am less tolerant of things with arbitrarily hard-capped limits these days. 8)
lifer4700 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old January 2nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
I'm certainly not a database person, but the limit may be much less than we think it should be due to the number of links and interlinks possible. And with each edit those links can change. LWD does a nice job of making the data accessible and easy to understand. But I would imagine there's a lot of sorcery happening behind the scenes....

I'm hoping the limits are great enough to allow for a persistent campaign setting with multiple generations of characters. A world that the players can shape and which different groups of players can see.

I'm hoping the limits are great enough to allow for dungeons like Rappun Athuk which can have a tendency towards party attrition and character replacement. I'd like to see a party rebuild it's ranks and move forward.

I'm hoping the limits are great enough to allow for multiple clones in Paranoia.

If the limits are finite, I'm hoping we can remove characters from the reveal list to open new slots if necessary. I don't know why I'd want to keep the history of dead characters but it may be useful.

I'm hoping we can click which characters are in play and only see the reveals for that particular group of characters.

And I'm idly wondering how I want to handle amnesia or mind wipes or memory manipulation.
AEIOU is offline   #20 Reply With Quote