Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

dagda21

Old April 11th, 2017, 12:17 PM
Not sure if this has been looked at yet or not, but I am trying to sort out the pluses my thief gets using his thieves tools. He has a criminal background and has taken the Burglar feat. According to the description he should get double his proficiency bonus when using them, but the system only shows +2. Also if he took expertise in thieves tools would that double the number again, or can it double only once?

Thank you for your help.
dagda21 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 12th, 2017, 08:32 AM
You can only gain Expertise once per skill or tool.

Rogue grants Proficiency with Thieves' Tools (+2). Criminal grants Proficiency with Thieves' Tools yet again. because they do not stack the general rule is to grant the character a alternate set of Tools in place of the 2nd copy.

If the player is allocating 1 of his Expertise's to Thieves' Tool, then taking the Burglar feat its a waste. Double proficiency is also called Expertise and thus you get 1 or the other, they don't stack.

If your Hero Lab is up to date, and you have been granted the same proficiency by multiple abilities or feats, then you should be given the option to replace the extras on the Skills tab.

Now if you gain Expertise through the Rogue ability it works and you should be at +4. Unfortunately, due to the changes to how tools are implemented a lot of the abilities and feats that were implemented as part of the 5e Community pack were broken. Many have been fixed but it appears that the Burglar feat was not one of these.

You should post this bug to the 5E GIT site so we can fix it.

https://github.com/Sklore/HL_DD_5e_Colab/issues

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dagda21

Old April 12th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the help Mergon...I will forward the bug to the 5E GIT site.
dagda21 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old April 12th, 2017, 09:10 AM
Let me know when its there. I've fixed the issues, it was present in all the tool feats in that UA pack. LW changed the way they were applying Expertise to Tools.

I'll upload the fixed feats when you have posted the bug there.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #4 Reply With Quote