Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Talley Darkstar

Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:45 PM
Hopefully, now that this is not a Star Wars game, LW can get a license for the ruleset.
Talley Darkstar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old December 25th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Doesn't matter if they have the license or not. They don't have the time.
EightBitz is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 26th, 2017, 10:41 PM
The team working on data files is separate from the team working on the actual product code itself, so the above assertion is incorrect. If supporting Genesys required a lot of developer time, you'd be spot on. However, supporting a new game system like Genesys will be little different from bringing an existing game system like Pathfinder or D&D5e to HLO (aside from the extra time to develop the mechanics instead of just the new UI). So it's definitely a valid request.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old December 26th, 2017, 11:21 PM
If I recall correctly, you guys have a license for BASIC RPG, and you guys were planning to release it as a free add-on for anyone who has already purchased Call of Cthulhu. I remember asking you, face to face at a GenCon meetup, why it hasn't been implemented yet, and your answer was that it was basically due to not having enough time.

If my recall is faulty, is there another reason there's no data set for BASIC yet?

EDIT:
Citation: http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....3&postcount=12

That's from 2012, five years ago.

Last edited by EightBitz; December 26th, 2017 at 11:26 PM.
EightBitz is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 27th, 2017, 12:21 AM
Yep, that was the plan back then. And, as with anything in business, plans change as the market and consumer demands change. Since then, the data file team (a completely separate team) has been focused on a long list of projects. There have been new game systems we've introduced over the past five years, as well as major new features within HL that entailed substantial data file investment. Those new elements were prioritized higher than support for BRP due to there being a vastly higher perceived demand for those other elements compared to BRP.

A major new RPG like Genesys is exactly as I characterized it: "a perfectly valid request". Your post dismissed the game out of hand, apparently based on our choosing to focus on other options over a niche add-on that we wanted to add but that lacked significant user demand. And that's where I pointed out the difference.

Exactly how Genesys would get prioritized depends substantively on the perceived demand for it. At this juncture, users expressing their desire for the game system is absolutely the appropriate next step. That data can then be used by both us and Fantasy Flight to make an informed assessment.

User REQUESTS are ALWAYS appropriate. They give us valuable insight that helps us prioritize the allocation of our limited resources. That's the bottom line here.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by rob; December 27th, 2017 at 12:27 AM.
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old December 27th, 2017, 01:43 AM
I never said or implied that the request was inappropriate or should be dismissed. I merely stated what you and other LWD staff have stated repeatedly. That you have a small team and don't have enough time for everything.

You never released an update for BRP that your plans have changed, so how are we supposed to know?

You have also still not followed up on this.
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....8&postcount=47
EightBitz is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 27th, 2017, 05:37 AM
Please re-read your initial post. You stated "don't have the time" in absolute terms, without any qualification whatsoever. You just revised that to "not enough time for everything" immediately above. Those are vastly different statements. I replied based on the language you chose in order to clarify that it should be interpreted as you just re-phrased it.

Given the comparative lack of interest in BRP, we didn't bother to make any sort of announcement. If someone cares deeply about seeing something added to our offerings, they can submit a support ticket to get an answer about it. Users can also post general requests here in the forums, just as the OP did, where we track what users are interested in. The latter is what I encouraged above.

There have been some major changes on this end behind the scenes. As was just announced, BJ is taking a vastly greater role in many things, including communications. There's not a lot of value in looking backwards at this point, but you'll be seeing more information about how things will work henceforth from BJ in the relatively near future.

I'm going to get back to work writing code. I won't be responding further on this, as I've made things as clear as I possibly can and need to focus on getting products out the door. If there is something you absolutely want an answer on, please submit a support ticket.

Thanks!
rob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old December 27th, 2017, 07:30 AM
So there's your answer, Talley, in Rob's own words. Even when they announce, on multiple occasions, that they have a license for a system and are going to release a dataset, that doesn't mean squat.

If it suits their whim, they'll drop it, sweep it under the rug without a word, then gaslight any critics.
EightBitz is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 27th, 2017, 08:45 AM
I’m headed into a meeting, I’m locking this thread until I can reply. I’ll come back to it this afternoon.
BJ is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 27th, 2017, 02:54 PM
This is a perfect example of the type of communication you won’t be seeing in the future. I won’t hold myself responsible for company communication in the past, what I was told to post or allowed/not allowed to say, or for the prior actions of LWD employees. I can’t go back and affect decisions made before I was here, but I will continue to do my best to move forward with honest and open communication in a manner more in accordance with how I feel a business should be run and to fight to ensure as many of the company promises are fulfilled as I can. It’s going to take time. I have hired a communications director to carry my messages to places such as these forums and the multitude of social media places available to us because I cannot be here to monitor posts every day and still manage to accomplish our future business goals. I will be introducing him once he's had a bit more training. In the meantime, I would greatly appreciate everyone’s patience while I am adding his training to my already overloaded schedule.

Rob and EightBitz: I will not be removing this post as I personally believe it serves a purpose as an example, but I have put you BOTH on probation. You will no longer be able to post without authorization from an admin such as myself, your posts will go to a moderated area until approved for the public.

EighBitz: Rob won’t be responding to the post you linked, and I do understand you are frustrated but I can’t continue to allow you to be unmonitored when I can’t be here to moderate the forums full time and my new community person is not yet up to speed. I would appreciate it if you could put your frustration aside for a little bit and give the new LWD a chance. If you can’t do that, I completely understand, but please refrain from spreading your frustration in our forums and inciting other individuals. If you can do that for a time, I will lift the probation and hope to see you around the boards in a more positive way. If you’d like to discuss this further, you are welcome to PM or email me.

Edited for Clarity because I mistyped. Apologies, it's late here and its been a long day!- Talley Darkstar and EightBitz: BASIC RPG was not on my radar, it is now on my list. However, I would not hold out hope for its inclusion in the near future as it seems to be a narrow fan base making the requests and it would take several weeks of work from our data file team, so it will have to come after other major commitments we’ve made that we are working on fulfilling and other systems with a sound ROI. Genesys, I will look into further but again, it will have to be down the road some ways after we clear up our current commitments and see how much interest there is as new systems are quite a lot of work. I know that may not be the best of news and I very much wish I could wave a wand and give everyone here all the bells, whistles, and systems they desire, unfortunately, that simply isn’t possible. What I can promise is a future of honest and more frequent communications and that I will continue to do the best I can to see all that all of our products reach their full potential. Don’t stop making requests! We very much want to know what our consumers want, I just may not always be in a position to give it.

I hope everyone has a wonderful remainder of the Holiday season!

Last edited by BJ; December 27th, 2017 at 04:36 PM.
BJ is offline   #10 Reply With Quote