Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

nogoodscallywag

Old March 10th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Hello,

I was wondering if the program made adjustments to spells for feats. For example, if I chose an extend feat or used a rod which does this, will the program auto adjust the numbers in the spell description?
nogoodscallywag is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old March 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Nope.

Let me expand on that, as it was a bit brusque. Sorry if I offended.

For something like the extend spell metamagic power, it would have to deal with a field and mess about with the (possibly) user entered text in it. For instance, if a spell has a range of "Close (25+5 ft./2 levels)" entered into the field, I could do a search from the metamagic power for the string of text in that field, and replace it with another string "Close (50 + 5 ft./level)". Problem is, any deviation from the expected text would cause a problem, so I would have to take every possible combo of typos and capitalizations into account and check for them individually. Then what if the spell also had the Reach MM or some other range modifying MM on it? That's further complexity that'd give me headaches. It might be able to be done, but it'd be a bit of work for little reward, so we have instead had each MM append their summary to the end of the spell description, and add to the name, so there is no doubt that a spell has been modified and the user should look for how.

For the MM rod, those are used on the fly. I suppose I could give them a selector to choose among memorized spells, but unless you wanted to "set it and forget it" to always the same spells, every time you used it you'd have to change your selection. That seems a bit incovienant to me, so we just add its charges to the In-Play tab and trust the user to apply the effects to their spell when they cast it.

So I hope this helps you understand the why of my answer. Again, sorry if I seemed impolitic.

Last edited by Aaron; March 13th, 2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added a clarification.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote