Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

meek75

Old February 1st, 2016, 05:41 AM
So, I have been prepping a Song of Ice and Fire game. One of the rule book sections I seem to reference a lot is the details of weapon qualities. So, I decided to create article in RW. I created a "Weapon Qualities" article and then created an article contained inside it for each quality. However, there are 23 such qualities, and as I was putting them in I kept think how nice it would be if RW let me enter a list of article titles and then created them all at once. Over 23 (or more in some cases) creations, even the fairly simple process RW has in place can be laborious. I know that RW doesn't do bulk anything at the moment and that bulk editing has be requested before, but it can't hurt to add this to the already long list of wishes.
meek75 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old February 1st, 2016, 06:02 AM
This, this, a thousand times this!

I'm currently running a hexcrawl style campaign, and I'm using an overland map to organize it. I'm creating a topic for each hex based on it's reference number. To keep my sanity, I'm containing each topic in a "hex list" topic that corresponds to a column of hexes on the map. It would be so nice to be able to quick create all 28 hexes in a column at the same time. Bulk editing would be nice sometimes, but a bulk version of quick create would be useful a lot of the time (e.g., creating quick entries for encounter areas in a dungeon, NPCs in a cast list, cities and settlements in a region, etc).
JustinThomason is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:54 AM
+1 for this

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 1st, 2016, 11:03 AM
Would this be any different from highlighting each entry in the list and clicking the keyboard shortcut for create topic?

Arranging/typing the list into a bulk wizard would probably take just as long.
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:19 PM
In my case, there is nothing to highlight. I'm pre-creating the Hex entries based on their ID numbers on the map.

Right now, I have to hit Ctrl+Q, make sure the containing topic is correct, type the name (e.g., Hex 10.01), save it, then start the process over again.

With a bulk create feature I would just have to open the dialog (Ctrl+Shift+Q perhaps), set the containing topic (Hex List for Column 10), then type all the Hexes in the column (Hex 10.01, Hex 10.02, Hex 10.03, ...Hex 10.28), then save it once.

For my use case, I really think a bulk create would be helpful. At the very least a sticky Quick Create would help - if I had the option of keeping the Containing Topic the same across multiple Quick Create actions would help streamline my process greatly without adding a whole new programming construct.
JustinThomason is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:13 AM
JustinThomason took the words out my mouth.
meek75 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:16 AM
To track hexes in RW, I'd create a number list in Excel using Fill Series, append "Hex " using concatenation, then copy/paste that column into a topic in RW. Then I'd follow Farling's method and go down my list highlighting and creating -- but I'd only be creating those that have relevance. The plus to this is you can't mistype anything and you have a running total of which hexes have been created as they will have links.

I would highly recommend doing this rather than bulk create 1000 entries that may or may not ever have anything relevant in them. I can still create towns and NPCs and history which can all reference hexes that don't exist for future linking.

I will be doing something similar eventually as hex crawls are right in line with the open world I prefer to GM. I plan to maintain an Excel spreadsheet with columns for "Hex ID", "Settlements", "POIs", "Major NPCs" and "Notes" at the very least. This will give me a master list of everything which I can paste into a single topic so I can find anything, anywhere easily and see at a glance what else is in the vicinity of the hex I'm interested in without clicking around to a bunch of topics. This is my 10,000 foot view.

Out of curiosity, how many hexes are you considering and what details are you adding to each hex?
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 2nd, 2016, 10:24 AM
You could also have the Excel spreadsheet embedded in a topic in Realm Works as a foreign object. Then when you need to make changes, open it from Realm Works which will open it in Excel, make changes and save, and when you go back to Realm Works, it should prompt you to update the spreadsheet in Realm Works. The benefit would be having a single place for it all rather than saving a disconnected Excel spreadsheet somewhere.
davidp is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 2nd, 2016, 11:17 AM
@davidp: Definitely. Thank you for adding that. I attach my spreadsheets in RW but I also copy the summary table into RW because it will create auto-links that way. But the spreadsheet is my master copy (and a LOT easier to maintain than tables in RW).
AEIOU is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:10 PM
Good suggestions, but I still would like a bulk create option. Entering the list once and creating them in bulk is better than entering them, and then highlighting each one and then quick creating. If, for example, I need to create 100 spells in the mechanics section,all that highlighting and ctrl-q will take a lot of time.
meek75 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote