Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

nunspa

Old May 10th, 2014, 08:25 PM
so, has anyone attempted to run realm works on a full windows 8.1 tablet?
nunspa is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rogue_jm

Old May 11th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Yes, I am currently running Realm Works on both my desktop and my Surface Pro. No issues with it running other than really needing to utilize the stylus for easier manipulation. Because of the Surface runs the on-screen keyboard taking up half the screen I usually use Realm Works in portrait rather than landscape orientation so as not to be covering up the Realm Works display. I haven't used it for full data entry, but have been laying out Topics and Articles. Multi-display and keyboard/mouse make full data entry easier on the desktop.
rogue_jm is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
nunspa

Old May 12th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_jm View Post
Yes, I am currently running Realm Works on both my desktop and my Surface Pro. No issues with it running other than really needing to utilize the stylus for easier manipulation. Because of the Surface runs the on-screen keyboard taking up half the screen I usually use Realm Works in portrait rather than landscape orientation so as not to be covering up the Realm Works display. I haven't used it for full data entry, but have been laying out Topics and Articles. Multi-display and keyboard/mouse make full data entry easier on the desktop.
I was hoping to get some input on data entry (as my tablet is my go to "idea machine") I have a Samsung windows tablet with keyboard screen cover and all..

I also plan on using the cloud service so I can work on things on my PC and my Laptop :P
nunspa is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 12th, 2014, 06:22 AM
What sort of memory does the surface pro have? i wouldnt use it for entry, but it would be nice to have it for syncing when at the table....
mirtos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
nunspa

Old May 12th, 2014, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
What sort of memory does the surface pro have? i wouldnt use it for entry, but it would be nice to have it for syncing when at the table....
2 gigs of ram (same as my Samsung) and a SSHD

one trick I have used in the past (for games) is to create a account just for a specific software.... use MSCONFIG to limit which programs and services start up (for example if your not webpage surfing you can turn off your anti-virus.. a common memory hog, as well as background authentication for programs such as autocad) then you can set the core(s) priority for that specific program.

I know it worked well when I was playing Diablo on my laptop, should work with Realm Works.
nunspa is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
nunspa

Old May 12th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_jm View Post
I'm more worried about data entry, my tablet is my "go to" idea machine (because it starts up in a snap)

I have a Samsing tablet (comparable processer to the i5 in the pro) with keyboard cover so I'm not worried about screen space..

I plan on using my PC/Laptop for hard core development of my campaign but I want the option of using my tablet (for example, on an airplane or at start bucks) to so some campaign development when the mood strikes me
nunspa is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nunspa View Post
2 gigs of ram (same as my Samsung) and a SSHD

one trick I have used in the past (for games) is to create a account just for a specific software.... use MSCONFIG to limit which programs and services start up (for example if your not webpage surfing you can turn off your anti-virus.. a common memory hog, as well as background authentication for programs such as autocad) then you can set the core(s) priority for that specific program.

I know it worked well when I was playing Diablo on my laptop, should work with Realm Works.
interesting... when i was running on an older macbook and only giving windows 2GB of ram, it was pretty slow. but maybe that was the graphics card...
mirtos is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
nunspa

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
interesting... when i was running on an older macbook and only giving windows 2GB of ram, it was pretty slow. but maybe that was the graphics card...
I'm not sure this trick will work on a MAC.. Its purely PC..

also I have no idea how Realm Works will react to it, I don't own the program yet.. I was on the fence but the last few days convinced me to make the leap.

plan to pick it up Friday when I get paid
nunspa is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Hubrice

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:08 AM
I had been using my Surface Pro 2 and a second monitor just fine for many sessions. I switched to my desktop because I wanted to use larger monitors. Eventually I just decided to use 2 monitors and a 40" TV as my combat map/player view.

But for data entry the Surface works just fine, though I have to use a mouse and physical keyboard to be effective. But if you are used to using on-screen keyboards, then it will work in portrait mode just fine.
Hubrice is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
nunspa

Old May 12th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubrice View Post
I had been using my Surface Pro 2 and a second monitor just fine for many sessions. I switched to my desktop because I wanted to use larger monitors. Eventually I just decided to use 2 monitors and a 40" TV as my combat map/player view.

But for data entry the Surface works just fine, though I have to use a mouse and physical keyboard to be effective. But if you are used to using on-screen keyboards, then it will work in portrait mode just fine.
Just the news I was hoping for!

Ty!!!

you just sold me a copy... you may want to talk to Lone Wolf for a cut
nunspa is offline   #10 Reply With Quote