Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JustinThomason

Old January 15th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Hey all,

I have been holding off on HeroLabs waiting for the Mac version to be released. However, now with the Mac beta being open to all HeroLabs users I was thinking I might go ahead and pick up a license and use the beta helping out the cause as I go.

However, I would want to transfer my license to a full version once the Mac final release hits the market. If I follow through on this plan, will I need to buy another license, or will I be able to transfer to the new OS for free?

Thanks.
JustinThomason is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old January 19th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinThomason View Post
Hey all,

I have been holding off on HeroLabs waiting for the Mac version to be released. However, now with the Mac beta being open to all HeroLabs users I was thinking I might go ahead and pick up a license and use the beta helping out the cause as I go.

However, I would want to transfer my license to a full version once the Mac final release hits the market. If I follow through on this plan, will I need to buy another license, or will I be able to transfer to the new OS for free?

Thanks.
So: would you plan to use the license on the same computer/OS? If so, no transfer would be needed, as far as I know. If you were to switch machines, i think a transfer would be needed.

There isn't a "beta license" and "full license" if thats what you meant.
mirtos is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old January 19th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Actually, that's where it get's a little complicated. I am running OSX 10.6 with Parallels installed with Win XP SP3. For the time being, I could run the full version of Hero Lab on the Windows virtual machine, but once the final Mac version is released I'd rather run the program native.

As long as there isn't an OS distinction in the licenses I think I'd probably be fine - I'd probably retire the Windows install as soon as the Mac version is released. I'd just rather not pay a full licensing fee for both versions of the program. Assuming I can use my license for either version of the program I'm fine with buying now and transferring later...
JustinThomason is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old January 19th, 2012, 08:16 PM
You get a second "free" license. Its really meant so that you can have two computers. In your case (i do a similar thing). There isn't an OS distinction in licenses, but to run it both on parallels and on native would be "both" versions of your license, until you deregister it from your main.

However, that being said: To be honest, I think you'll be happy with the beta so you wont even need to run the "full" on windows Parallels (I have it on windows parallels, and ive pretty much stopped using it).
mirtos is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 20th, 2012, 03:48 AM
There is *definitely* an O/S distinction in the licenses. Your Mac will produce a very different "identity" when run natively versus Windows within a Parallels VM. It's no different from the way Hero Lab will generate a different identity for a computer if the user starts with Windows Vista and then upgrades to Windows 7.

However, you will be able to move your license from Windows to the native Mac version without any difficulties. So your safest bet is to start with Windows and then migrate to the native Mac once it is officially released.

As mirtos suggested, you get a free secondary license with your purchase. If you want, you can use one license under Windows and the other for the native Mac during the interim. The general use for the secondary license is so users can run one license on their desktop and the other on their laptop, but there is no reason you can't use them both on the same machine to run simultaneously under Windows and native Mac.

Hope this helps....
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old January 20th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
There is *definitely* an O/S distinction in the licenses. Your Mac will produce a very different "identity" when run natively versus Windows within a Parallels VM. It's no different from the way Hero Lab will generate a different identity for a computer if the user starts with Windows Vista and then upgrades to Windows 7.

However, you will be able to move your license from Windows to the native Mac version without any difficulties. So your safest bet is to start with Windows and then migrate to the native Mac once it is officially released.

As mirtos suggested, you get a free secondary license with your purchase. If you want, you can use one license under Windows and the other for the native Mac during the interim. The general use for the secondary license is so users can run one license on their desktop and the other on their laptop, but there is no reason you can't use them both on the same machine to run simultaneously under Windows and native Mac.

Hope this helps....
Thanks for the clarification Rob. Sorry for misrepresenting.
mirtos is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
JustinThomason

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the clarification - looks like I'll be pulling the trigger soon.
JustinThomason is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Rikhavok

Old March 9th, 2012, 08:59 PM
when they came out with Mac Beta, I bought Herolab for my Virtualbox version of Windows, then used the second key for the actual mac.

There's a few things that I cannot do on the mac version yet, like use the editor to make my own items which kind of sucks but that's coming.

It works great on both formats.
Rikhavok is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old March 10th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikhavok View Post
when they came out with Mac Beta, I bought Herolab for my Virtualbox version of Windows, then used the second key for the actual mac.

There's a few things that I cannot do on the mac version yet, like use the editor to make my own items which kind of sucks but that's coming.

It works great on both formats.
I agree. And without HLExport, its difficult to share my campaign changes with my players. But I can use the editor for lots of things (custom classes and abilites work).
mirtos is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
betafu

Old March 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Nope - it'd be two computers. I have a 'gaming PC' I use now for Hero Lab, and an iMac and a Macbook (the latter is used at the gaming table, the iMac is used for campaign design and write-ups.)

But I think I get it now, based on all the replies. Thank you everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
So: would you plan to use the license on the same computer/OS? If so, no transfer would be needed, as far as I know. If you were to switch machines, i think a transfer would be needed.

There isn't a "beta license" and "full license" if thats what you meant.
betafu is offline   #10 Reply With Quote