Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Strategon

Old January 4th, 2017, 07:41 PM
I'm working on learning how to add my own monsters via the editor in D&D5E. How do you get them to show up in the Encounter Builder?
Strategon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old January 4th, 2017, 09:54 PM
In that game system, in the tools menu, choose Explore Folders, and then Game System Data Folder. Make a note of that folder location - any portfolios saved there will be available in the encounter builder.
Mathias is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old January 13th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Hi Mathias,

Sorry to hijack this thread, but is it also possible to provide avatar pictures to the existing monsters through there so that when adding the monsters through the encounter builder, the picture is already set?

Thanks,
JF
jflevesque is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 13th, 2017, 02:53 PM
The community pack wont ever release the pictures. It's a legal issue. I suspect LW are in the same basket, without a license they can't legally use WOTC images.

If you are a DM my suggestion is pickup Realm Works. I build my monster data base in Realm Works. It contains all of the Hero Lab portfolios and when I save a monster, I add a picture. That way when I import a monster into combat directly from Realm Works the picture comes with it yet it uses the official and community content.

Creating Monsters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJsJ...wvP8zs_qVSrzoM

Creating Custom Monsters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKQa...wvP8zs_qVSrzoM

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
jflevesque

Old January 13th, 2017, 02:55 PM
Hi Daplunk,

I'm also using RW. Are you saying you have a topic for each monster entry of the MM with the picture set so you can import it easily to the encounter?

Thanks for the links btw.
jflevesque is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old January 13th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Excellent.

So in my mechanics section I have an entry for each monster.
In the monster article I have a Hero Lab Portfolio snippet.
I click edit and the button to launch Hero Lab allowing me to create the monster.
I use the Encounter Builder to select the monster I want and then I add a picture that I grab from Google Images straight into the Hero Lab file.
Once done click the X button to shut down Hero Lab and Realm Works will notice this and prompt you to save the changes.

This embeds the monster directly into Realm Works and now whenever you send the monster from Realm Works to Hero Lab as part of combat the picture will appear.

This video should also help cover it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQD3...wvP8zs_qVSrzoM

And this one might be interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V2_...wvP8zs_qVSrzoM

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote