Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Bloodyraven

Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:21 AM
Okay, I have scoured the threads and gone through my HL program and unless I am blind, I cannot find any way to randomly generate or auto-generate NPC's or PC's. I want this because I run many little campaigns for newbies and want to have pre-gen characters to start with, and the NPC's would help with role play.

Am I missing a function somewhere? Has this been addressed previously? I can't imagine I am the first to ask for this ability, but regardless, is this on the radar for future upgrades? Can it be?

Thanks to all you hard working HL coders and testers. I am not ungrateful, just wishfully hoping.

Cheers.
Bloodyraven is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:54 AM
For on the fly NPC's, check the stock portfolios. They have the whole NPC Codex programmed in. Pregens in the form of the Pathfinder Iconics are also already there. Just go to "open portfolio" and look in the Pathfinder folder.

No, there isn't a "random" generation method, but with 3.x/Pathfinder, to work well, it's gonna have to be very limited and basically make the same 11 (or whatever number of base classes you use) characters over and over again, or you're gonna have to risk most of your randomly generated NPC's to be completely unusable random garbage.

I've wanted a similar capacity in the past myself, but the more I thought about it, the NPC codex stock portfolios, the GameMastery Guide stock portfolios (which you have to buy the GameMastery Guide data set for), and the Iconics for pregens cover just about anything I'd need, and if it doesn't, Hero Lab is wonderful for whipping up an NPC in a few minutes while you keep playing with your group. Even high(er) levels don't necessarily take that long, if you've got a strong concept in mind.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #2 Reply With Quote