Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

JeffK88

Old October 16th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Considering purchasing this product, but wanted to find out if there are any detailed documents about the scripting language and/or good tutorials...
JeffK88 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
BoomerET

Send a message via ICQ to BoomerET Send a message via Yahoo to BoomerET Send a message via Skype™ to BoomerET

Old October 17th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Start here:
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/Home

Eventually find this:
http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index....pting_Language

Final step: Creating your own game system or extending on that already exists.

BoomerET
BoomerET is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 18th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Pathfinder, d20, and a few other game systems have extensive tutorials guiding you through setting up your own content for those games. If you play those, I recommend checking those out first before going on to the wiki that BoomerET posted.

Once you've got your head around the basics, the wiki will likely be easier to get through.
Colen is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM
And, just as a bit of advice since we get this fairly often, if you want to modify a given system, buy the license for that system. The "Authoring Kit" is primarily for building your own system more or less from scratch, although I think it comes with one of the game systems, but I don't remember which one.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Wruin

Old November 15th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I just bought HL last week. It is great for creating characters and NPCs. I have never seen better. You can advance monsters by level and add templates. It is all in the demo. If that is what you are looking for, you should buy it now.

It is powerful for creating your own content, but doing so is non-trivial. I am trying to port a 3.5 template to Pathfinder. I thought it would take 20 minutes. I now realize it will take a couple weeks for me to come up to speed with a proprietary scripting language with no roots in any language I am familiar with. For the record, those languages are: C, C++, Java, C#, Perl, Ruby, PostScript, and shell scripting in UNIX and LINUX. I am not saying it is bad, I am saying it is non-trivial.

Because the editor is complex, it is also powerful. From what I have read, there isn't much you can't do with it.
Wruin is offline   #5 Reply With Quote