Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ich.pdf

Old April 19th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Hey adzling,

had a busy time so it took me a while to get back ^^ Thanks so far, it is very helpful to see how people approach the massive information load and the rich (hi)story of shadowrun.

I am following a micro-approach in session prep, just adding what is immediately needed and then, when time is left, i follow a macro-approach, adding year after year of the Almanac of the sixth world and whatever important element of the world comes across. Slowly, both information-webs are connecting, giving me a totally new approach to making up new runs that are connected to events that happened decades ago.

But for the NPCs/Organizations/... , I think I will break down the structure to
1. Obvious Information/Appearance
2. Reputation
3. Background Story
and then just add a calendar snippet if I really need to know when someone was married :-D

Well, a really big help would be to sneak a peek of your realm from a players perspective ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
hey Ich, as you noted I built my own templates to emulate Srun scenes.

I mostly use default or generic ones for the other categories (though not all).

You are right this can result in either a wall of text or tons of tiny snippets with disassociated info all broken up and hard to read.

I tend to lean towards the wall of text, broken up into smaller walls that correspond to the break points in the source books.

Once you get to a certain level of content entry the whole thing starts building reference links and becomes far more helpful than it otherwise would be.

Basically the more work you put in the more utility you get out on the backend but you have to reach a certain base level for it to be any use.

Our campaign spans the globe so I have been entering content from the sourcebooks before my team gets to the locale. I focus on those areas and leave the rest of the world until they have a reason to go there.

This lets them read the background on a location between play sessions so they have something to Roleplay against in-session.

I then reveal more local content as the discover it / the plot demands.

I do wish we had player specific reveal, printing/ export and the ability to run the client on an iPad.
But if lonewolf ever gets the web-view working this should solve a lot of these issues.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

cheers

Adz
ich.pdf is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old April 19th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Send me your email in a PM and I'll invite you to my realm so you can see what the players see ;-)

Or just ask Acenoid, he already got an invite.
adzling is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old May 31st, 2016, 01:55 PM
Thought I'd another cool image.
This shows the joy of good source material (the original 1e/2e London Sourcebook) and a nice feature of Realmworks (embedded hyperlinks).

The original London Sourcebook was so well thought out they included REAL addresses for their London locations 20+years ago. So as I am adding them into Realmworks I can also add in a hyperlink from google maps.

Now all we have to do in-game to get a bearing on the landscape around some impromptu action is to click the address for the location entry and boom, google map for street layout + google streetview for actual on-street details is available in an instant.

That's some pretty powerful stuff there for a GM.

It also highlights how good the old source material was compared to the stuff being churned out today (the most recent Catalyst location setting, Seattle Digital box set has NO MAP or address info at all, go figure).

See link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lga6onuyk...inks1.jpg?dl=0
adzling is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Molash

Old March 20th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Hello, i know this is a bit of an old post, but i was wondering with the new export/import feature has anyone thougt of setting up a group to start building a larger Srun realm? one where everone can continue to add to it, and even share or incorparate major runs into their personal games cannon?
Molash is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old March 21st, 2018, 06:52 AM
i'd like to share my realm but i'm stuck behind an export bug that has been in place for at least 6 months.

so i'm waiting on the lone wolf team to issue their next bug fix.

until then nothing i can do but sit on my hands.
adzling is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 23rd, 2018, 09:15 AM
Adzling,

I had a developer reach out to you, we are trying to figure out what the problem with your realm is and make sure it's the same bug we are working on for others. They need a file from you and are having trouble accessing it. Can you please check your email?

Thanks!
BJ is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 23rd, 2018, 09:32 AM
Good Luck in fixing this! 6 Months is quite some time, maybe offer some kind of generous compensation - tour day through LWD studios or so

Btw just a suggestion - some developer studios do some "focus feedback sessions" maybe it might be even worthwhile to pick one hot topic to gather ideas / feedback and ideas to tackle the issue with the goal for you to get some more ideas from a different perspection. Some dedicated topics that I could imagine would be for example how to organize the ribbon bar and what functionality it should offer

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 23rd, 2018, 01:21 PM
"tour day through LWD studios or so "
This made me chuckle.... since a third of LWD actually work from home......

"On your right you see what was once the immaculate living room that now looks like a paper landfill with stacks of papers sorted into suggestions, ideas, and complaints......
And on your left you see BJ's Kitchen... never mind that stack of coffee cups in the sink. They are byproducts of too many caffeine injections juggling all the LWD appearances, posts, and delays.......... or all those cherrio's sticking on the table, floor and ceiling, meticulously placed by the new tricycle motor running loose in her home. The last of course courtesy of her own children, as the child grins broadly with a bib around the neck reading sugar injections please......

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 24th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Lord Galen View Post
"tour day through LWD studios or so "
This made me chuckle.... since a third of LWD actually work from home......

"On your right you see what was once the immaculate living room that now looks like a paper landfill with stacks of papers sorted into suggestions, ideas, and complaints......
And on your left you see BJ's Kitchen... never mind that stack of coffee cups in the sink. They are byproducts of too many caffeine injections juggling all the LWD appearances, posts, and delays.......... or all those cherrio's sticking on the table, floor and ceiling, meticulously placed by the new tricycle motor running loose in her home. The last of course courtesy of her own children, as the child grins broadly with a bib around the neck reading sugar injections please......

Buahaha! It's like you've been here!
BJ is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old March 24th, 2018, 12:36 PM
@Dark Lord Galen: They probably have a very special place reserved just for you If you should get an invite to a tour DONT take it

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #30 Reply With Quote