Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun

Notices

AndrewD2

Old February 5th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Also note that author intent does not mean what the developer will finally go with. Catalyst has the option to use all, some, or none of what the author gives them if the developer doesn't think it fits. I know stuff like this happens a lot with Paizo as well (as I'm friends with a number of their freelancers/writers). So at the time the author wrote it, he may have intended for it to be one way, but Catalyst decided differently after they had it in their hands.
AndrewD2 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old February 5th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Yup that's all true AndrewD2.

Except Catalyst really doesn't seem to have any idea what the rules SHOULD be.
They haven't released any errata in over a year and their books are riddled with editing errors that the freelancers who wrote same sections call out as errors and omissions.

So much that it's literally impossible to divine the author's intent on how a rule should work for much of the game (see Riggers, Deckers and Technomancers).

Basically Catalyst is shoveling tripe at their fans as quickly as they can publish without actually spending the time to ensure that things are even marginally correct/balanced/understandable/playable.
adzling is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Kiirnodel

Old February 5th, 2016, 09:41 PM
While I don't disagree on any particular point, the most we can really do is speculate on these things. And it isn't particularly productive.

Arguing and complaining about what Catalyst is or is not doing to correct or clarify mistakes isn't going to affect change, especially on these forums, for HeroLab. The only thing applicable to the program would be if clear and relevant clarifications of a rule were forth-coming. Which, as has been pointed out, comments by the freelancer originally responsible for the Adept Ways does not necessarily qualify. It is a start, but not technically an official response.

My suggestion to resolve this particular issue for the time being, is to add this as another house-rule. We already have one that makes the Ways "Qualities" cost the x1 karma cost during post char-gen. Perhaps we could also add one that makes the Ways not count toward the Positive Quality maximum.

This way, people that want to follow use these suggestions by the freelancer could do so, and those that want to adhere strictly to what is in the book can do so as well. I believe technically, right now, the Missions community, for example, does not follow these rules. Although the Missions FAQ is more frequently added to, so a new take on this rule might be coming up in a revision.

On the same note, if an official ruling is released (after this has been implemented as a house rule in HeroLab) that confirms this as the actual rule, I would suggest that the house rule and official implementation simply be reversed. At this point, there are likely plenty of groups that are using the Ways as Qualities and following the basic limitations of such as they stand. And I know from experience that there would be plenty of groups that would continue to do so even with an official errata.
Kiirnodel is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Polecat

Old February 8th, 2016, 05:19 AM
Speaking of this... I think its a bug but if you buy a STREET GANG as a contact, it counts towards your maximum number of qualities (and I don't think anywhere in the rules it says that is a thing). Someone might want to report it.
Polecat is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Thrawn21

Old February 8th, 2016, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
Speaking of this... I think its a bug but if you buy a STREET GANG as a contact, it counts towards your maximum number of qualities (and I don't think anywhere in the rules it says that is a thing). Someone might want to report it.
That is perfectly fine as it it. From Run Faster page 177:
Quote:
Selecting and organizational contact is a little different than choosing other contacts. Treat the Karma spent at character creation for an organizational contact as part of the expenditure for positive qualities, making it part of the limit that can be spent on qualities.
Thrawn21 is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Polecat

Old February 8th, 2016, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn21 View Post
That is perfectly fine as it it. From Run Faster page 177:
Interesting! Odd. But thank you Thrawn.
Polecat is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Thrawn21

Old February 9th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
Interesting! Odd. But thank you Thrawn.
You are welcome. Well, do not know why they decided to make group contacts count towards quality limit myself, it is a bit strange indeed, but that are at least the current rules.
Thrawn21 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote