Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sentath

Old August 4th, 2013, 11:09 AM
And I got to file:///C:/ProgramData/Hero%20Lab/data/d20/authoring/d20edittut4.htm

Tutorial 4:
Inheriting Abilities from Another Class

Ok, so I have made the Craftsman, I had to rename the Battlemage, cause it was overlapping with something and pulling in things I hadn't typed.

I make the 'Priest' under another name, just to be safe. New (Blank), Class Name, Abbreviation, Identifier (same as name). I scroll down to the Custom Abilities, I click the edit button next to 'Allow Class Abilities' and place a checkmark next to 'Cleric'.

'Test Now', save record, wait for compile, test the current thing. It gives me a hero with a level of my renamed 'Priest' class and the appropriate tab, but no domains.

Ok, add a level of Cleric and get that tab complete with domains (2 left) and 0 level spells.

The tutorial said this would enable domains for the 'Priest' but I don't see it. Is the tutorial out of date, or did I skip something (thrice minimum)?

Thank You

P.S. I'll try to keep this thread going as I hit other oddities or learn new nifty things.
Attached Files
File Type: zip workspace3.zip (509 Bytes, 0 views)
Sentath is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sentath

Old August 6th, 2013, 09:32 PM
Decided that reading the Auth kit wiki might be interesting. (it is, I recommend it http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/Main_Page). For example it told me that these really are XML files and the usual comment style applies. While I was looking around I found a couple things I'd like to format and a typo. A silly little thing that almost shouldn't count.

Does anyone have edit authority to go fix an 'of' to an 'or' on http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/Fields or to change "<!––" and "––>" to <pre>"<!––"</pre> and <pre>"––>"</pre> in http://hlkitwiki.wolflair.com/index.php5/XML_Files That is unless the <pre> tag takes away html formatting as well. The wiki at work isn't as highly customized as this one.

I also decided to come at my previous problem from the other way 'round and made a 'New (Copy)' class copying the Cleric. By commenting out line 4 <fieldval field="cSpecSing" value="Domain"/> it took away domains and instead said to "Add more Custom Abilities (2 left)!" It seems obvious to me that there is lower level structure that I'm not yet aware of.
Sentath is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 7th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentath View Post
I also decided to come at my previous problem from the other way 'round and made a 'New (Copy)' class copying the Cleric. By commenting out line 4 <fieldval field="cSpecSing" value="Domain"/> it took away domains and instead said to "Add more Custom Abilities (2 left)!" It seems obvious to me that there is lower level structure that I'm not yet aware of.
What is it you are trying to accomplish by commenting out that line? Also, if you go to the Class tab, you can see this same field by pressing the "Fields" button in the upper right.
Sendric is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sentath

Old August 7th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
What is it you are trying to accomplish by commenting out that line?
Super long term goal is to be a freelance HL datafile guy. More realizable goal is to become a useful community member. Short term is more like, "This bit is interesting looking, what does it do when I...?"

Quote:
Also, if you go to the Class tab, you can see this same field by pressing the "Fields" button in the upper right.
Thank you. I shall go mess around with those.
Sentath is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old August 7th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentath View Post
Thank you. I shall go mess around with those.
No problem. For the most part, you shouldn't have to do any editing of the user files through an xml or text editor (though it does happen on occasion).
Sendric is offline   #5 Reply With Quote