Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

MilkmanDan

Old January 21st, 2017, 04:04 PM
Hi guys,

Just purchased realm works to build a Pokemon RPG style tabletop campaign. I'm just wondering, I can't find anywhere as to how you actually go about playing once you've designed a realm. I mean... I have the GM version, I'm making stuff, liking how it works. But what about the session? Do the players all need seperate computers to see revealed information? Can I use multi screens to access the GM info and display player info on another?... Can all the players just have access to a player account linked to my realm and view the campaign on one seperate computer?... I'm just really confused and I can't find a youtube video of anyone actually playing this in a group setting. I understand for pretty much all of you this is a dumb question... but I just can't wrap my head around how you actually play a game.
MilkmanDan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 22nd, 2017, 12:46 AM
Questions are never dumb - or almost never :-)

RW is mainly a management tool for managing your game world and for running a game.

As such RW is primarily directed towards the game master.

Whatever the game master reveals the players can access through a number of ways.

1: Player View
At the table the GM can have a second monitor and present things on that monitor so that the players can see them. It could be a picture of the newly discovered pokemon, a map over emerald city, some text explaining a rule.
Now, the players have to be present physically in the same room for that to work (unless you allow them to access the second monitor through teamviewer or something (I have no idea).

This is what I use - it works very, very well (at least for me).

2: Player version of RW
If the players have a player version of RW (a GM version will as well), they can look through what you have revealed.
BUT! There is a big but!
It is mainly meant as a "look through everything up to and including last session". This is because you, as the GM, has to reveal the content you want to reveal, then exit the realm, synch to the cloud. After that your players will have to synch from the cloud and they can then look through the stuff.
This means, that you can't reveal stuff and have your players see it automatically on their RW the moment you press reveal.

This gives your players an option to look through the "old" information and refresh what their characters know about "Puff the Dragon" or whatever when they encounter that name during the evening's session.

3: Web Version (not available yet)
Web version is in the works and will make it possible for the players to access your realm with a sort'o a RW Player Version Light running in a web-browser. Details are sketchy but I believe this will be free to use for the players.

I probably missed something but I am sure others will chime in in that case.

Videos:
Take a look here for videos explaining different features of RW:
http://forums.wolflair.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91

And please ask again - we all ask stuff all the time and there is always someone who has the answer and the time to reply :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; January 22nd, 2017 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Clarifying
Vargr is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old January 22nd, 2017, 01:47 AM
I tried to get some footage of my group using RW on two screens. I still have a lot to learn about lighting and sound apparently because it came out so badly I deleted the whole mess. In doing so I also annoyed my group so much I had to agree to not involve them in any more videos for a while so it will be a good long while before I can show a video of how its done.

Basically the genetically engineered dog is right though the ideal use is on two monitors at the table.

Even if your players pay little attention to RW, mine don't, you may still find the tool invaluable in letting you organize your campaign.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old January 22nd, 2017, 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Basically the genetically engineered dog is right
LOL

That was a new one :-)

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MilkmanDan

Old January 22nd, 2017, 12:54 PM
Thank you so much, that clears it up for me... I was able to figure out the mechanics of displaying on multi-screen, which was what I was hoping I could achieve all along. Appreciate the reply.
MilkmanDan is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old January 22nd, 2017, 08:09 PM
it should work this day, but it doesn't.

it's still very useful though, we use it with a second display aa the tabletop and use that for sharing maps and content.

hopefully they'll get to something like you describe eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkmanDan View Post
Hi guys,

Just purchased realm works to build a Pokemon RPG style tabletop campaign. I'm just wondering, I can't find anywhere as to how you actually go about playing once you've designed a realm. I mean... I have the GM version, I'm making stuff, liking how it works. But what about the session? Do the players all need seperate computers to see revealed information? Can I use multi screens to access the GM info and display player info on another?... Can all the players just have access to a player account linked to my realm and view the campaign on one seperate computer?... I'm just really confused and I can't find a youtube video of anyone actually playing this in a group setting. I understand for pretty much all of you this is a dumb question... but I just can't wrap my head around how you actually play a game.
adzling is offline   #6 Reply With Quote