Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Happydevil43

Old December 19th, 2016, 05:30 AM
Has anybody had this error and know how to fix it ?

Firebird_Connection_Failed ? (Screenshot attached)

All I did was attempt to restore the database to my laptop Realmworks (which I have done a few times before)

I cannot get Realmworks to load at all, and I have submitted a bug report, but it seems to be dead in the water, I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Realmworks and get the same message, even tried an older version and as soon as it opens, along with multiple reboots.

Any ideas ? or am I rummaging through the registry tomorrow morning?

Cheers
Happydevil43
Attached Images
File Type: jpg realmworks error.JPG (83.5 KB, 24 views)
Happydevil43 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 19th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Firebird is the underlying DB that RW runs.

Is everything still fine on your desktop?

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old December 19th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Did you click the "Send Error Report" button? That sends us a bunch of useful information on what might have caused the crash.
Joe is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 19th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Use this command to open the folder that has your Realm Works master folder:

Code:
explorer "%APPDATA%\LWD Technology, Inc"
Rename the "Realm Works" folder to something else (and keep it in case the RW team wants to see your problem database) then start Realm Works again and let it download from the server or restore from your backup.

(Alternatively, download the Realm Works Locations Application linked in my signature, which has buttons to do this for you.)

FWIW, Firebird is the name of the database engine used by Realm Works. By renaming the folder and letting Realm Works create a new one you're testing to see if your master database or one of the support files became corrupted. Uninstalling and reinstalling RW doesn't do anything to your existing database files; you have to mess with them yourself.

Last edited by Parody; December 19th, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old December 19th, 2016, 02:26 PM
Hi Guys,

@Kbs666 - Yes everything seems to be ok, Herolab works ok, and all other apps fired up ok.

@Joe - Yes, I sent an error log through (In fact I think I did it twice)

@Parody - That app is awesome, but I don't think it fixed the problem.

I used Parody's app to find the location and rename it. I fired up RW and updated to the latest version (same as the desktop), then tried to restore the DB again, and it did the same thing.

Now I can fire up RW again, I am going to try the slower sync process to see if that fixes the problem.
Happydevil43 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old December 19th, 2016, 02:37 PM
What do you mean by restoring the DB, exactly?

There is a technique for copying the DB file from one computer to another. Is that what you're talking about? If RW can download the whole thing from the cloud, what syncing will do if you've renamed the directory, then the problem has to be some corruption in your data.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Happydevil43

Old December 19th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
What do you mean by restoring the DB, exactly?

There is a technique for copying the DB file from one computer to another. Is that what you're talking about? If RW can download the whole thing from the cloud, what syncing will do if you've renamed the directory, then the problem has to be some corruption in your data.
Hi Kbs666,

I use the backup and restore function in RW on the master PC (Desktop) which is opening RW fine. I used this function as I was getting the "-306 error" when syncing on the laptop.

A full sync from the cloud has me back up and running (it took ages, and my realm is only about 100MB) , but not sure what's causing this, its been working fine, up until yesterday. I have a session tonight, so I am back up and running (phew!), but tomorrow I will try the back up and restore function again and see what happens.
Happydevil43 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 19th, 2016, 02:58 PM
If you want to keep investigating, you could copy your other backups from the master machine (RW keeps ten of them in your Documents folder) and restore each of them in turn on the laptop to see if you can find one that works. Having "this one works, the next one fails" should help LWD narrow down the problem once they have time to ask you for databases.

Glad you got back up and running!

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote