Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Dgrm44

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I have been using Hero Lab for about a month now and what a disappointment it is turning out to be. It has such potential, but the software team can't meet that potential due to lack of resources.

I hope that someone eventually releases a complete tool for Pathfinder. It is such a shame that Hero Lab is missing so much. If a complete tool ever shows up I will be the first in line to buy it. Hopefully someone will soon.
Dgrm44 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
djc664

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Umm.... perhaps it would help if you could articulate what it's missing rather than simply lamenting about an unspecified "so much" amount? What is it that would make this, or anything else, complete?
djc664 is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dgrm44

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
1. All data from all Pathfinder products. All monsters, feats, spells etc.

2. Complete tactical control over your combats including auto tracking of effects and total rounds. Automatically adjusting the stats per effect as they are active and later inactive. This includes all buffs/debuffs/spells/conditions/etc/etc.

3. Able to read the data in each of the columns in the main window, too much info gets cut-off. Just seems very cheaply done. The overall UI needs improvement including where the tactical console shows up in relation to the main window. The fonts and overall look could also use a slight update.
Dgrm44 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Dgrm44

Old July 18th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Don't get me wrong. I don't think that I wasted my money, I am just unhappy that no one has done a truly COMPLETE solution to game management of Pathfinder.

Last edited by Dgrm44; July 18th, 2011 at 05:37 PM. Reason: typo
Dgrm44 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:18 PM
I find it has enough to run pathfinder games and play in them as a character.

If you want all the pathfinder books, buy the expansions to the tool.

It is just a tool to help you, not do it all for you. The tactical console does track rounds, but I have not looked to see if it can control powers on or off. If you add the changes to adjust tab for spells, conditions for well conditions. And the best bit is it's accessible from the tactical console, click the box to apply.

I've done most of that manually, due to characters abilities used lasting longer than most combats.

Hide some of the windows to show only what you need to see, I run mostly from the tactical window as a GM and as a player I have a character sheet printed out that I refer to, but have the tool available for more information.

The compatibility with things like the d20 electronic tabletop programs sounds more like what you are looking for??

- And look at Realm Works listed on the site as coming soon for keeping track of non-character specific information.

While this tool is not everything, it has simplified running my games, and all characters are available at every session, I just need access to a printer if the sheet is lost.

So if it is not working for you, see if you can find a way to use it differently, customise it, I added text fields to containers so they were easier to choose between.

And in the end, its a tabletop game, this tool simplifies the rules management, but you still have to think and if it is not working for a case, apply logic and work around it. It is worth its cost just as a character builder as far as I am concerned. That it is far more useful and used in game by my group is a bonus.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I am starting to feel the same way. I am getting tired of assigning a feat or ability to a character and it says it has not been implemented yet. It seems that these things have not been implemented but have been in this state for a long time. It is do some of the work and then move on to the next book while never fixing or implementing the old stuff.
Dwayne is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Nikmal

Old July 18th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgrm44 View Post
1. All data from all Pathfinder products. All monsters, feats, spells etc.

2. Complete tactical control over your combats including auto tracking of effects and total rounds. Automatically adjusting the stats per effect as they are active and later inactive. This includes all buffs/debuffs/spells/conditions/etc/etc.

3. Able to read the data in each of the columns in the main window, too much info gets cut-off. Just seems very cheaply done. The overall UI needs improvement including where the tactical console shows up in relation to the main window. The fonts and overall look could also use a slight update.
Everything you are complaining about is in the software already. Being picky about where the tactical console shows up is just nit picking too. The GUI is a personal preference as well.. If you do not like it there are more that do. Not everyone is going to be happy over aesthetics and such when it comes down to personal preference.

All conditions are in the game. All spells as far as buffs and such are NOT hard to add yourself if you like. But as far as them being in.. not hard to figure out from there. I do so quite easily.

You do complain about a lot of little things in these forums DGRM44 I wish that you would be truly happy. But the things I am seeing here do not warrant your saying it is incomplete because of the UI for the most part and some other minor issues. Remember not everyone is going to be happy with everything.
Nikmal is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:26 AM
First, let me say that I absolutely love HeroLab - it's an awesome tool and I use it all the time. I bought a license for a friend and he's now hooked on it as well. I support HeroLab with my voice (talking it up to my friends, 'posting it up' both here and on ENWorld) and my money (I have almost every Pathfinder dataset, and as soon as my finances recover from my imminent vacation I'll pick up Ultimate Magic and my collection will once more be complete).

However, the OP does have a valid point. It's not complete.
  • As he said, there are many things that "have not been implemented." This is a bit of a letdown. I paid for it, it should be available; if it's not, it should be made available at the earliest opportunity.
  • Each installment of the adventure paths includes about 6 new monsters. That's about 140 monsters to date, and that number just keeps growing. (Yes, I know some/most of these are available as .user files, but I'd much rather see them included in the official package).

There are likely other things missing from packages that are already implemented that I've not thought of, but these two popped immediately to mind.

I understand that LW is a very small company and resources (employees) who can do this work are limited. But this is a problem that is only going to get worse unless steps are taken to correct it. Paizo surely isn't going to stop putting out material, which means that LW as it currently stands is always going to be struggling to keep up with the new stuff, which means that finding time to go back and take care of the "this has not been implemented" stuff (and the AP bestiaries, etc) is always going to get pushed to the back burner.

This should change - if I pay for a product, I'd really like to get the whole product.

(Did I get the tone right? I'm not bitter at all; as I said, I love HL and support it whole-heartedly, but I think part of that support should be giving feedback about what I think would make the product better).
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dgrm44

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:20 AM
Well said Mowgli. I am not giving this feedback to trash the program, only to alert Lone Wolf that they have a gap and if it isn't fixed it could be a serious issue down the road. Especially if someone comes along and creates something more complete than Herolab.
Dgrm44 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dgrm44

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikmal View Post
Everything you are complaining about is in the software already. Being picky about where the tactical console shows up is just nit picking too. The GUI is a personal preference as well.. If you do not like it there are more that do. Not everyone is going to be happy over aesthetics and such when it comes down to personal preference.

All conditions are in the game. All spells as far as buffs and such are NOT hard to add yourself if you like. But as far as them being in.. not hard to figure out from there. I do so quite easily.

You do complain about a lot of little things in these forums DGRM44 I wish that you would be truly happy. But the things I am seeing here do not warrant your saying it is incomplete because of the UI for the most part and some other minor issues. Remember not everyone is going to be happy with everything.
Nikmal, I am not complaining...I am giving legitimate feedback about a product I paid for. I spent my cash so I earned the right to give my opinion. The product IS incomplete. Adventure Path monsters are not included. The issue with the GUI and Tactical Console are personal preference, but if it was more user friendly and could track what round and turn a buff/debuff ends on then it would "FEEL" completed to me.
Dgrm44 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote