Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Viking2054

Old October 5th, 2019, 05:49 AM
If they ever do shut down the servers, they need to give us a way to generate new GUID's or else no new realms for anyone.
Viking2054 is offline   #91 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 5th, 2019, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaeran View Post
Any chance you're able to share the framework that was used?
If you look in the RealmWorks folder you can see a lot of DLLs from the DevExpress framework.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #92 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old October 5th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaeran View Post
Any chance you're able to share the framework that was used?
The app and DLLs tell us that Realm Works is a WinForms application using controls from DevExpress (as Farling noted), the Northwoods GoDiagram diagramming tools, and the Firebird database engine.

Parody is online now   #93 Reply With Quote
Knightblde

Old October 6th, 2019, 07:07 AM
Ugh. I too was an Alpha Wolf backer with beta access. I had a lot of issues with this program when they changed the data system to a much more structured and rigid system that made it difficult to use Realm Works as I want. This is super important to me. I don't care about sharing my stuff with the world, and I don't care about using the stuff of other people. Both, in my opinion, would require systems that don't mesh well with custom data.

That said, I have come to LOVE the power and level of customization within Realm Works. I have been using World Anvil since Rob's letter and after 10 hours, I am super frustrated. It seems to me to be a web authoring program, not a database for my games. It might look pretty, but damn, it is a major pain in the butt.

So, where do I (we) go from here? I want to trust that RW will be around for a while and I can keep putting in my info and setting it up as I need. RW has spoiled me in that regard. But can I trust it is not a dead program? Dunjinni was an awesome map making program, but it is gone now.

I do wish LW the very best, but my Star Wars FFG games are not supported by HLO. I bought it, but after 10 years or so, I'm not really interested in Pathfinder anymore. I'm sure I will be back to it, but for the foreseeable future, Star Wars is my game.

So again, where do we go from here?
Knightblde is offline   #94 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 6th, 2019, 07:20 AM
Personally I'll continue using RW, assuming the HLO integration issue is fixed, until something clearly superior comes along or it fails for some reason.

Ultimately I think a campaign manager is such a narrow tool that it will be challenge for any to be a commercial success. I had hoped LWD would release the RW code base to serve as a starting point for an open source program but if that isn't going to happen people who want a powerful GM's tool might need to come together and do it themselves.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #95 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old October 6th, 2019, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightblde View Post
So, where do I (we) go from here? I want to trust that RW will be around for a while and I can keep putting in my info and setting it up as I need. RW has spoiled me in that regard. But can I trust it is not a dead program? Dunjinni was an awesome map making program, but it is gone now.
RW is an application on your computer, not a web based tool, so it will be around as long as you can install it on a computer. The only restriction is maybe losing the ability to create new realms in the future (if they were to ever shut down the RW cloud server).

Thus, there isn't any reason to stop using it for your existing campaigns.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #96 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old October 6th, 2019, 11:16 AM
You could create a few dozen placeholders now if you'd like to, you should be save then ?
Not enteirely sure bout it , is a connection required if I copy master db files between laptop and desktop? Atm there is no problem since the servers are there.

Anyways it would be best if LWD would maybe review their decision once in a while.

Join the (unofficial) Realm-Works IRC Chat: #realm-works on the Rizon Network (https://wiki.rizon.net/index.php?title=Servers)
-> Browser Client: https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.rizon.net
Acenoid is offline   #97 Reply With Quote
Ualaa

Old October 6th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I created a bunch of empty realms, for future campaigns. Basically one for any adventure path or module that I'd like to run at some point. Plus a dozen or so, that are brainstormed ideas of campaigns that aren't really fleshed out much.

For me, the integration of a Realm Works saved portfolio of Hero Lab content (which I already had most of for Pathfinder) was a major reason to be RW (Joshua Plukett's videos, specifically).
Hopefully Realm Works will integrate with the newer and shiny 64-bit HL, in the near future.
Ualaa is offline   #98 Reply With Quote
Knightblde

Old October 6th, 2019, 09:38 PM
I just spent 3 days and $100 with World Anvil. Amazing people. Clueless as to GM tools. Somebody sell your IDEAS to them. They have an incredible community and a good start. No idea what it means to have a system you can USE at the table. They are too much polish, not enough paint.
Knightblde is offline   #99 Reply With Quote
Teresa

Old October 6th, 2019, 11:00 PM
Although I am sad, I still love what RW can do. I am not a GM - I use RW for wordbuilding related to writing. I've also tried World Anvil but RW is still better for what I want: to develop my own notes. WA seems to be, as somebody said before, too focused on looks. Perhaps it'll get better in the future.

I also hope that RW will be able to be developed in the future. I'm not holding my breath, though; neither will I be surprised if it never happens. Still, it doesn't hurt to be hopeful in the backburner.
Teresa is offline   #100 Reply With Quote