Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Vampyre

Old September 15th, 2013, 02:14 AM
Hello guys ! First of all, since this is my first post, some background

I'm an old RPG tabletop player. I started with Warhammer (1st, which is not the true first, but more the second, since the first was never released), Cyberpunk 2020, Vampire 1st, and Star Wars 1st. So yes, it's quite old now. Then I stopped when I left school (lack of players, you know the drill).

Since June, I was thinking of finding some people still doing tabletop rpg's, and I found them ! Since then I'm now in a cluband enjoying playing as a PC. But... Mastery is still there in my mind, and in august, I started to search a rpg I would like to play as a GM. I found it, and I'm learning it right now.

I'm a big freak of using props when I play : like maps, and stuff like that. So I started to search in a way to organize and plan my campaigns.

I found the tools for doing my maps, but I was still searching at a program to truly organize myself, and not getting lost with all the sparse informations a GM must have under its hand.

You know, the kind of situation where the players decide to go to the left, when you were expecting they would go on the right because they didn't noticed a small detail. Of course, you didn't had the place populated in your head, and suddenly, you need to imagine what was not planned. Creating NPC on the fly, creating places on the fly, and trying to get back on your foot to guide the players in the right direction. Those moments are what makes a campaign truly interesting, since we are all writing down our own story, alltogether.

I searched the forums, and noticed a lot of programs to help you getting organised. But it was not enough... Not enough for what I would like to be prepared.

And then I stumbled on this program... I searched in youtube, and watched the videos for it. I read any text... Jeez... THIS is the tool I need. It does everything I would like it to, and adds even more to it.

That is definitely a buy from me. I arrived to late for the kickstarter, but to be totally honest with you guys, I will be watching closely and will buy as soon as I see it hit your store !

I think I only have one question left in my head, to truly say I will buy this when it goes out. My view on this program, is that I would have it installed on my laptop, and will take it with me when I'll play as a GM. People will play normally, but I will be able to track their progress inside my campaign, and keep track of all the details. I will have my NPC database ready in case they got lost, places ready... But I will not have internet when I'll be mastering, so the question is the following : is it mandatory to be connected when using the program ?

Thanks a lot for making this program a reality, and for answering me as well

Good games !

Vampyre
Vampyre is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old September 16th, 2013, 01:16 PM
It is absolutely NOT necessary to be connected to the internet to use Realm Works at all.

Even once they implement the player side of the server stuff, you'll be able to reveal and such through a local network, at least that's how I understand it.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Once again, many thanks for the answer. It's a total buy then as soon as it gets out ! I don't truly care about having it under a local network (remember, I'm an old returning player from the ages where computers wereas big as my printer, with a small screen in 16 colors, and laptop were all gray and were quite heavy). We still play the old way. I can see many applications for the reveal for the players. I definitely can, but it's not a must have for me. If I find a way to do it with a local network, i will be very happy, but if i don't, it won't kill me neither.

Internet was my main concern, but if it's not a necessity, then I'm truly expecting the software to be released as soon as possible ! I know... it will be ready when ready (perhaps in octobre, as far as I've read, but I will check every day, just to make sure )

Many thanks !
Vampyre is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:10 AM
"It is absolutely NOT necessary to be connected to the internet to use Realm Works at all."

Minor nits (or never say never): I'm pretty sure you will need to connect to the internet to create your campaign(s) initially as they need to set up the server side just-in-case. And recently, one of the updates required logging in to receive a change to the data structure.

98% of the time you can use it completely offline. But I think there will be rare times that you will need to login and connect via the internet.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old September 17th, 2013, 11:31 PM
Thanks for this complement of information

I'm totally fine with that fact. To be honest, when I create a campaign, or when I'm working on my campaign, I will be home, where I do have internet. 90% of my time, I will be home when using this software. The only moment I will not is when I play with my players. It's for those 10% that I asked. Being online for the rest of the time is not a deal breaker for me, as long as I have the possibility to take my laptop with me, and getting to the club, and play a game there.

Thanks for the information anyways
Vampyre is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:04 AM
You will need to make sure that the network adaptor that you use to connect to the internet is on, even if you are not connected to the internet...

See this thread for details.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ChrisRevocateur

Old September 18th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
You will need to make sure that the network adaptor that you use to connect to the internet is on, even if you are not connected to the internet...

See this thread for details.
That thread isn't relevant to this one, at least not yet, as that is a discussion with the Early Release team about a bug that exists in the Early Release/Beta Test. We're talking to Vampyre about how he would use it as a final consumer.

If that bug persists into full release, then yes, that information would be relevant, but in all likelyhood they'll have it fixed before public release.
ChrisRevocateur is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Vampyre

Old September 19th, 2013, 03:50 AM
Thanks again for both of you. In either way, be it fixed or not, for me it won't change much. My wireless adapter is always on, even when I'm not on a network.

I will make the tests when it's out (argh can't wait )
Vampyre is offline   #8 Reply With Quote