Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Galymyr

Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:59 PM
Has anyone else noticed the content for We Be Goblins seems a little sparse? In one section it actually references an overland map that doesn't exist. The topics for the Marsh and the Village only contain like 2 snippets each. Admittedly, I have not had a chance to read the .pdf fully but from just a quick overview I k is the map is missing and it seems the two topics i mentioned are a bit light. I downloaded and installed twice just to make sure I didn't have a corrupt install and I did get a strange message that generated a log on both installs, I'll post the text when I get home.
Galymyr is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:11 PM
Check it versus the pdf. They have added the content provided. Keeping in mind that We Be Goblins plays out in a section of the world that is fleshed out in other products. It is effectively the oppositions point of view of the starter pack apparently.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 22nd, 2017, 01:27 PM
Almost the entire PDF is provided. The only thing I couldn't find was the sidebar marked "About This Adventure."

The overland map is in the realm. It is in the We Be Goblins storyline topic.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 22nd, 2017, 10:27 PM
Try looking at the Story Board. Put it in the navigation pane. I find the content to be more than complete with overland and battlemaps. Not sure what else would be expected.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:55 AM
Well if a map is referenced, it should be linked. Or if a geographical feature/zone is mentioned, the map should be linked. Seems like bad module building.
Bidmaron is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 23rd, 2017, 04:56 AM
There will be hiccups and transcription issues while the community and the companies settle on a standard(s) that works.

I think it is fairly obvious that Isle of Kandril and We Be Goblins were both entered into RW by people who have not used RW very much or at the very least have very different ideas on how content will be organized from most people who have shared their content.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 23rd, 2017, 06:21 AM
We Be Goblins was a small module produced for Free RPG Day a couple of years ago. It is meant to be a short introduction to RPGs for new players in order to grow the hobby.

The PDF and print product is 20 pages, including front and back covers. There are 4 pages of pre-generated characters, the exterior covers, and the inside back cover, cutting 7 pages out of the 20. The inside of the front cover contains the maps for the adventure site (tactical maps). That leaves 12 pages for the actual adventure text, one of which is partially used for the Adventure Summary and the Adventure Background.

We Be Goblins was received well-enough that the Paizo adventures for the following Free RPG Day in the next few years included We Be Goblins Too, We Be Goblins Free, and We B4 Goblins.

The mention of the larger world is immaterial.. it only matters if you plan to use We Be Goblins as part of a campaign in that world, and sets the context. In the end, We Be Goblins is an advertisement for Paizo's paid content.. so a lead from one to the other should be expected.
Silveras is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 23rd, 2017, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
There will be hiccups and transcription issues while the community and the companies settle on a standard(s) that works.

I think it is fairly obvious that Isle of Kandril and We Be Goblins were both entered into RW by people who have not used RW very much or at the very least have very different ideas on how content will be organized from most people who have shared their content.
I haven't looked at Isle of Kandril that closely, but We Be Goblins seems perfectly serviceable to me. I would expect that the RW development team at least reviewed the material as well as give instructions on how the material should be entered, so to say it was was entered by people who have not used RW very much seems unlikely.

How should it be organized differently? I don't have the print version and even though I've stated in another thread that I would generally want to have a book or PDF to read over material, I found that for a smaller module like WBG it was easy to read it over and understand how to run it.

I guess I just had a very different first impression. I really liked it and it made me much more bullish about the Content Market.

Not that I expect anyone to spend their time doing this, but it would be interesting to see WBG content entered by someone else to compare approaches.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 23rd, 2017, 10:30 AM
That map Galmyr couldn't find to start with should have been in the Marsh topic or somewhere else really obvious not half way down the storyline.

Second I would have created NPC topics for the chief and his minion rather than simply making them alternate names of a scene and having a bunch of links point to that scene when they really point to those NPC's. I might have even created a topic for the exiled goblin wizard that found the fireworks in the first place.

In my PoV stub topics give you something to build on if you want or need to and in this showcases where the scenario could be expanded.

Compare to Pixies where, I think, all the characters get their own topic and the town could easily be expanded into a party's home base for some early adventures.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:07 PM
I was expecting the free content to set the standard for organizing modules. That is why I was disappointed that someone had to even ask the question where a map was located. Well-presented material shouldn't leave that level of confusion. I haven't had time though to look at it myself (I have been looking at Kandril and, so far, have few complaints there [so far the dragon that the magic item is based upon should have a topic but does not]).
Bidmaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote