Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

kbs666

Old March 16th, 2018, 10:53 AM
One thing I truly do not get, streaming D&D. People want to watch other people play RPG's? I'll watch a stream of someone playing a video game for a little while but an RPG session tends to run 4 hours minimum.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 16th, 2018, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
One thing I truly do not get, streaming D&D. People want to watch other people play RPG's?
Yeah, it's not my thing either. I tried with Critical Role once upon a time and couldn't even just leave it on in the background.

I wonde how many of those D&D followers even semi-regularly watch other D&D streamers?

Last edited by Parody; March 16th, 2018 at 12:14 PM.
Parody is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 16th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Ditto to that perspective and that's even knowing some of the players!! I have never been a passive observer in most things I do... Rather play golf than watch it, play D&D than Watch etc...

Now streaming "how to" stuff, I'm a binge watcher... hehe Various youtube videos here, Mel the Terrain tutor, Table Top Minions w/ Adam... etc for my addictive D&D hobby...
And real world stuff when I'm working with the neighbor on blacksmithing or wood crafts....

@ Gord> Thanks for the info! that's where the front line is!!! Road meets the Rubber stuff....

And yea I don't get the whole card thing... my kids all went through that with the "this card worth that" and this worth thus if its a "Gold border"... insert roll eyes here.... to me it's only worth that if you have a buyer otherwise its cardboard and akin to Beenie baby collecting.... to each his own I guess.

@ Rone> now thats funny

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 16th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I struggle to watch the streams myself. I get distracted prepping my own games. I do really. Recommend Harmonquest though but that's more to do with them getting a cartoonist to draw every game.

https://youtu.be/ggDOnYKaAb4

It's going to be a huge medium for the new generation though. Kids today are watching YouTube in place of TV. My daughter loves watching this ditzy teenager opening toys and play with them. I don't get it but it's absolutely a thing now.

I'm in the same camp that the videos are tools first for education. Still much prefer to watch a movie and rely on YouTube for mapping tutorials etc.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old March 17th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
One thing I truly do not get, streaming D&D. People want to watch other people play RPG's? I'll watch a stream of someone playing a video game for a little while but an RPG session tends to run 4 hours minimum.
Some people watch to see how a game is run to learn the system or get tips for running the same adventure, but I also don't get why people just watch. You even now have "professional" GMs & Players who are just streamers that charge people to play or contribute like "donate some money" ad you can name the tavern in our town. Don't get that at all and wast of money IMHO.

I tried watching a stream run by one of these popular professional that was running a module i had just got for savage worlds and i wanted to get some tips on running it and on that savage worlds setting. GMs didn't know the setting rules of the game that well and did a poor job with the module. (Gave away a major plot element away right away with no build up. So a big surprise had no impact that it was intended to in the module.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 17th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I knew a professional GM that would come to your site and run a module/AP of your choosing for your group. He made a real production of it with Dwarven Forge and Syrinscape. It was never clear to me if he actually got enough bookings to make a living though.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 23rd, 2018, 08:43 AM
What a great conversation you all are having! My apologies it's taken me so long to wade through it. I've been working half days most of this week so I could welcome my new grandson into the world. I can really relate to the kids and cards woes. We have countless cards floating around the house from Pokemon to Magic. Seems like most game stores have to have the card tournaments to be able to keep their doors open, though. So I'm glad they have that revenue.

We are currently discussing how we will proceed with 2.0, but we have to review the material before we can make any decisions as to when we will support it. We have to finish up our prior RW commitments before tackling another new system. Once I have something more solid to share, I'll certainly share it, but at the moment it means very little for Realm Works.
BJ is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 23rd, 2018, 10:54 AM
Congratulations.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 23rd, 2018, 12:58 PM
Damn cute kid too. Congratulations Nanna

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old March 24th, 2018, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ View Post
I've been working half days most of this week so I could welcome my new grandson into the world.
Congratulations and all my best wishes!

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #60 Reply With Quote