Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

TobyFox2002

Old June 28th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I have been a little confused about two new buttons that have shown up on the editor. I've looked around but cant find any information about what they are for.

There is an "Auto-Add" and "Gear" button. What exactly do they do, and is there an example of their use in a .user file that I could look at. (That's how I learn, examples.)
TobyFox2002 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 29th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyFox2002 View Post
There is an "Auto-Add" and "Gear" button. What exactly do they do, and is there an example of their use in a .user file that I could look at. (That's how I learn, examples.)
Do you mean "auto-add" and "Gizmo" buttons? If so this was the HL 5.2b update added these now to every Thing in the editor.

From the HL readme:
1. Added support for “autoadds”, which allow adding of multiple things when the user adds a single thing to the hero.
2. In the editor, the forms for editing scripts now size themselves more sensibly to avoid showing large blank spaces when there’s only enough space to show half of a script.
3. You can now use “foreach gear in <pick>” to iterate through the items held by a container.
4. Assigning thing.holder and related tags at runtime was not flagging a thing as a holder.
5. Encoded text in user text fields is now displayed properly in statblock output.
6. Tags from the “usesource” group are now present on things and picks to indicate which sources they belong to.
7. Encoded text now supports {super}{/super} to turn superscript on and off.

Honestly I don't know what "auto-add" does nor have I found anything even in Pathfinder yet using it so no clue at the moment.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old June 29th, 2014, 09:53 AM
1. Maybe we could get an example from the staff (Pretty Please), they wouldn't have added it unless they knew what they were going to use it for.

3. Does that mean someone can have a piece of "gear" reference a different piece of gear? I'm not sure exactly what this means. I haven't a clue what this one means. (the technical terms kinda make my head spin.) Pick, container etc. I just code more or less by what I find works. I know pick is sorta the individual choices in a drop down and I think container is current level that you are working on in the hierarchy of the program.

7. Awsome.. perhaps I should go through some of the files and add it, that might be helpful..
TobyFox2002 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 29th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Auto-adds were added for one of the new M&M books that's still in progress. We haven't had time to make use of it yet.
Mathias is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
TobyFox2002

Old June 29th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Thank you, very much appreciated.
TobyFox2002 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 29th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Quote:
3. Does that mean someone can have a piece of "gear" reference a different piece of gear?
I am pretty sure this means that we can loop through all the items that are inside say a bag of holding. Or at least that is my take from the comment.

Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what this means. I haven't a clue what this one means. (the technical terms kinda make my head spin.) Pick, container etc.
Thing represents a very generic term for something that exists in the XML files (ie user files) of HL. So the feat "Dodge" when not on your character is a "Thing". Things are not live and so their scripts do not run. You can also not change the tags/values on a "Thing" from a script. It must be done using the editor.

Pick is something that has been added to your character. So the Dodge feat when displayed in the list of feats to select is a Thing and when you add it to your character (ie Pick it) it becomes a "pick" on your character and is now live and its scripts will run. You can freely change the tags/values on a "pick" from a script running on itself or from another "pick".

Containers are Things or Picks that are able to contain other Things/Picks. So in example if you make a new +1 Longsword for your character the container is the iMagWeapon. The longsword is a pick that is inside the container iMagWeapon.

Hope that helps some.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:22 PM
The Auto Adds are also what will allow the purchasing of Kits to work if I understand correctly, but I have yet to really look into them. Hollis is the expert on them at the moment, since he does the M&M stuff.
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote