Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

ruhar

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Does this mean you think we should do away with the distinction of story and world almanac for players? It would sacrifice usefulness and keeping things simpler for players in the interest of safeguarding against this one rather rare exceptional case.

If it were MY game, I'd simply tell my players: "Oops. I completely overlooked that. Thanks for flagging it." Then I'd move the topic to the world almanac and make a mental note not to move it back until I launched the surprise return. I know that I could sell that easily to my group. And then I wouldn't have to lose the separation of story and world for the players. But that's just one opinion.

What do you folks all think???
I'm currently not using the world almanac so I didn't initially had any thoughts on this. But as I read through the responses I started thinking of the future of a game. In the future game the story is going to change from the present game. The vampire clan the PCs are currently tracking will have been dealt with in the future and the PCs will be tracking the lich queen. For simplicity sake in the future everything that pertains to just the vampire clan could be moved to the world almanac while everything pertaining to the lich queen could stay in the story almanac. The GM has to be careful about where the vampire lord, who, unbeknownst to the PCs, managed to survive the attack and is hunting the PCs, is located in RW and the reveal state. But GMs are required to think on their feet so if the vampire lord pops out too soon I'm sure the GM will quickly think of an excuse. So I say we keep the world almanac in the player version.
ruhar is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Good discussion. I can see the story/world being quite useful for modules or linear adventures. Whereas long term campaigns and sandboxes almost necessitate everything always being in play. Sounds like we need some way to toggle it per campaign....
AEIOU is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 11th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am not sure I agree. When I explained Story vs World to my players who have the Player Edition they seemed to like the idea. Note I only run Adventure Paths. So I explained it to the players as the World contained everything they have done in the past few chapters of the AP and the Story contains the info from the current chapter.

From the point of view of a Paizo AP this separation is very nice as relevant info about the current chapter is in Story and other info is in World. This helps keep players focused on current story. I am of the school that it is very easy to overwhelm players with information so making them focus on a small sub-set of data is WAY better.
Good response, and I agree with this, not from AP but from my own campaign.

Even for us who build our own worlds, having a distinction of what is the "current adventure" and what has transpired before is huge. Think of it this way, every world has lore, and it is important as players learn the lore to understand its place in the world, or their story.

So lets take the following example:

Players are working through the "Lord of Fire" story line adventure where their actions bring about the meeting between them and the Red Dragon ruling over northern mountain range. So as part of this they happen to be investigating old ruins and discover a small library of books and scrolls with some that have survived the ages. A player(s) actually state when they get "home" they will read the found books and scrolls. Now most of it is just world lore and back story, nothing to do with the current adventure.

So for me as GM, I would have this information in the World not the story, and will want to reveal it this way. This keeps the information from getting in the way so to speak.

Also from my perspective of creating my own living game world, for the first time I will use this campaign world for the rest of my years as GM. RW allows me to use the previous Campaign info as "world" and again new parties current adventure as "story". Beyond this, they may learn something cool about previous events their old characters witnessed but did not actually uncover the truth, again this info will be revealed under "world" as it does not have anything to offer them in discovering why the Hominex have suddenly begun attacking Daedrea northern settlements after hundreds of years in peace.

I think it is important to have both, as for me, there will always be a distinction on information revealed, some will be world lore (oft fore shadowing), or that which moves current story plot line forward.
Exmortis is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Bidmaron

Old September 15th, 2014, 06:10 PM
This must be configurable. Consider that the player has no way to know where the GM bins the information. Thus, if they look up something that has been moved to world, the search will simply fail. They will have no idea if it's because they aren't remembering and there was no 'Iskabibil' or whether they are misspelling it or what the problem is. Just because the God Uptyfratz isn't in the current AP doesn't mean the player(s) shouldn't be able to remind themselves just what the core beliefs are for this God (assuming they should know about the God). The GM has enough to worry about without wondering which topics the players might want to know about in a given AP and then move them into the Story topic.
There are good arguments to the contrary. In keeping with the design philosophy, this should be GM configurable.

Plus, think about the meta-gaming aspect. "Ah, I can't find the information on the Warrior King. Guess the Warrior King won't be in this AP!"
Bidmaron is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old September 15th, 2014, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
Good discussion. I can see the story/world being quite useful for modules or linear adventures. Whereas long term campaigns and sandboxes almost necessitate everything always being in play. Sounds like we need some way to toggle it per campaign....
Why do we need to toggle it? If you're not using the World Almanac the players wouldn't find anything in it so there's no need to toggle it off.
ruhar is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 16th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Sorry for not being clear. As a GM, I will definitely be using both the Story and World Almanac to keep current information easily available and to organize gameplay. I need both Story and World. However, I'd like my players to view the information as if everything is in play and that they can view anything that has been revealed.

That said, I totally see where ShadowChermosh and others that want the players to also have the Story/World views. And I agree. Their points make perfect sense and would be helpful for keeping players focused.

I'd like to be able to toggle whether players have separate Story/World or combined Story/World. That way we can have "see everything" as the norm and I can very specifically choose things for Story when I need them to pay attention to a subset of the data.
AEIOU is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
I'd like to be able to toggle whether players have separate Story/World or combined Story/World. That way we can have "see everything" as the norm and I can very specifically choose things for Story when I need them to pay attention to a subset of the data.
Is this what you're wanting? On your computer Topic A, C, D are under Story and Topic B is under World. When the toggle button is switched to Both the players see it like you see it and described above. When the toggle button is switched to Story then Topic A, B, C, and D are seen by the players under Story. Is that correct?

I don't know anything about programing, but if I'm understanding you correctly and that is what you're wanting I would think that would be a nightmare to program.
ruhar is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old September 16th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhar View Post
I don't know anything about programing, but if I'm understanding you correctly and that is what you're wanting I would think that would be a nightmare to program.
I'm not about to stuff any "this is easy" Rob's way, but given how there's basically a flag on each topic that says story or world and when you view that it shows the topics that match, it might not be a nightmare.

I was wondering earlier if instead of the story/world buttons being one or the other, it was a pressed/unpressed state that would include that content in the current visualization. so, if you have story pressed it shows only story. press world and the UI refreshes to include both story and world. unpress world and it pops back to only showing story. Search would include whatever it is you have visualized at the time.

dunno, just how I would think of doing it. I can see where having only part available at a time would be great, and I can see where combining it all at times would be great too.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 18th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyofdragons View Post
I was wondering earlier if instead of the story/world buttons being one or the other, it was a pressed/unpressed state that would include that content in the current visualization. so, if you have story pressed it shows only story. press world and the UI refreshes to include both story and world. unpress world and it pops back to only showing story. Search would include whatever it is you have visualized at the time.
I believe this would be relatively easy and I've been considering it for some time. However, there are some bigger fish for us to fry right now. I'm also lurking and watching this thread to see others' ideas about what they'd like to see.
Joe is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old September 18th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Joe, since you're lurking I have a question for you or anyone else who might know. Initially I thought player edition would show what the GM revealed at the time something was revealed. Now I've heard that it's more a reference for players to review what has been revealed in past sessions. In order to see what has been revealed in a current session the GM has to sync the realm. Obviously not a quick task for a large realm nor would everyone want to take time out with each reveal to do a sync.

Is there any plan to have the player edition do live reveals? Or will GMs have to invest in a projector/second monitor or rotate their monitor for the players to see? The reason I ask is because I bought a small projector only to realize that the room we play in doesn't really have room for screen/projector or a second monitor (the room is all windows and a door with a narrow conference table and enough room to scoot chairs out
). I thought the player edition would take care of the issue but now I don't think it will.
ruhar is offline   #40 Reply With Quote