Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Dami

Old August 27th, 2018, 04:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenlor View Post
I do have a question for Rob or one of the other staff: are there currently plans to 'port' the HLC systems to HLO? Yeah, I'm one that would rather see things moved to HLO rather than to HLC.
The HLO FAQ says that eventually Classic systems will be available in Online.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #71 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 27th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arenlor View Post
I do have a question for Rob or one of the other staff: are there currently plans to 'port' the HLC systems to HLO? Yeah, I'm one that would rather see things moved to HLO rather than to HLC.
I have no official answer for you, but based on what they've said about the difficulty of porting something made for HLO to HLC, I suspect doing the reverse won't be much easier. Then again, it might be as easy as writing a script to convert it. We'll probably know more when they put out a version of the Authoring Kit.
Duggan is offline   #72 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old August 27th, 2018, 09:47 PM
It may be as simple as converting the work they have already done to the new app and crediting the user for the licenses he already has from the Classic program. The real work is making the systems (3.5, PF1, M&M, etc) for the online app and setting them up to calculate and work as intended.

My guess is that PF1 will get converted at some point, but some of the other non-supported (no longer published), such as past editions of a game, will be left on the classic program.
thaX is offline   #73 Reply With Quote
llothos

Old August 30th, 2018, 08:59 AM
I for one don't see an issue with a nominal fee for hlo considering this fee is the price of a coffee. if they had decided to charge $5 or$10 a month then I would be less inclined to agree with the subscription model. I will, however, not be buying this until it supports one of my game systems or my group agrees to try out starfinder (I own it but players aren't interested).

as for Rob's health issues being made public, it was absolutely none of our business but on the other hand some context as to why development slowed gives us some insight for the progress. some people may have seen this as an excuse while others will be sympathetic and understand and to some extent appreciate the transparency provided to us.
llothos is offline   #74 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 31st, 2018, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
It could still be offered as a cloud linked service, for the subscription fee - "A hybrid Approach" we'll call it - I just don't like tying anyone to the online only model - And neither did Rob 6 years ago when I first asked about this:
It totally makes sense to make technology decisions based on the state of technology six years go. I wonder why more companies don't do this.
EightBitz is offline   #75 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old August 31st, 2018, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
I have no official answer for you, but based on what they've said about the difficulty of porting something made for HLO to HLC, I suspect doing the reverse won't be much easier. Then again, it might be as easy as writing a script to convert it. We'll probably know more when they put out a version of the Authoring Kit.
It absolutely will be easier. HLO is being built with all the features and functionality of HLC, plus more. Moving content from HLO to HLC will require either building that extra functionality into HLC or downgrading the HLC dataset to make the square peg fit in the round hole.

Going from HLC to HLO will be like moving all your stuff into a larger house/apartment. You won't have to get rid of any of your stuff, because it'll all still fit.

Going from HLO to HLC will be like moving all your stuff from a larger house/apartment into a smaller one. You'll have to get rid of things that won't fit, and maybe buy a smaller bed.
EightBitz is offline   #76 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old September 1st, 2018, 06:50 AM
For me, there are some things yet that HLO simply can not do, and it will be some time before it would be able to do it.

Is it too much to ask for a viewer for offline use? Even one that just shows the basic character would be enough. This would, of course, involve actually being able to save the character on one's own computer and using the save file to view that character.

Internet is not a guarantee at places where we play, like most conventions and even a store that does not offer Wi Fi.
thaX is offline   #77 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old September 1st, 2018, 07:08 AM
I find HLO very good for designing characters for creating PF2 characters. But I play and DM a lot of my games from my laptop with no internet connectivity. This makes it unuseful in those situations.
I also hope they add a Save to .pdf feature. I tebd to use Firefox, and printing character sheets using 2 browsers is a pain.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #78 Reply With Quote
jlong05
Volunteer Data File Author

Send a message via MSN to jlong05

Old September 1st, 2018, 07:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
Is it too much to ask for a viewer for offline use? Even one that just shows the basic character would be enough. This would, of course, involve actually being able to save the character on one's own computer and using the save file to view that character.
You mean like a print to PDF? its already there. Or do you mean something more robust that can still roll dice, check rules, etc... As discussed this latter option isn't feasible due to the complexity of the tools at this time.

The only "hobby" GW is interested in is lining their pockets with your money.
jlong05 is offline   #79 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old September 1st, 2018, 07:11 AM
That's why I'd like a Save to pdf instead of print to pdf. Then I only need 1 browser; Firefox.

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #80 Reply With Quote