Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

winterstew

Old November 15th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Is there a way to trigger an external process with arguments from Hero Lab? Alternatively sending an HTTP GET or POST to a custom URL while passing selected arguments.

I use a simple virtual table top system I put together displayed on my TV as our game board, and I would like to have a Condition change to a hero in Hero Lab be reflected in my VTT. I can write either a Python script to send a SQL statement to my database server or an HTTP GET/POST to my web server to accomplish this; however I would need Hero Lab to trigger the action and pass some simple data like some sort of HeroID and the Condition(s) with selection state.

Is something like this possible? I am sure it would be possible as a Custom Output of the whole portfolio, but that seems a bit much. I wouldn't want to have to output the whole portfolio every time a goblin dies, or a PC get nauseated. I just want a command to be issued when a condition changes. I have just purchased and started using Hero Lab so I am very novice. I have read through the manual and parts of the authoring kit Wiki, but I could not tell if this is possible.
winterstew is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
winterstew

Old December 21st, 2016, 01:01 AM
I was able to write a procedure (called from each Condition) to modify the pChkName.
It pulls a mapId (as stored in state.value[mapId] via a Mechanic), the heroname, and the condition then concatenates them into a custom URL. This is used to then wrap the pChkName with the {url} modifier. So now every time I click on a condition, it toggles the flag on my virtual table top.
winterstew is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old December 24th, 2016, 10:06 AM
would you mind sharing the code? I did even know this was possible?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
winterstew

Old December 28th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Here is my .user file with my code.

If whatever VTT you are using supports a method to change conditions directly via URL HTTP GET you should be able to make this work with some changes in the LinkCkName procedure. I use my own (DragonberryPi) which runs on a raspberry pi server on my LAN.

The most kludgey part of this is that I have to define the mapID in the .user file so I have to change it and re-compile anytime I change maps.

If anyone knows of a way to add a portfolio global (Like the publisher id) which I can set in the main window, save with the portfolio, and access from the procedure, let me know. I would like to be able to save mapIDs with the portfolios
Attached Files
File Type: email winterstew_conditions.user (48.6 KB, 3 views)
winterstew is offline   #4 Reply With Quote