Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 19th, 2017, 06:24 PM
Hey folks,

GenCon is crazy busy this year, but I wanted to take a moment to fill everybody in on an important announcement we made today and to answer two big questions that have been raised.

Let's start with the latter. The purchase model for Hero Lab Online will not be changing in any substantive way. Users will still purchase game systems and data package add-ons on a one-time basis, just like they do now. The only difference will be a low-cost, annual "subscription" fee to keep the servers running. That fee should be in the roughly $2/month range, and it will be the same price regardless of how much content you've purchased via the one-time model. The initial purchase of HLOnline will include a core game system of choice (just like the desktop today), plus 6 months of server access.

After Starfinder is solid and stable, we'll begin bringing the game systems from the desktop product to HLOnline. When that occurs, desktop users will have the OPTION to migrate over to HLOnline. Migration will incur a nominal, flat charge, which we anticipate will be in the $20 range. This amount will be the same, regardless of how many game systems and add-ons the user may own. It will also include 6 months of server access, which will represent a roughly $12 value. So the actual migration cost should be less than $10. And it's entirely optional. Users who wish to continue using the desktop product are free to do so.

And now for the important, new announcement...

In late September, we'll be launching Hero Lab Online for Starfinder as an Open Beta. We'll start out with a limited number of users and then increase that number in the weeks that follow. Character creation should be complete at launch, but starship creation and certain other features may not be fully in place at that time. As is customary with an Open Beta, everyone that participates will need to purchase the product to continue using it once the Beta period concludes.

Sign-ups for participation in the Open Beta will begin at some point in September. Stay tuned for complete details. They will be posted prior to the sign-up period and will appear in our newsletter, on our support forums, and across our social media feeds.

NOTE! I hope I've addressed some of the key questions being raised. Feel free to ask further questions. However, please do not expect any replies until after we get home from GenCon and get our legs bag under us, as we are up to our eyeballs right now with the show. We'll do our best to get you answers later this coming week.

Thanks for your patience and support!

-Rob
rob is offline   #1
daplunk

Old August 19th, 2017, 06:30 PM
I think the big question many of us want to know is will this be an online only service? Is an active internet connection required to use it or will there be offline accessibility?

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #2
Tekwych

Old August 19th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Also cross platform support. Realm Works could be a great product but with no ability for it to be run natively on a Mac I will never know.
Tekwych is offline   #3
AJC

Old August 19th, 2017, 08:28 PM
Thanks Rob, a few questions:

What are the benefits of the online product vs the current desktop offering?

Will there continue to be a client installed on my device, or will the online offering be browser-based?

Will data files continue to be developed for both desktop and online products?

Will the desktop product continue to be developed?

Will Starfinder be available to the current desktop product?
AJC is offline   #4
EightBitz

Old August 19th, 2017, 09:17 PM
And if I switch to HLO, but later change my mind about paying the $2/mo, would I still have access to use HL locally?
EightBitz is offline   #5
NeoEvaX

Old August 19th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Currently, with the installed Hero Lab, I have 5 licenses. Enough to share with my players and myself while playing at the table.

How will these multiple licenses work with HLO? Will it be 5 concurrent logins? So it wont matter what computer its being loaded on? Just how many can connect at one time? Or has the additional licenses option gone away.. or another answer I can not foresee.

Cant wait to try out the Open beta! From what I could tell, it looks amazing.
NeoEvaX is offline   #6
daplunk

Old August 19th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Can you confirm it will be possible to print a whole character sheet with 1 print job

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #7
Farling

Old August 20th, 2017, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
After Starfinder is solid and stable, we'll begin bringing the game systems from the desktop product to HLOnline. When that occurs, desktop users will have the OPTION to migrate over to HLOnline. Migration will incur a nominal, flat charge, which we anticipate will be in the $20 range. This amount will be the same, regardless of how many game systems and add-ons the user may own. It will also include 6 months of server access, which will represent a roughly $12 value. So the actual migration cost should be less than $10. And it's entirely optional. Users who wish to continue using the desktop product are free to do so.
Is this migration a one-way action, or will those who migrate still be able to use the desktop tool as well as the web app?

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #8
UttiniDaKilrJawa

Old August 20th, 2017, 12:04 PM
So, if I understand this correctly. We will still be buying game systems and addon "books" as we have done in the past with Hero Lab. Then on top of those purchases we will have to pay about 24 dollars a year to use Hero Lab Online?

Also, what kind of offline usage possibilities are there going to be with the new HLO system.

Lastly, you mention a migration / transfer system for Hero Lab desktop users. When a user completes this migration / transfer will they still be able to use Hero Lab on their desktop with all of their currently owned content along with having this content on Hero Lab Online or will all of their currently owned and transferred content be only usable on Hero Lab Online.
UttiniDaKilrJawa is offline   #9
TRO1984

Old August 20th, 2017, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UttiniDaKilrJawa View Post
So, if I understand this correctly. We will still be buying game systems and addon "books" as we have done in the past with Hero Lab. Then on top of those purchases we will have to pay about 24 dollars a year to use Hero Lab Online?
To piggyback on this, will there be a discount for paying for extended periods at a time?
TRO1984 is offline   #10
Closed Thread