Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mirtos

Old August 27th, 2014, 07:58 AM
personally, ive been waiting a LONG time for them to have better light abilities. I find all of that much more useful than the spells/hit point tracking/effects/etc.

Part of the reason i still use MapTools.

Vision and Vision Blocking Layers are such a very nice thing to do.
mirtos is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Vornmusion

Old August 28th, 2014, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirtos View Post
Part of the reason i still use MapTools.

Vision and Vision Blocking Layers are such a very nice thing to do.
Admittedly the blocking layers are far superior to the current d20Pro method, however, you can achieve the same effect to a lesser degree by using 1x1 tiles of FoW. You can emulate the vision blocking using them, although it takes a lot of time placing each block manually (which the update coming for d20Pro Legacy will return the ability to flood the map with the 1x1 squares, thankfully). You must of course manually reveal the map still, as without any sight mechanics the player tokens would need to enter the square to reveal itself (if you allowed players to automatically reveal entered FoW areas). I'll show you an example of what I mean from one of my placeholder maps:

It's a bit of work (more so now, since you can't flood the map) and unfortunately you can't have individual FoW which can be a real killer. I found it the necessary evil though. d20Pro takes care of too much busy work for me to disregard it because it lacks visual fluff, even if I very much like dynamic lighting and line-of-sight for the atmosphere. Once you've had a 51 round combat in 3 minutes it's difficult to go back.

My biggest catch for d20Pro Unlimited was that it had to have dynamic lightning, nothing less would convince me to upgrade. Luckily that has been answered and I would say that mechanically, if not visually, it surpasses the current VTT standard of Roll20's lighting engine.
Vornmusion is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 28th, 2014, 11:52 AM
all your images are blocked. i will look when i get home.

but i tend to need the moving around the building, i like light sources, and the like. It makes me use them as a DM when i used to ignore things like low light vision, etc, in the past.

That being said, I will check it out again when the ultimate comes out (dynamic lighting).
mirtos is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old August 28th, 2014, 01:43 PM
It's interesting that dynamic lighting is something we all absolutely must have in our VTT's now; whereas through the history of gaming, we've never had anything like it for most of our games. Mini's at the table or on a monitor are lovely and functional, but they've required that we actively try not to metagame. Dynamic lighting makes metagaming a non-issue and creates a very different environment of uncertainty and even fear. I'm hoping not having to think about what you can't see will free our brains up to focus on more RP but we'll see....
AEIOU is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
mirtos

Old August 28th, 2014, 01:58 PM
It was the primary reason i got a VTT. If I had seen a different VTT first, i probably wouldnt like them.

To be honest, thats why i like VTTs. I still play around the table, but it makes it easier for players to not metagame. my players are all very good at not metagaming, but everything that makes it easier for them to suspend their disbelief is better.

Without VTT
"I have a torch. Do I see that ogre there?"
(after calculating torch, low light vision, etc....) "ummm....Yes".

With VTT with each player seeing what they know immediately what they see and what they dont, and its not something I have to figure out.

I suppose the reason I use a VTT isnt for the "tabletop" functions for improving combat, but for improved mapping to speed that aspect along and make it easier for players to get involved in the world.

but everyone has their own needs, i suppose.
mirtos is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 2nd, 2014, 03:18 AM
D20pro Unlimited just broke 30K funding and unlocked the URE stretch goal!!!

Next up, shadow casting at 50K, its a biggie in both funding amount aqnd how it will affect D20pro Unlimited.

They also added some nice add-ons, the content add-ons are quite discounted from market place.
Exmortis is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
Ladyofdragons

Old September 3rd, 2014, 05:19 AM
This morning's news is even better! They got a matching offer, and they've moved dynamic lighting to $40K, and unlimited campaigns to $50K.

-------------------------------------
"...You're going to backstab him with a ballista?"
Ladyofdragons is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 3rd, 2014, 06:30 AM
I asked about RW and d20Pro integration....

Me: For RW integration, the key pieces to me would be shared maps, shared player handouts and shared HL portfolios. What tidbits can you share about the Unlimited vision that would entice RW users to take the plunge and invest in the KS?

d20pro: @Steven, that's a great question. I've already had some productive early talks with Rob Bowes about first steps to integrate d20Pro Unlimited and RealmWorks.

Unlimited should be able to import creatures directly from HL portfolios; however, we need to do more research before talking definitively on how to accomplish the round trip - where Unlimited would write back changes to the creature to the HL portfolio. Another item is persisting Unlimited data in Realm Works, so it can be conjured back up later as needed.

Mesa Mundi and Lone Wolf Development will be hashing out our integration strategy over the coming months. We talk about the RPG "ecosystem" where technology can enhance any aspect of gameplay. The entire ecosystem is quite large and we feel smaller companies will band together to provide a comprehensive solution. MM and LWD have common interests and mutual respect - so while I can say exactly how it will unfold we'll be collaborating with Rob and his crew to the best of our abilities.
AEIOU is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 3rd, 2014, 03:08 PM
Interesting AEIOU,
Thanks for sharing
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old September 5th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Wow we have broke 1k supporters on the kickstart, and the shadow casting stretch goal is all but in the books as met!

oh Oh OH I hope we get the Ultmate Campaign goal, but it may be just a bit too high @50K, but one can hope.

Last edited by Exmortis; September 5th, 2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: fix typo
Exmortis is offline   #60 Reply With Quote