Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 5th, 2014, 07:51 AM
Just been inputting some things into the Mechanics Reference and I noted a few things.

1. Ctrl-Q (Create New Content Element) does not work, at least for me. This seems somewhat strange given how useful that key combo is elsewhere.

2. It would be useful and easier if you could drag and drop Item A onto Item B and have Item B be made Item A's container. (As long I suppose as there is not already a container for Item A...)

3. When you are selecting a container for an Article, you can easily create new Articles using the plus button, which makes 1 slightly less annoying to be honest.

4. If after making changes to an Article you select another without saving you will be prompted to save and the behaviour of the list of Articles is not consistent. The focus is sometimes at the top of the list, sometimes at the bottom. Same thing happens when I save before leaving the Article.

5. I've created one Article as a container for other Articles, but this group does not stay collapsed as I tell it too when I am making changes to Articles inside this container. I then have to scroll down or up to get to the Article I want. Same applies to no 4. above.

6. Best practice for inputting a long list of items would, to me, to first make sure the article is formatted how you want it. Maybe create a test article first, and if you need to change the default snippets, create a duplicate .

7. Best practice for a list of Articles that reference one another would be to create the list first, then the automatic content linking will work much better.

There might be some other things, if there are, I will post them.

This is, of course, how I see things, so just putting this out there!

Zaphod.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.

Last edited by Zaphod Beebledoc; April 5th, 2014 at 09:10 AM.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 5th, 2014, 12:37 PM
This is more of a list of issues and inconsistencies you've encountered than a feature request, so I've moved this to the main Realm Works Discussion forum where it will be dealt with more quickly.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 5th, 2014, 12:40 PM
True, fair enough.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
Just been inputting some things into the Mechanics Reference and I noted a few things.

1. Ctrl-Q (Create New Content Element) does not work, at least for me. This seems somewhat strange given how useful that key combo is elsewhere.
Logged as a bug.

Quote:
2. It would be useful and easier if you could drag and drop Item A onto Item B and have Item B be made Item A's container. (As long I suppose as there is not already a container for Item A...)
There are some additional wrinkles beyond the one you've identified here. I believe there is already a Feature Request entry for this, so you should probably +1 that entry.

Quote:
4. If after making changes to an Article you select another without saving you will be prompted to save and the behaviour of the list of Articles is not consistent. The focus is sometimes at the top of the list, sometimes at the bottom. Same thing happens when I save before leaving the Article.
This happens with topics as well and I believe has just been fixed. I double-check with the team to make sure it's also been addressed for articles.

Quote:
5. I've created one Article as a container for other Articles, but this group does not stay collapsed as I tell it too when I am making changes to Articles inside this container. I then have to scroll down or up to get to the Article I want. Same applies to no 4. above.
Logged as a bug.

Quote:
6. Best practice for inputting a long list of items would, to me, to first make sure the article is formatted how you want it. Maybe create a test article first, and if you need to change the default snippets, create a duplicate .
If you have a long list of items with a consistent structure, you're probably better off creating an entirely new category that is tailored to those items. For example, lets say you want to enter all the spells for Pathfinder. Every spell entry has a bunch of fields that should probably be tags. So the best solution would be to define a few new tag domains with all the appropriate tags, then define a new category with an appropriate structure and suitable tag-based snippets for the various fields (mapped to the proper domains), and finally create your spells based on the new category.

Quote:
7. Best practice for a list of Articles that reference one another would be to create the list first, then the automatic content linking will work much better.
The basic rule I live by - and encourage all users to live by - is to create all topics/articles the moment you discover you'll need them. In general, you know you need a new topic the moment you hit a proper noun. This is where "Quick Create" <ctrl+Q> is a lifesaver. For example, let's say you're entering a topic and encounter a proper noun. Ask yourself whether that proper noun should be a topic. If so, press <ctrl+Q>, create the topic, and then return to whatever you're doing. It only takes a moment and avoids all the hassle of going back and rescanning for links on topics.

Thanks for the bug reports, and I hope my suggestions prove helpful!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 15th, 2014, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Quote:
Logged as a bug.
To clarify, Ctrl-Q does work, but there is not the option to choose from the Mechanics Reference.

Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 15th, 2014, 01:21 AM
This appears to be terminology confusion. Topics are managed within the two different almanacs. Articles are managed within the Game Mechanics area. So you need to choose the "Article" option from the list and you'll be good to go.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 15th, 2014, 02:13 AM
Ah! (ping, light goes on above my head!)

So glad I posted that screenshot!

Thank you!

(I feel a bit daft, it's so obvious now. I think my confusion arose because I was looking for "Mechanics Reference" in the list...)

Last edited by Zaphod Beebledoc; April 15th, 2014 at 02:16 AM.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #7 Reply With Quote