Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Greylin

Old June 25th, 2016, 05:57 AM
Is there a way to (easily) create a custom spell list and to limit the domain access for clerics of different faiths?

I see that I can edit each spell and add a custom cleric class to the Spell Class; this is time intensive and also requires editing exiting PH and Spell Compendium sources. Is there another way where I can run down the list of all spells, ticking to add to the custom spell list? Or define the spell list within the class?

Similarly, is there a way to limit the Domains that are accessible to a cleric class?

As always, thanks in advance,

John / Greylin

--snip--
A further thought: if I set up the clerics as different classes (Cleric of Nuada, Cleric of Bane, etc.) - could I then set that class as a pre-requisite for the relevant Domains as a way to limit access to Domains to relevant classes? What might that code look like (or can you point me to some Things that already have that kind of pre-req code from which I could crib?)

Last edited by Greylin; June 25th, 2016 at 12:09 PM.
Greylin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 27th, 2016, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylin View Post
Is there a way to (easily) create a custom spell list and to limit the domain access for clerics of different faiths?

I see that I can edit each spell and add a custom cleric class to the Spell Class; this is time intensive and also requires editing exiting PH and Spell Compendium sources. Is there another way where I can run down the list of all spells, ticking to add to the custom spell list? Or define the spell list within the class?

Similarly, is there a way to limit the Domains that are accessible to a cleric class?

As always, thanks in advance,

John / Greylin

--snip--
A further thought: if I set up the clerics as different classes (Cleric of Nuada, Cleric of Bane, etc.) - could I then set that class as a pre-requisite for the relevant Domains as a way to limit access to Domains to relevant classes? What might that code look like (or can you point me to some Things that already have that kind of pre-req code from which I could crib?)
We are in the process of updating all of the spells in both the core and community set. There is also a new feature going in (I think) that will allow you to add tags to things within core. I'm not sure how exactly that will work, but it should make it easier to create spell lists for classes. Until then, however, modifying each spell is really the only way to do it. Classes are assigned a class of spells, and any spells with that corresponding tag are then applied to its spell list. The only "simple" way is to assign an existing spell list.

As for domains, yes you can create a pre-req but only for the domains found in the community. You might be able to modify the cCstSpExpr for the class helper thing (ie cHelpClr) to specify which domains you want. I haven't tested this, though.

Check the Divine Oracle from Complete Divine for an example script located on the Helper Class thing.

Last edited by Sendric; June 27th, 2016 at 04:33 AM.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
There is also a new feature going in (I think) that will allow you to add tags to things within core. I'm not sure how exactly that will work
This feature is in as its part of HL editor not d20. You want to go to the General->*Extend tab. Here you type in the unique ID of a spell and then the tag group and tag.

So for example lets say your spell unique id is "spDetect1". You want to give this to a class with a unique id of cHelpWiz. You would enter spDetect1 as the Thing iD and the group would be "sClass" and the Tag would be "cHelpWiz".

Overall its really easy but you have to know the correct Tag IDs and Unique IDs to make use of the Extend tab.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 27th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
This feature is in as its part of HL editor not d20. You want to go to the General->*Extend tab. Here you type in the unique ID of a spell and then the tag group and tag.

So for example lets say your spell unique id is "spDetect1". You want to give this to a class with a unique id of cHelpWiz. You would enter spDetect1 as the Thing iD and the group would be "sClass" and the Tag would be "cHelpWiz".

Overall its really easy but you have to know the correct Tag IDs and Unique IDs to make use of the Extend tab.
Ah, cool. Be nice if we could add more than one tag at a time, but I guess we can't have everything.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendric View Post
Ah, cool. Be nice if we could add more than one tag at a time, but I guess we can't have everything.
What I Found was working at the XML level was WAY easier and then you can copy/paste a bunch of times and just change the Class ID.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old June 28th, 2016, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
What I Found was working at the XML level was WAY easier and then you can copy/paste a bunch of times and just change the Class ID.
Good point. I'll have to remember that when I do that for all the core spells.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Greylin

Old June 28th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Thanks to both of you - this sounds like a potential solution. I'll have a look and come back if I have any questions.

How can I work at the XML level if I want to do a list of spells? That sounds like a potential fast and easy way to set up tailored spell lists.
Greylin is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old June 28th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylin View Post
How can I work at the XML level if I want to do a list of spells? That sounds like a potential fast and easy way to set up tailored spell lists.
User files are just XML files in plain ASCII text. Any text editor will do. But one that supports XML will make it easier like TextPad or Notepad++.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Greylin

Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:08 AM
Update and followup question:

First off, many thanks for the advice and guidance.

Custom domains is working spot-on - I used the code from Divine Oracle and tailored it for each cleric class to give them a subset of domains.

I created some simple scripts to assemble the custom spell lists for each cleric class (subset of SRD and Spell Compendium so each cleric faith has a unique 'feel'), and added them to the .user file in the *Extend section via Notepad++.

Oddly, some spells do not then appear in HL in the custom spell list. No error messages, and most oddly it doesn't appear to be a consistent problem with a source - some SRD spells are visible, some are not.

Here's a cut and paste of a few lines from the *Extend XML, with the ones in red not displaying in HL. I tried adding some of the missing ones manually in the editor *Extend tab and that didn't make them visible in the custom spell list. Any ideas what might be causing this?

--snip--
<extthing thing="sClr70012" group="sClass" tag="ClerSolona"/>
<extthing thing="sClr80011" group="sClass" tag="ClerSolona"/>
<extthing thing="spStormra8" group="sClass" tag="ClerSolona"/>
<extthing thing="spChaEyes2" group="sClass" tag="ClerSolona"/>
<extthing thing="sClr10000" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="sClr10001" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="spBlesAim1" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="sClr10003" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="sClr10004" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="sClr10005" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="sClr10006" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="spDelayDi1" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
<extthing thing="sClr10010" group="sClass" tag="ClerSelune"/>
Greylin is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old July 5th, 2016, 04:01 AM
Two things:

1) With the next release of the d20 core, many if not all of the core spells will be getting updated to fit new formats. This means that many of the thingids for these spells will be changing. The old spells will still appear in your portfolio if they are saved there prior to the next update. However, for something like this you will likely have to go back and redo many of the ids here. Not really the issue here, but I thought you should know.

2) It looks like the community set has replaced some of the core spells with it's own version. The PHB1 user file has a list of spells that replace core spells. In this case, you should use the id of the new spell. The easiest way to figure out which spell to use is probably to load up a Cleric, add the spell in question and see what's it id is by right-clicking and selecting Show Debug Tags. With the new core spells going in, this will almost certainly have to change as well. This is one of the reasons I haven't been working on classes or PrC's with unique spell lists.
Sendric is offline   #10 Reply With Quote