Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Mutants & Masterminds
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Lord

Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:52 PM
Hi all,
I have five newbe questions, please bear with me...

1. Adding attack (+self) make me choose which save to use. But no matter what, the DC is 10+rank. How do I add attack option that will enable "to hit" and then toughness save of 15+rank ?

2. Can the rules validation be made to "accept" a certain power and not show the error validation again for that specific power ?

3. Adding the "rapid attack" option to super-speed doesn’t make the power an attacking power and thus cannot be improved (it says it gets the auto-fire extra, but what level of auto-fire ? what if I want to improve it ?)

4. One can take speed/quickness powers and super-speed power (that gives speed and quickness too) than add "stacking" option and thus gain a speed/quickness power that pass the PL. the validation rules doesn’t alert against such option. The same goes for super-strength and duper-strength gained by density.

5. Is there an option to show only one score at the main page if someone takes the enhance trait power to improve a save (innate, permanent or whatever option there is to make it permanent) ?

thanks for the help
Lord is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Woodclaw

Old October 4th, 2010, 12:29 AM
  1. keep in mind that Hero Lab is just a way to keep track of what you do, if you want to rule that when choosing Toughness as the save it set the difficulty higher just do so
  2. using the editor you can do that, but keep in mind that the validation rules are based on the core books, if you want to modify something to fit you own HR pay attention
  3. Super-Speed is composed of 4 elements, Speed, Quickness, Improved Initiative and an Array, all the Special Alternate Power are part of that array and cost 2pp/rank, if you add Autofire to Rapid Attack you bring its cost to 3pp/rank or more and it won't fit into the array. Anyway you can alway build an Alternate Power and select it with the Special Alternate Power option from the menu
  4. Speed and Quinckness aren't PLcapped, you can buy them at any rank you want.
  5. As far as I know there isn't, since the modifier from the enhanced version are either temporary or they can be negated by a Nullify effect, while the base save can only be drained but not negated
Woodclaw is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old October 4th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodclaw View Post
  1. keep in mind that Hero Lab is just a way to keep track of what you do, if you want to rule that when choosing Toughness as the save it set the difficulty higher just do so
  2. using the editor you can do that, but keep in mind that the validation rules are based on the core books, if you want to modify something to fit you own HR pay attention
  3. Super-Speed is composed of 4 elements, Speed, Quickness, Improved Initiative and an Array, all the Special Alternate Power are part of that array and cost 2pp/rank, if you add Autofire to Rapid Attack you bring its cost to 3pp/rank or more and it won't fit into the array. Anyway you can alway build an Alternate Power and select it with the Special Alternate Power option from the menu
  4. Speed and Quinckness aren't PLcapped, you can buy them at any rank you want.
  5. As far as I know there isn't, since the modifier from the enhanced version are either temporary or they can be negated by a Nullify effect, while the base save can only be drained but not negated
first, thanks for the quick reply.

I get answers 1-3. thanks.

as for question 4. is there a place where I can read what powers are PLed and what powers are not ? as a newbe, I understood that all powers are capped at PL.

the last question, well, I mentioned that I made the power innate and permanent. it is basically the same as adding to the main save trait (there is role play reason for it being a power). I noticed that if you enhance ability as innate and permanet, the ability (STR, DEX, CON...) has only one value. I just wondered why is it not the same with enhancing the saves.

thanks again
Lord is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 4th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
as for question 4. is there a place where I can read what powers are PLed and what powers are not ? as a newbe, I understood that all powers are capped at PL.
Any power which forces a save or an opposed roll is limited to PL. That includes powers like Trip that involve an opposed stability roll, or Create Object that allow for an area attack. Steve Kenson weighed in, saying that he'd allow ranks of telekinesis past the maximum to allow for heavier lifting but capping the tripping part of it to PL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
the last question, well, I mentioned that I made the power innate and permanent. it is basically the same as adding to the main save trait (there is role play reason for it being a power). I noticed that if you enhance ability as innate and permanet, the ability (STR, DEX, CON...) has only one value. I just wondered why is it not the same with enhancing the saves.
I can't say why the saves would be treated differently. I will note that making an Enhanced Ability Permanent is a mild no-no because it gives you points back even though there's no real issue with a Permanent attribute.

For Innate and Permanent, I usually just add them to my abilities and make note that the ability scores do come from elsewhere. The idea behind Innate is that the power really is "all natural" and therefore cannot be turned off or modified on the fly, even more so with Permanent, so it being a power really does just come down to a descriptor.
Duggan is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Lord

Old October 4th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
Any power which forces a save or an opposed roll is limited to PL. That includes powers like Trip that involve an opposed stability roll, or Create Object that allow for an area attack. Steve Kenson weighed in, saying that he'd allow ranks of telekinesis past the maximum to allow for heavier lifting but capping the tripping part of it to PL.

I can't say why the saves would be treated differently. I will note that making an Enhanced Ability Permanent is a mild no-no because it gives you points back even though there's no real issue with a Permanent attribute.

For Innate and Permanent, I usually just add them to my abilities and make note that the ability scores do come from elsewhere. The idea behind Innate is that the power really is "all natural" and therefore cannot be turned off or modified on the fly, even more so with Permanent, so it being a power really does just come down to a descriptor.
I agree that you could just add the bonus on the main page, yet, enhance ability gives a single score while enhance trait (save) doesnt. I wondered why.

thanks again for the quick replies.
Lord is offline   #5 Reply With Quote