Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Call of Cthulhu

Notices

tooley1chris

Old February 24th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I've already purchased liscence for CoC but would, right now, pay for a seperate BRP liscence, if it's really done completely. With the CoC system complete, seems this would be easy money for the wolf pack.
tooley1chris is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
tooley1chris

Old November 14th, 2013, 07:12 AM
Just a little bump to show interest. It's amazing how much Pathfinder stuff has been incorporated and I've bought some of it myself. How about a little BRP /Magic World love?
tooley1chris is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 2nd, 2014, 07:16 AM
Admittedly LWD has to go where the money is, and right now there's a lot more money in Pathfinder than there is in BRP. That makes it no less frustrating, even as someone who's just discovering BRP and has not been waiting for a dataset with bated breath for four years.

One complicating factor is Mongoose opening up the system, because there are now at least eight games, many competing directly, that use the exact same core mechanic as CoC/BRP. The new version of Runequest, the sixth official edition from the fourth different publisher, is just one example. The Cakebread and Walton Renaissance/Clockwork & Chivalry line is another. (Yes, the name of the company is Cakebread and Walton. Those are the names of the proprietors.) It would be a herculean task to build a form that supports even a good fraction of those games, and the licensing would be murder.

But that only goes to show it's become a big, big world out there.

LWD is a business. If they want to stay in business, be profitable, and continue to feed themselves, they have to "go where the money is". That makes things no less frustrating for supporters of niche systems.
MPHopcroft is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old February 2nd, 2014, 11:21 AM
Well, yeah, you'd have to decide how to scope it. Doing the BGB wouldn't be too hard since the mechanics in that game aren't really integrated. But, this would have to be a community effort since the subset of brp players who would also use Hero Lab would be small.

RQ6 might be a better commercial bet, but again, not sure how many RQ6 players are also Hero Lab users...beside me.
Kairos is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
gloranphile

Old February 20th, 2014, 09:06 AM
I'm an RQ6 player and would LOVE to get Hero Lab for it.
gloranphile is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Send a message via AIM to MPHopcroft Send a message via MSN to MPHopcroft Send a message via Yahoo to MPHopcroft

Old February 21st, 2014, 04:34 PM
RQ6 is one of about right different games that use OGL variations of the BRP/D100 system. That in itself might be enough to scare off a publisher -- with so many different variations, that would be a lot of switchable options you would need. Like Combat Styles for RQ6 that do not match the way combat skills work in other BRP games.

LWD will also have to make a decision when CoC 7th edition is released later this year, which shifts from the normal 3-18 to percentile stats. Is it worth their trouble to release a 7th Edition set?
MPHopcroft is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
tooley1chris

Old March 11th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Is it worth their time to back the customers who already paid for the license because of their hope for continued support? Was that the question? Yikes.
I wonder how much of Pathfinder is updated ONLY because of new datasets the wolfpack is SELLING the customers....That's not support. That's the carrot and stick.
tooley1chris is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
MPHopcroft

Old March 25th, 2014, 07:50 PM
I know that came out wrong, but for some reason explaining myself coherently has been an utter failure in this case. It's frustrating.
MPHopcroft is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old April 12th, 2014, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooley1chris View Post
Is it worth their time to back the customers who already paid for the license because of their hope for continued support? Was that the question? Yikes.
I wonder how much of Pathfinder is updated ONLY because of new datasets the wolfpack is SELLING the customers....That's not support. That's the carrot and stick.
You sound like me.
Dwayne is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
gamemasterbob

Old May 29th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I am a fan of BRP (latest ed). However, I like RPGs were Core characteristics effect skills and figured stats. BRP, for the most part, does not employ this unless you use the option "Skill Category Bonuses"(page 31 BRP). This would be a great small check box add-on at character creation. Yea, I know it's not as easy as it sounds, BUT its easier than a full blown BRP set. What does the forum think?

I just realized that I posted the same suggestion about a year ago. Sorry...

Last edited by gamemasterbob; May 29th, 2014 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Stated in the body of the post.
gamemasterbob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote