Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Dami

Old September 19th, 2015, 08:53 PM
1. How do I remove/cancel a special ability granted by a type/subtype?
I have a Tannar'ri (Palrethee demon, MM2) which does not get the usual Tanar'ri resistance to cold attacks. Having added the Tanar'ri subtype, how do I remove or block the "Damage Resist Cold" from the Special Abilities list?
I've searched the forum, but haven't turned up anything that will help.

2. I have two creatures coded (Harpoon Spider & Mezzoloth, MM3) where HL has calculated its main attack damage based on STR bonus x1.5, not x1.
For the spider it makes sense (to me) that this is the right calculation, even though the MM3 differs. The Mezzoloth uses a trident one-handed with a shield, or can make 2 claw attacks. (No multi-attack) I have the claw attacks set as primary and the claw attack/damage works correctly when trident is selected/deselected as weapon, but I can't work out why the weapon damage is different. Any ideas?

Thanks and regards!
Dami is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 21st, 2015, 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
1. How do I remove/cancel a special ability granted by a type/subtype?
I have a Tannar'ri (Palrethee demon, MM2) which does not get the usual Tanar'ri resistance to cold attacks. Having added the Tanar'ri subtype, how do I remove or block the "Damage Resist Cold" from the Special Abilities list?
I've searched the forum, but haven't turned up anything that will help.
There's a couple different things you can do.

1) You can assign the tag Helper.SpecUp to the special through a script. ie:
perform hero.childfound[xDamRsCold].assign[Helper.SpecUp]
2) Or you can assign 0 to the Value field. ie:
hero.childfound[xDamRsCold].field[Value].value = 0
Both options will remove it from the specials tab. I don't have a personal preference.

Quote:
2. I have two creatures coded (Harpoon Spider & Mezzoloth, MM3) where HL has calculated its main attack damage based on STR bonus x1.5, not x1.
For the spider it makes sense (to me) that this is the right calculation, even though the MM3 differs. The Mezzoloth uses a trident one-handed with a shield, or can make 2 claw attacks. (No multi-attack) I have the claw attacks set as primary and the claw attack/damage works correctly when trident is selected/deselected as weapon, but I can't work out why the weapon damage is different. Any ideas?

Thanks and regards!
Internally, HL automatically applies a STR bonus of 1.5 when a creature only has 1 natural weapon. Looks like the Harpoon Spider has 2, so this shouldn't happen. However, the weapon "fang" probably isn't set up as a natural weapon. I'll have to set that up for you.

Not sure what's happening with the Mezzoloth. I'd probably have to be able to see it.
Sendric is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old September 21st, 2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that.
The remove/block detail is great (and much simpler than I expected) and may come in handy with other things.
I'll look through the H-Spider - and change the fang to a natural weapon. That's probably the problem. I've already sent you the Mezzaloth - I'll look at that too, but you are more likely to work out what's happening.

Thanks again!
Dami is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 21st, 2015, 02:15 PM
Quote:
I'll look through the H-Spider - and change the fang to a natural weapon.
You won't be able to do that in the HL editor. You'll have to edit the file in a text editor. If you are comfortable doing so, change the compset to "NaturalWep". There may be a few other necessary changes as well, but I forget what they are. If you prefer, just send me the file and I'll change it. I'll want to move the fang weapon to another file anyway.

Last edited by Sendric; September 21st, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Sendric is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:23 AM
What does this do? -----> Helper.SpecUp

That would have been helpful for me in my early days of coding the types and subtypes for my game.

Will it work for all specials? Or just a select few?
Kendall-DM is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Sendric

Old September 25th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall-DM View Post
What does this do? -----> Helper.SpecUp

That would have been helpful for me in my early days of coding the types and subtypes for my game.

Will it work for all specials? Or just a select few?
You know when you are creating a Class Special, and you have the option of selecting "Upgrade - hide from list?"? Well, this is the tag that gets assigned to the Class Special when you select that. It removes the item from the Specials tab without removing it from the character. It works for all class specials and specials.
Sendric is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old September 28th, 2015, 07:43 AM
Ah, Special Upgrade, had no idea that would work with all Specials. Thanks!
Kendall-DM is offline   #7 Reply With Quote