Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

dballing

Old August 9th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
And then Windows 2020 comes out and HL binary is not compatable and the software is dead.

I am very sorry but counting on HACKS to keep using software is stupid. I would much rather pay LW WAY more money and keep them in business then HOPE a hack comes out to keep my software working.
It's so stupid that people are, even today, playing Atari 2600 games, Commodore 64 games, literally decades after the compatible hardware was last manufactured.

Having the ability to keep software running is infinitely better than having zero capability to keep the software running.
dballing is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
darkops

Old August 9th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblakai View Post
HLO uses sub 100k per hour for typical use according to a previous post by a LWD dev, which is quite small. Also I call BS about the bad internet at conventions. I heard about how horrible the internet access was at Gen Con, well I went there for the first time this year, never had a problem with connecting. I go to a local convention, and I do remember having internet issues there, but that was 10 years ago, haven't had any issues in the past 5 years or more. Maybe people are just remembering bad old experiences?
Thats great for you? Here is my "in the last year" snapshot:
- Large Con - Fan Expo - had internet, but it wasn't usable due to bandwidth. It also wasn't equally great reception in every room.
- Medium Con - Con Bravo - no internet in our room, yes elsewhere.
- Small Con - Gryphcon and Gryphcon Shadow - No internet (on a university campus, so you have internet if you're a student)
- Small Con - Skycon and Skycon Lite - Hotel internet with bad connectivity that was unusable (2 mins to load google with a hotel sign in page and it kicked you out every 20-30 mins on a timer).
- Gaming Store 1 - Yes, has internet.
- Gaming Store 2 - no, has no internet is a dungeon that also kills cell reception.
- Gaming Store 3 - no internet.
- Boardgame Cafe/Bar - no internet (likely to change soon though)
- My House/Friends House 1 - Yes, has internet.
- Friends House 2 - Yes internet, but is down frequently enough to impact game ~1/month.
- Friends Condo Event Room - No internet and too far away from friend's router to use his.

Now maybe you guys can stop trivializing other's experience with internet reliability/connectivity. Only 3 of 14 places that I frequent in the last year have 'reliable internet'. For my two groups and I as well as people who I meet in some of those gaming stores HLO is a huge downgrade. Now instead of live/offline modifications I have to print content (waste of paper/ink - another cost) and calculate on the fly (something I paid for HLC to do to speed up sessions and remove excessive arithmetic from play). Why would I now give out $25.00/year for the downgrade?

My first post is a clear "PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY". HLC is an awesome, amazing, efficient, user friendly piece of software. It has stripped away the less enjoyable parts of pathfinder and accentuates the more fun ones (quick PC building without the need of deep game mastery, more game immersion vs. people stuck doing math, helps out GMs with encounters creation, etc.). I want that tradition to continue and I want it to be with Lone Wolf because they are a set of good people who should be rewarded for making a great product. However, I, like many on this forum or the wider web don't want HLO or a subscription model. We don't want it for VALID reasons and such a product is DOA/not fit-for-purpose. HLC is fit-for-purpose and we all want to keep throwing money at the company if you are willing to just give us Starfinder/2e in that format.

Last edited by darkops; August 9th, 2018 at 09:24 AM.
darkops is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 9th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkops View Post
My first post is a clear "PLEASE TAKE MY MONEY". HLC is an awesome, amazing, efficient, user friendly piece of software. It has stripped away the less enjoyable parts of pathfinder and accentuates the more fun ones (quick PC building without the need of deep game mastery, more game immersion vs. people stuck doing math, helps out GMs with encounters creation, etc.). I want that tradition to continue and I want it to be with Lone Wolf because they are a set of good people who should be rewarded for making a great product. However, I, like many on this forum or the wider web don't want HLO or a subscription model. We don't want it for VALID reasons and such a product is DOA/not fit-for-purpose. HLC is fit-for-purpose and we all want to keep throwing money at the company if you are willing to just give us Starfinder/2e in that format.
Thumbs up to this :-)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
flyteach

Old August 9th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Well, being an android user for 7 years, I can understand the request. But, I'm not sure the balance has been taken into account of how many people lose capability when out of range from internet. Especially those same Android users who now find out that they need good access. Time will tell.
flyteach is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
dballing

Old August 9th, 2018, 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyteach View Post
Well, being an android user for 7 years, I can understand the request. But, I'm not sure the balance has been taken into account of how many people lose capability when out of range from internet. Especially those same Android users who now find out that they need good access. Time will tell.
I'm surprised it wasn't readily obvious to anyone at GenCon, where the coverage is notoriously shit-tastic.
dballing is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
Toblakai

Old August 9th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dballing View Post
I'm surprised it wasn't readily obvious to anyone at GenCon, where the coverage is notoriously shit-tastic.
This was my first Gencon and my access to the internet was fine, I had heard it would be bad, but I had no issue. (using ATT). I didn't purchase it, but the convention sold wireless access for about $13 a day, no idea how good it is though.
Toblakai is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old August 9th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dballing View Post
I have been to GenCon several times and I had great LTE access via my phone and iPad. I watched some videos and other stuff without any issues and even did facetime with my wife.

I do admit I was never in any basements or anything but the standard GenCon rooms did not interfere with my connections.

At one point I even had to remote into a computer at my work place and fix some issues. Had no issues seeing a remote computers desktop and doing work. Pretty sure that requires more bandwidth than HLO does.

I am not saying people don't find "bad" areas but I have not been in a low cell coverage area in a long time in the US.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Jamz

Old August 9th, 2018, 04:42 PM
FWIW, the sagamore ballroom had great reception. Now, I did have games in crown plaza, homewood suites, and other rooms in IIC.

Most had decent bars, but I did have a few that made my phone go into roaming... Luckily I didn't need HLO then and their...

All I would say is, the chances of having good signal when I need it is good, but I'd be pretty pissed if I got to a game where I DID need and didn't have it. The real problem is you will never know until it's too late at a con...You are already their, what do you do then?

-Jamz

RPTools.net | MapTool Discord Invite

Download Latest MapTool Release | Download Latest TokenTool Release
Jamz is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old August 9th, 2018, 08:36 PM
While I didn't try using HLO during Gen Con this year (I don't play Starfinder and didn't need to make a character for my one Playtest session) I can comment a bit on Internet in the ICC and close-in northern hotels. For reference, I have an older phone on T-Mobile, which I sometimes use for a hotspot for my Windows tablet.

I've had decent luck the last couple of years on the upstairs edges in the ICC; HLO users are probably getting helped quite a bit by the Paizo events being in the Sagamore.

I've never had good reception in the covered rooms on the first floor and this year was no exception. I've had mixed luck in recent years in the Exhibit Halls, but unfortunately I didn't use the Internet on my phone there this year.

Many of the hotels nowadays are giving free WiFi in the lobby areas. We were in the Westin this year and had free WiFi in the sleeping rooms as well. In previous years I have had no luck using phone-based internet during the day and early evening in my hotel room.

Last edited by Parody; August 10th, 2018 at 06:40 AM.
Parody is offline   #39 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 11th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Many of you may find the new thread I just created of interest, as it seeks to provide some insight into our "vision" with HLOnline and touches on some of the comments and concerns made upthread. You'll find it here:
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=61062
rob is offline   #40 Reply With Quote