Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Davron

Old May 25th, 2018, 12:11 AM
So is there a trick in Hero Lab that I'm missing that lets you use a pulldown to specify which spell is on the current page and what the spell DC is along with the spell effect at level? My character is a swashbuckler.
Davron is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 25th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Hello,

Due to the severely random nature of this Artifact there was limited development of the "generative" functions of this item in the Client.

First each BoIS has 1d8+22 pages.
Then each Page has a 1-100 Percentile roll to contain either a Divine or Arcane spell.
Then Each Spell is supposed to be "Randomly" determined although it fails to note which sources these Spells should come from, the Core Rules, ALL PF 1st Party Spells, etc.
Then when a given page is Generated and then Used there is a variable chance that the page will disappear permanently.

For now I personally advise making sure your have the Artifact Description included in the Character Sheet Printout and working together with your GM at the table to generate which spells are on which pages, and the like, as HLC isn't able to properly make the relevant decisions involved with them item. Being as powerful as it is, I think it's probably best for GMs to take responsibility for the Tracking features of the Item if they choose to use it for their game.

I hope this helps, sorry we don't have a built in function for this item as you asked.

--
Ryan Furnas
Lone Wolf Development Support - support@wolflair.com
http://www.wolflair.com
Ryan F is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Davron

Old May 25th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Right, I wasn't asking for you to generate, but to just track once we've generated the page. That's kind of the biggest purpose of HL is to replace your character sheet and the various handouts and notes pages. You have the ability to track many other things for items and with the adjustment feature you can even add a spell to a class, but this specific item doesn't have the drop down dialog that so many other things have, though I guess the "Ring of Spell Storing" only has a type in field instead of a drop down that adds it to the spontaneous caster's available spells. Since the item as it exists doesn't do this, I'll see if there is a way I can hack the item to work.
Davron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 25th, 2018, 06:45 PM
I could easily add a user field to type in, similar to the ring of spell storing. Would that suffice?
Aaron is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Sarelth

Old May 26th, 2018, 01:17 AM
I would love that addition for the item Aaron. It would help for my game for sure.

Current Games:
5E Homebrew - DM

Recent Games:
Shadowrun 5E - GM
Pathfinder Homebrew - DM
Curse of Strahd 5E - Player

My HL Files - Birthright, Creatures, and items
Birthright Setting and D20Despot Let me know if it breaks.
Sarelth is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old May 26th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I could easily add a user field to type in, similar to the ring of spell storing. Would that suffice?
Sounds good but would it be possible to have a pull down list of all the spells and be able to select one. Then it could be added to spells being able to cast.
Dwayne is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Davron

Old May 26th, 2018, 05:24 PM
I think the other two said it. I've already added a "type in field" using the item editor. So far I can also get it to contain a spells page, but only for a fixed spell list and I think the saving throw DC is wrong on it. I had thought I might be able to make it like a staff, but I haven't figured that out yet with the ability to select on the magic items tab.

But, as a side note, I think the Ring of Spell Storing should also have the same feature where you can drop down dialogue box it and pick the spell it learned and have it add it to your spontaneous caster's list of known spells that way instead of having to add it to your own spells known and have that tab go red and then having to go to the adjustment tab to add a spell known.

Last edited by Davron; May 26th, 2018 at 05:27 PM.
Davron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Davron

Old May 26th, 2018, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwayne View Post
Sounds good but would it be possible to have a pull down list of all the spells and be able to select one. Then it could be added to spells being able to cast.
Actually I didn't read these in the right order. This feature is the one I'm looking for since I think it would be really useful for the Ring of Spell storing and this one as well.
Davron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dwayne

Old May 31st, 2018, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davron View Post
Actually I didn't read these in the right order. This feature is the one I'm looking for since I think it would be really useful for the Ring of Spell storing and this one as well.
I wouldn't count on it being implemented. Notice the silence. They are spending most of their time working on HLO. There are hundred's of other things that have not been implemented that have a note that they will be implemented in the future. Years have gone by and they have not been implemented. Now with the new edition of Pathfinder coming out on HLO Pathfinder will never see those things implemented. Just my opinion.
Dwayne is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 31st, 2018, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davron View Post
For that functionality, it's not something as simple as adding a dropdown, or I would happily do that. The item would have to be rebuilt as a container with a gizmo, similar to the page of spell knowledge, etc. Dwayne enjoys reminding us that we don't have infinite manpower, which is why I offered the solution I did. We do the best we can with what we have, and that's good enough for some, but not everyone. * shrug *
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote