Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Thrantor

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Another thought of something I'd like. The ability to somewhat easily export a map into the common formats for VTT games. Since most of my prep will be in RealmWorks, I'd like to be able to take a map I've put in realmworks and somewhat easily get it into MapTools or some other program.

The way I see it is similar to my current campaign in kingmaker. There are quite a few maps in the book that you may or may not need. They can be played without having a map since they are so short.

So rather than waste time converting ALL of my maps to maps for the VTT game... if I can go... Oh, crap... we DO need this map and then quickly pull it up. That would be excellent.
Thrantor is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
Fox Lee

Old May 16th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Hope this helps!
It certainly does I'll keep on hoping for the randomiser, but in the mean time it sure sounds like the core program is everything I've hoped for. I will be eagerly awaiting a public release!

Fox Lee, The Art Gremblin
Invincible Ink - Original indie tabletop games on demand
The Square Fireball - Where it's 4th Edition Forever
Skies of Escarnum - Inclusive anime-flavoured 4e campaign world
HeroLab 4e patch contributor
Fox Lee is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrantor View Post
Another thought of something I'd like. The ability to somewhat easily export a map into the common formats for VTT games. Since most of my prep will be in RealmWorks, I'd like to be able to take a map I've put in realmworks and somewhat easily get it into MapTools or some other program.
Realm Works will not include its own map creation tool initially. There are a number of reasonable tools available for creating maps today, so we're not attempting to re-invent that wheel in the initial release. You will instead import your maps into Realm Works and then utilize them appropriately, putting pins on them for assorted locations and what-not. The original map file can be stored within the Realm Works database so you can readily edit it to make changes on any computer. However, conversion to different VTT formats will require user involvement, just like it does today. Please note that this applies only to the *initial* release of Realm Works and is subject to change based on user feedback and requests.
rob is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old May 22nd, 2012, 09:44 PM
Quote:
You will instead import your maps into Realm Works and then utilize them appropriately, putting pins on them for assorted locations and what-not.
Do you have a rough idea yet of the formats RW will support?
Spence is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM
I haven't seen if this has been suggested before... But calendars. I want to be able to have a calendar and advance the games calendar.

If I want these festivals and thigns to happens on these days I want to be able to put them on a calendar and have the realmworks tell me when they happen.

That way I don't accidentally miss either a festival for a local god or the end of the world. Nothing worse than saying... "oh, right... Umm... I actually forgot to mention. Since you didn't save the world... it ended two days ago."

Although, it also wouldn't be bad for those political campaigns where a listing of events are supposed to happen over the course of a day. 8am... king killed. 9am... cabinet killed... 10am brunch... 11 am... attempt on party... 12pm. regent declared... 3pm. final attack on party.
Thrantor is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
There are a number of reasonable tools available for creating maps today.
Any recommendations?
Thrantor is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Do you have a rough idea yet of the formats RW will support?
RW recognizes all the major image formats (e.g. TIFF, BMP, PNG, JPEG, etc.). If you use a special program to generate your maps, you can also store those files as well (e.g. PSD) within the database and edit them externally via the appropriate program you already use.
rob is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrantor View Post
Any recommendations?
A couple that I have found useful include Dundjinni and Hexographer. There are also Campaign Cartographer and Fractal Mapper. I've heard of others as well, but I can't remember their names at the moment.

Hope this helps...
rob is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
thedarkelf007

Send a message via MSN to thedarkelf007 Send a message via Yahoo to thedarkelf007

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Campaign cartographer is very cool, but the learning curve is very steep.
thedarkelf007 is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
Cullyn

Send a message via AIM to Cullyn Send a message via Yahoo to Cullyn

Old May 30th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Sadly, Dundjinni has been deader than a doornail for some time now. At least as far as I've been able to find. If anyone has other information on that I'd be glad to hear it.
Cullyn is offline   #60 Reply With Quote