Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Sarelth

Old May 26th, 2019, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmrider View Post
Hi Shadow,

I am trying to make a new class, but when I run the Test on it I am getting a number of errors.

Here is a copy of them, most are in the Shadow community packs. I am wondering if there is an update or if I should just remove them temporarily.

I have done all updates that have been shown and not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thank you for your help.
That is a common and known issue while making new things with the editor, due to some yet unfixed memory leak. You just have to restart the program and it should go away. Frustrating for testing, but you get used to it after a while.

Current Games:
5E Homebrew - DM

Recent Games:
Shadowrun 5E - GM
Pathfinder Homebrew - DM
Curse of Strahd 5E - Player

My HL Files - Birthright, Creatures, and items
Birthright Setting and D20Despot Let me know if it breaks.
Sarelth is offline   #1671 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 26th, 2019, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarelth View Post
That is a common and known issue while making new things with the editor, due to some yet unfixed memory leak. You just have to restart the program and it should go away. Frustrating for testing, but you get used to it after a while.
The 64-bit open beta version does not show this same problem... probably because it has more memory capacity to work with. So I make sure I use the 64-bit version for editing and the 32-bit for play (RealmWorks integration does not play well with the 64-bit HeroLab beta).
Silveras is offline   #1672 Reply With Quote
Sturmrider

Old May 26th, 2019, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarelth View Post
Thank you will tackle it now knowing of the issue.

Take care.

Regards,

Larry
Sturmrider is offline   #1673 Reply With Quote
Sarelth

Old June 1st, 2019, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The 64-bit open beta version does not show this same problem... probably because it has more memory capacity to work with. So I make sure I use the 64-bit version for editing and the 32-bit for play (RealmWorks integration does not play well with the 64-bit HeroLab beta).
That is good to know, I will have to hunt down the 64 bit beta version then myself. WOuld be very helpful.

Current Games:
5E Homebrew - DM

Recent Games:
Shadowrun 5E - GM
Pathfinder Homebrew - DM
Curse of Strahd 5E - Player

My HL Files - Birthright, Creatures, and items
Birthright Setting and D20Despot Let me know if it breaks.
Sarelth is offline   #1674 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 2nd, 2019, 06:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
The 64-bit open beta version does not show this same problem... probably because it has more memory capacity to work with.
That's a shame. It puts a bandaid on it such that it will probably never get fixed (as a programmer, I can say, "been there, seen that, have the t-shirt"). Or maybe the process of porting it to 64-bit solved the issue somehow...?
Azhrei is offline   #1675 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old June 2nd, 2019, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhrei View Post
That's a shame. It puts a bandaid on it such that it will probably never get fixed (as a programmer, I can say, "been there, seen that, have the t-shirt"). Or maybe the process of porting it to 64-bit solved the issue somehow...?
The problem appears to be the 32-bit version running out of memory because the data set for Pathfinder is too big; thus the problem is fixed by using technology that allows more memory to be accessed.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #1676 Reply With Quote
willwrk4internet

Old June 2nd, 2019, 06:59 PM
Hi all, I have been using Hero Lab for a few years now, but I just recently got into the community packs. First let me say wow. I am in awe of all the work that the community/forum members have put into this.
I have played around with the community packs and read the release notes, but I haven't found any "official" documentation. Is there a help or readme file for the content in the community pack?
A more basic question is how do I find new content that I import from the community pack? If I choose a source such as "ShadowChemosh's Adjustments" I have no idea where to find this content within Hero Lab. I am especially interested in getting the community bestiary for Paizo modules (e.g. "Dragon's Demand").
I suppose if I knew where to find the content I wouldn't need much documentation, because I could just play around with it. But help with either or both of my questions would be greatly appreciated!
willwrk4internet is offline   #1677 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 3rd, 2019, 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
The problem appears to be the 32-bit version running out of memory because the data set for Pathfinder is too big; thus the problem is fixed by using technology that allows more memory to be accessed.
Huh? That doesn't make any sense, because a second attempt will work. How can that be if the problem is a lack of addressing space?

Without knowing the code, there could be an issue where memory is allocated and the return value isn't checked to ensure memory was actually allocated. There's a possibility that the memory is allocated, but a dangling pointer results in the allocation being "forgotten" such that the code can't find that element in the future. Or it could just be a bug in managing pointers and have nothing to do with memory allocation at all.

Since it's not an open source project, there's no way for experienced programmers in the community to do anything more than speculate. And while I've disassembled code in the past to fix bugs, those were back in the days when I had infinitely more time.
Azhrei is offline   #1678 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old June 3rd, 2019, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwrk4internet View Post
Hi all, I have been using Hero Lab for a few years now, but I just recently got into the community packs. First let me say wow. I am in awe of all the work that the community/forum members have put into this.
Thanks!

Quote:
I have played around with the community packs and read the release notes, but I haven't found any "official" documentation. Is there a help or readme file for the content in the community pack?
I tried to keep some documentation but the Community Pack grew faster than I could keep up with it. So unfortunately nothing like this exists.

Quote:
A more basic question is how do I find new content that I import from the community pack? If I choose a source such as "ShadowChemosh's Adjustments" I have no idea where to find this content within Hero Lab.
This adds in new adjustments that can be found on the "Adjust" tab. If you turn on a specific source like Path of War then you will find new classes, feats, equipment from that book.

As everything is source marked this means you could search via the source name. In example if you go to the Adjust tab and and open a list of adjustments then type in "ShadowChemosh" at the top you will see all the adjustments that are attached to that source.

The one weird thing is my adjustments also add new skills that you can add on the Skills tab for concentration.

Quote:
I am especially interested in getting the community bestiary for Paizo modules (e.g. "Dragon's Demand").
The pre-built encounters are actually downloaded separate over at d20pfsrd from the community repository. Also note that the old Community Bestiary has been rolled into the Community Pack (all in one now).

Last thing to know is that community created encounters are different from the ones purchased from LW. If an encounter pulls a monster from a standard Paizo source the community didn't re-create it meaning you will need some of the Bestiary books from LW.

Quote:
I suppose if I knew where to find the content I wouldn't need much documentation, because I could just play around with it. But help with either or both of my questions would be greatly appreciated!
Hopefully this helps some...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #1679 Reply With Quote
LoppnessMonsta

Old June 6th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Hello! I've been using Hero Lab for a while, and have been enjoying the Community Pack almost as long.

I've bumped into something I would imagine to be an easy fix... for someone who knows what they're doing, which I do not.

The Skald (Spell Warrior) archetype gives a class feature similar to Magus's Arcane Pool, and the Community Pack adjustment for that Magus ability works fantastic. However, the Skald version is not quite the same. The list of enchantments that can be applied to the weapons is slightly different:

Skald gets Dancing, Defending, Distance, Flaming, Frost, Ghost Touch, Keen, Mighty Cleaving, Returning, Shock, Seeking, or Speed.

Magus gets (and the adjustment has) Dancing, Flaming, Flaming Burst, Frost, Icy Burst, Keen, Shock, Shocking Burst, Speed, and Vorpal.

How do I go about creating an adjustment that functions like the Magus adjustment, but has a different Enchantment list? I've never created a custom adjustment before, and frankly it's quite daunting, even with the existing Adjustment to copy from.
LoppnessMonsta is offline   #1680 Reply With Quote